Mileage discrepency on my Civic's odometer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patman

Staff member
Yesterday morning my Civic's odometer rolled over 100,000 miles and for the first time I noticed that when I switch it from kilometers to miles the mileage is slightly different! For example, right now it has 100,022 miles on it but when I switch it back to km it reads 161,035. If you do a proper miles to km conversion it should actually read 160,969! (or conversely, if you converted the km reading of 161,035 to miles then the mileage is actually 100,062 miles!) I wonder why the conversion is so far off? On my Corvette when I switch it back and forth it reads properly. Has anyone else with a Honda noticed this? I know that no odometer is going to be 100% accurate due to different circumferences of tires (even with the same tire from full tread depth to low tread for example) but it still seems odd that the conversion from one to the other is not even correct.

It looks like the engineers rounded off and stopped at the second decimal, thus making 1 mile equal 1.61 km. Probably close enough for most people's needs.

It couldn't have been the engineers. It had to have been the bean counters figuring they could save a few bucks by scrimping on decimal places.

Ed

Originally Posted By: Gotch
There is a a lawsuit about this. You should have gotten somthing in the mail. Warranties have been extended. Class action lawsuit. Check 8gen civic formus for details.

http://www.8thcivic.com/forums/

But the lawsuit isn't about the miles to km conversion being off, it's about the entire odometer reading too fast. But the two figures should still be tracking at the same rate though.

On a side note, it would suck to think my MPG is actually 4% worse than I have thought I was getting
frown.gif

see if you keep on switching, does it accumulate the error? Like old calculator with square root and square function! If the error accumulate and it is in your favor, if you keep on switching, you will be able to take off the miles(kilometers!)

Originally Posted By: Char Baby
How do you switch between the two? What button?

I'm not sure if the US cars have this feature, but on the Canadian cars there are two buttons for the odometer, one is the reset/switch mode button and the one to the left of it switches from km to miles (for both the odometer and digital speedo)

Originally Posted By: Patman
Originally Posted By: Gotch
There is a a lawsuit about this. You should have gotten somthing in the mail. Warranties have been extended. Class action lawsuit. Check 8gen civic formus for details.

http://www.8thcivic.com/forums/

But the lawsuit isn't about the miles to km conversion being off, it's about the entire odometer reading too fast. But the two figures should still be tracking at the same rate though.

My bad, I was under the impression that the reading (overall) was off.

On a side note, it would suck to think my MPG is actually 4% worse than I have thought I was getting
frown.gif

On the topic of the mileage reading 4% too high, are the speedos in these cars also reading too high as well? I know that my speedo reads dead on, as anytime I pass by one of those radar units that show your speed, my reading is identical.

I finally got the chance to drive my Corvette to work so that I could measure the distance and compare it to what the odometer in the Civic showed, and am happy to report that they both show the same distance, so it doesn't look like my Civic's odometer is reading too high at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back