Mike Portnoy to return to Dream Theater!

Patman

Staff member
I am beyond excited at just hearing the news that Mike Portnoy will be coming back to Dream Theater! Mangini is technically good but he is kinda like a robot behind the drums. Portnoy is the closest thing to Neil Peart and I can't wait to hear the music they come up with now! I've seen DT live four times, but only from 2019 on so I never got the chance to see them with Portnoy. Now I can!

Woah? How did this happen? I noticed Mangini is doing other things lately.

I'm blown away too, I had no idea this was even in the works! Caught me completely off guard and at first I thought it was an April fools joke but it's posted right on Dream Theater's Facebook page and on their webpage there is a press release.

I'm blown away too, I had no idea this was even in the works! Caught me completely off guard and at first I thought it was an April fools joke but it's posted right on Dream Theater's Facebook page and on their webpage there is a press release.
I just saw that too. I wonder what happened?

i had images and words with me in cd format when i was deployed in Bosnia during the war in 93-95. i had a portable Denon cd player. this album is the reason i did not lose my sanity during my 2 tour of duty in Bosnia. when i came back from my second tour in December 1995, i went to Steve's music store in Montreal, and i bought a gigantic double bass drum kit. this is the best news in years. they will become bigger than they ever been.

If you are a fan of Portnoy, check this out. YYNOT is a Rush tribute band but they also have 3 original albums as well. There is a heavy Rush influence in the band but the originals are very good too. Their regular drummer Mike Hetzel also plays a lot like Neil Peart. Back in January the band did a benefit show called Bubba Bash, it featured some guest musicians and the proceeds from the show went to benefit Cedars-Mount Sinai Hospital. Portnoy played in this version of 2112 at the show. They now have another Bubba Bash set for Jan. 6, 2024 in Pennsylvania, Portnoy is already on the list of guest musicians for that one too. It is good he is back with Dream Theater. I think I heard that his other band The Winery Dogs has called it quits. Their last album was not very good.

Back