Might purchase a 1991 Buick Reatta

You're all slobbery over the car and condition.... and you offer 50% of an already low price? You won't be $3k all in at asking price for tires and tune.

If I found the dream car of my youth for twice that in that condition I'd own it. Considering my dream car was a '63 XKE roadster it's getting more unlikely by the day. 😣

I offered what I thought was a fair price for the car. I don't feel that $1,400 is a "low" price for an obscure, faded paint, faded interior, 30 year old GM car regardless of how I "feel" about it.

Mint condition Reatta's sell for $4-6k. Decent examples sell for $3k. This is neither of those. This is a fixer, bottom line.

Most reliable car I’ve ever owned was a 1991 Regal Gran Sport with the 3800. The only repair I ever had to make (other than oil changes and brake pads) was an alternator at 148,000 miles…
I remember building those in Oshawa as a student- those and Luminas. Best things Buick did was make a four door out of that model.

Update: I'm delighted to say that I will soon be the proud owner of said Reatta. The seller agreed to $800, as well as allowing me to store it where it sits for another couple weeks.

The way I see it, I'm facing two scenarios:

1. I put $3-500 in mechanical "freshening" into the thing, and drive it as-is. Patina and all.

2. I find some major mechanical fault, and sell it as a running parts car to another Reatta fan, likely at a profit given the scarcity of some of the parts.

Update: I'm delighted to say that I will soon be the proud owner of said Reatta. The seller agreed to $800, as well as allowing me to store it where it sits for another couple weeks.

1. I put $3-500 in mechanical "freshening" into the thing, and drive it as-is. Patina and all.

2. I find some major mechanical fault, and sell it as a running parts car to another Reatta fan, likely at a profit given the scarcity of some of the parts.

Congrats, please keep us updated!

You stole it for $800. There's an 88 with 150k miles in nowhere near as good as condition as yours, and they want a laughable $3600.

Appreciate that! I absolutely stole it, however I truly believe that I paid what the car is worth. Yes, it has low miles. Yes, it's rust free. Yes, it started and went into gear with nothing but a jump pack and a tankful of stale fuel. Other than that, I'm flying blind.

Excellent deal 🤝
When it's in your possession, lots of pictures 🥰
If you find yourself in need of an ALDL/OBD1 scan tool for it, I'm overstocked and they've gotta go
Rather to someone who could need it 😉

Thank you for the offer! What kind of scan tool is it? The Reatta (like many digital dash GM vehicles of the era) has built in diagnostics within the instrument cluster which can display code data from ALL the modules in the vehicle. It's a great feature.

Cool! Keep 'em alive! Fix it up and have fun with it. I'm glad oyu got it for your price. You did very well.

Cool! Keep 'em alive! Fix it up and have fun with it. I'm glad oyu got it for your price. You did very well.

Thanks for the vote of confidence! It's going to be a bit of a challenge when it comes to things like electrical parts and some unique items, however I don't plan on making it a "show car" I like the idea of having a "classic" while still being able to enjoy it without worrying about every parking lot ding and water spot.

Thanks for the vote of confidence! It's going to be a bit of a challenge when it comes to things like electrical parts and some unique items, however I don't plan on making it a "show car" I like the idea of having a "classic" while still being able to enjoy it without worrying about every parking lot ding and water spot.
My ghetto ride... A '68 L36 "Plain Jane" roadster.
68 side.jpg

That old thing? That's all you've got?

Kidding, of course. That's an absolutely beautiful C3. 427/390? Tesla owners despise you. Allow me to tip my hat, good sir.
Yes, I call it "Plain Jane" because of the few options. L36 427/390, 3:36 Posi (included), 4 speed wide ratio Muncie. It does have AM/FM Stereo, which was pretty rare and expensive in 1968. The car is now in Gig Harbor, WA. I gave it to my BIL to install the new soft top and interior pieces. He wants to pull and detail the original 427 and put in a nasty roller BB. Heck, the torque monster will get sideways in 2nd gear with too much throttle. And that's with the 16x8 Chrome Ralleys and sticky Comp TA 50 series rubber. The above pic has the one year only 15x7 Ralleys. They have no prayer...

You may know we have a Tesla Model 3, and I plan on getting another when the refresh comes out this fall. Maybe. Probably. Who knows?
But no more Corvettes for me.

I just looked up a year by year changelog, looks like '91 was the final and best year
First Generation/Origins (1988–1991)
  • All new model.
  • Mid-year running change from leather and suede seating to all-leather due to durability concerns.
  • Mid-year running change from silver/black 'R' logo horn button to color "sunburst" 'R' logo.
  • Mid-year, sunroof option becomes available.

• Larger 'R' "sunburst" hood ornament.
  • Remote controlled glove box door replaced with a conventional locking door.
  • Remote trunk and gas door release buttons relocated to glovebox from center console.
  • Keyless entry added as standard.
  • Revised, hydraulic engine mounts.

• Interior revised. Touchscreen eliminated and replace with a more conventional digital dash with GM standard-issue stereo radio-cassette player and HVAC controls housed within a new rounded dash enclosure.
  • Power window controls relocated from center console to door-mounted armrests.
  • Rear quarters' component speakers replaced with conventional 4X6 units.
  • Illuminated door lock keyways eliminated.
  • Steering wheel airbag added as standard.
  • Optional CD player offered as an add-on to the standard stereo radio with cassette player.
  • Convertible model debuts.

• 3800 Series I engine as standard, with increased horsepower and torque coupled to a new electronically-controlled 4T60-E 4-speed automatic transmission with revised gear ratios.
  • Teves anti-lock braking system replaced with a new vacuum-driven system.
  • Twilight Sentinel automatic headlights added as standard.
  • 16" aluminum alloy wheels replaced previous years' 15" rims.
  • Cupholder added to center console armrest.

Electronic controlled 4T60E, the better Series I 3800, keyless entry, airbag, twilight sentinel
A cupholder :love:

What a car, I respectfully demand more pictures when they become available

Yes, I call it "Plain Jane" because of the few options. L36 427/390, 3:36 Posi (included), 4 speed wide ratio Muncie. It does have AM/FM Stereo, which was pretty rare and expensive in 1968. The car is now in Gig Harbor, WA. I gave it to my BIL to install the new soft top and interior pieces. He wants to pull and detail the original 427 and put in a nasty roller BB. Heck, the torque monster will get sideways in 2nd gear with too much throttle. And that's with the 16x8 Chrome Ralleys and sticky Comp TA 50 series rubber. The above pic has the one year only 15x7 Ralleys. They have no prayer...

You may know we have a Tesla Model 3, and I plan on getting another when the refresh comes out this fall. Maybe. Probably. Who knows?
But no more Corvettes for me.

I do hope that you received my Tesla comment as tongue-in-cheek. I have very little experience with Tesla's, but the few I've driven are impressive.

I just looked up a year by year changelog, looks like '91 was the final and best year
First Generation/Origins (1988–1991)
  • All new model.
  • Mid-year running change from leather and suede seating to all-leather due to durability concerns.
  • Mid-year running change from silver/black 'R' logo horn button to color "sunburst" 'R' logo.
  • Mid-year, sunroof option becomes available.

• Larger 'R' "sunburst" hood ornament.
  • Remote controlled glove box door replaced with a conventional locking door.
  • Remote trunk and gas door release buttons relocated to glovebox from center console.
  • Keyless entry added as standard.
  • Revised, hydraulic engine mounts.

• Interior revised. Touchscreen eliminated and replace with a more conventional digital dash with GM standard-issue stereo radio-cassette player and HVAC controls housed within a new rounded dash enclosure.
  • Power window controls relocated from center console to door-mounted armrests.
  • Rear quarters' component speakers replaced with conventional 4X6 units.
  • Illuminated door lock keyways eliminated.
  • Steering wheel airbag added as standard.
  • Optional CD player offered as an add-on to the standard stereo radio with cassette player.
  • Convertible model debuts.

• 3800 Series I engine as standard, with increased horsepower and torque coupled to a new electronically-controlled 4T60-E 4-speed automatic transmission with revised gear ratios.
  • Teves anti-lock braking system replaced with a new vacuum-driven system.
  • Twilight Sentinel automatic headlights added as standard.
  • 16" aluminum alloy wheels replaced previous years' 15" rims.
  • Cupholder added to center console armrest.

Electronic controlled 4T60E, the better Series I 3800, keyless entry, airbag, twilight sentinel
A cupholder :love:

What a car, I respectfully demand more pictures when they become available

I promise everyone a full photo dump ASAP. You're absolutely right: the 1991 model is hands down the most desirable of the series, which was a huge factor when considering the purchase.

Had it been anything earlier, I probably would have passed for one reason: TEVES brakes. The '91 models, with their conventional vacuum brakes and Bosch ABS module are far more reliable, save the one year only ABS sensor's up front.

The tricky thing about owning a vehicle such as this comes down to the multitude of unique (AKA irreplaceable) components. For example: the windshield for the Reatta has long been discontinued. From what I've read, assuming you can find a donor car and a glass guy capable/willing to R&R a used windshield, it's a $2k+ repair.

Same goes for the rear struts. Monroe, the sole remaining supplier, discontinued the part a couple 2-3 years ago. So far, there is no viable alternative.

Last edited:
Back