Might purchase a 1991 Buick Reatta

A car I've lusted over since childhood... I'll try to withhold my excitement and stick to the facts:

1991 model, which is both the last and best of the range due to several improvements (16" wheels, Series I 3800, 4T60-E transmission, vacuum assist brakes vs. TEVES)

Bright red over Torch Red interior

93k original miles

All original, except for an aftermarket radio

ZERO rust

The car has been sitting for at least 2.5 years, however after checking the fluids and hooking up a jump pack she fired to life after maybe 5 revolutions. ZERO lifter tick, no rattles, perfect voltage and oil pressure. Even the pop-up headlights work. The transmission fluid is bright red, and although I couldn't actually move the car I did verify that it went into reverse and drive.

I offered $700 for the car, against an asking price of $1,350. I'm waiting to hear back with bated breath!

reatta.jpg

from looking at the one photo and your description of the running condition likely a steal at $750 and could very well be worth the asking price or more in this market.
If this is your dream car i hope you get it Good Luck ..

from looking at the one photo and your description of the running condition likely a steal at $750 and could very well be worth the asking price or more in this market.

Very nice car!

Only question- why are their leaves in the picture?

That picture is from the for sale listing. When I went to see the car today, the owner and her father were digging it out from it's winter slumber. We only dug it out enough for me to access the drivers door and get the hood open.

The car is no cosmetic queen. It has paint fade, the front bumper is a little tweaked, etc, however now that I've seen it in person I'm confident that it either spent a large portion of it's days in a dry southern climate, or it was only used on dry days here in the Midwest. There was even a car cover in the back luggage area.

If it has never been winter driven you have really good bones so to speak to work with solid drive train in my eyes perfect ?
who cares about some slight cosmetic blemishes at that price.

I like those cars. Good luck getting it for that price, I hope they go for it.

Thanks for the vote of support. I don't actually expect to get the thing for $700, however I also feel as though I gave her a fair offer.

The Reatta, while "unique", remains obscure and therefore forgotten. I checked the market: beautiful examples are changing hands in the $6k-$10k range currently. As such, the $1,350 asking price for this example is actually quite fair given it's condition.

I don't value based on the market. While the Reatta is absolutely unique, it also must be appreciated for what it is: a hand built Eldorado minus the V8 power and the Cadillac status. Putting aside it's "panache", I find myself faced with a 20 year old GM car that hasn't been on the road in years. Brakes, fluids, tires, tune-up. It adds up fast.

The Buick dealership on Main St. in Hackensack got one in.
The salesman told me Buick made it to get people into the dealerships.
I thought it was cool he said that to a snot-nosed kid like me. I remember the interior being disgustingly plastic.
The exterior was the last of the GM show-car imagery.

There was a corresponding Cadillac model during that same era.
GM was gulping air to oxygenate its death throws.

I concur with the "If you want it, buy it" crowd.

I find myself faced with a 20 year old GM car that hasn't been on the road in years. Brakes, fluids, tires, tune-up. It adds up fast.
Oohh then, don't buy it.

I've been amazed at the number of nice ones I've found scrapped here. Does the HVAC system use the CRT control in the '91? I can't recall the evolution of the dash changes.

I've been amazed at the number of nice ones I've found scrapped here. Does the HVAC system use the CRT control in the '91? I can't recall the evolution of the dash changes.

Nope, the '91 has a completely redesigned interior which featured a new "digital analog" instrument cluster and a plain old radio/climate setup.

Make sure the windshield is good as replacements are nearly unobtanium. You will pay more than the seller here is asking for the whole car, for a used windshield that nobody will install. Have two older red ones. The CRT in my '88 is pretty cool and is way ahead of it's time.

You're all slobbery over the car and condition.... and you offer 50% of an already low price? You won't be $3k all in at asking price for tires and tune.

If I found the dream car of my youth for twice that in that condition I'd own it. Considering my dream car was a '63 XKE roadster it's getting more unlikely by the day. 😣

Back