Microsoft Outlook 2007 ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I may be switching internet service providers in the near future. What is the best way to keep all of the e-mails I don't want to lose? Do I overlap the ISP services and e-mail all the messages I want to keep, from my existing service to my new e-mail address? Can I backup Outlook 2007 somehow and restore once I have my new e-mail address? Or is there another (better) way?

I guess if I used one of the generic e-mail accounts, such as gmail, hotmail etc, I wouldn't have this issue.

Any help is greatly appreciated and thanks, in advance.

If you are using Outlook the you should be able to simply add a new account, you can have multiple accounts. Once the old service is disabled just remove the check box for "include in send/receive" (on the old account) so it isn't still trying to get new mail (from the old service).

Last edited:
If you're using Outlook, then you've got local copies of anything on the server, and it won't matter if the remote copies go away.

Is your email address changing?

Originally Posted By: JD Green
Tegger: Yes, my e-mail address will be changing.

Do you want the new-address messages to be seamlessly added to the old-address messages?

Originally Posted By: DuckRyder
If you are using Outlook the you should be able to simply add a new account, you can have multiple accounts. Once the old service is disabled just remove the check box for "include in send/receive" (on the old account) so it isn't still trying to get new mail (from the old service).

This!

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL

This!

Not necessarily.

If the OP wants his existing message store to continue uninterrupted, then he needs to simply change the settings on his existing account to point to the new server.

If the OP wants to start a completely new message store, then he would create a new account.

Originally Posted By: Tegger

This!

Not necessarily.

If the OP wants his existing message store to continue uninterrupted, then he needs to simply change the settings on his existing account to point to the new server.

If the OP wants to start a completely new message store, then he would create a new account.

If he wants to use both accounts simultaneously and continue on with his current message store, address book and calendar (which was the impression I got) then he need only add a new account under "accounts" in Outlook, and then, when his old account is no longer functional, he can remove it from that list.

In this instance, he will then also be able to change the default account on the profile and continue to receive mail from both accounts until the old is terminated.

All he needs to do is go into the options (*i think * could be accounts) and add an e-mail account (to the same profile). DO NOT change the present e-mail account.

He can keep his old messages and the new ones.

He will have 2 "inboxes" in the folder tree, but he can reply to old messages using the new account. The will be a little box under "send" that says "use account XXX@XXXX" or something close to that.

I did exactly this with 3 e-mails plus a hotmail account for years.

Last edited:
All he needs to do is go into the options (*i think * could be accounts) and add an e-mail account (to the same profile). DO NOT change the present e-mail account.

He will have 2 "inboxes" in the folder tree, but he can reply to old messages using the new account. The will be a little box under "send" that says "use account XXX@XXXX" or something close to that.

It can all come in under a common inbox as well, which is how I have 3x of my accounts setup in Outlook 2007.

If he wants to use both accounts simultaneously and continue on with his current message store, address book and calendar (which was the impression I got) then he need only add a new account under "accounts" in Outlook, and then, when his old account is no longer functional, he can remove it from that list.

You're right. "My bad", as they say. I'm getting my programs mixed up.

A new message store in Outlook would require a new Data File, which would need to be created separately from the new account, and then the new account would need to be explicitly pointed to that new Data File.

If OP is certain his old account is dead, he can just change the settings on the existing account to point to the new server (or create a new account anyway, as you said). If he continues to receive messages under the old account, he can create a new account and not bother to change the Data File, in which case both accounts' messages will end up in the same place.

It can all come in under a common inbox as well, which is how I have 3x of my accounts setup in Outlook 2007.

You're right, thinking back on it, I set the separate inboxes up on purpose because one of them was a junk mail address.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back