Microgard MGL51356 cut open

Microgard MGL51356 cut open off my parents 1997 Mazda 626 2.0 I4. Filter has been on there about 3.5 years and 1000 or so miles. Lots of short trips and very infrequently driven the past couple of years. Changed oil after putting new radiator,hoses,thermostat and temperature sensors in getting ready to sell it. Replaced with Champ oil filter.

Attachments

• IMG_20230326_135913.jpg
    IMG_20230326_135913.jpg
    133.1 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_20230326_135922.jpg
    IMG_20230326_135922.jpg
    109.4 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_20230326_135926.jpg
    IMG_20230326_135926.jpg
    120.6 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_20230326_135933.jpg
    IMG_20230326_135933.jpg
    104.7 KB · Views: 65
Microgard MGL51356 cut open off my parents 1997 Mazda 626 2.0 I4. Filter has been on there about 3.5 years and 1000 or so miles. Lots of short trips and very infrequently driven the past couple of years. Changed oil after putting new radiator,hoses,thermostat and temperature sensors in getting ready to sell it. Replaced with Champ oil filter.
Very good photos. What oil went back in? I Thank You

Last edited:
Very good photos. What oil went back in? I Thank You
3.5 quarts of Milesyn SB 5W30 and half a quart of MMO. This engine has intermittent lash cap thrashing/ticking issues. My old Miata had the same issue, came and went at random. This car started life as a rental and had long oil changes from the looks of it, we haven't done many oil changes on it in the past 20 years either...😂

a bit wavy but held up. Those mazda b engines were great!
The worst engines to do a timing belt on I have ever seen unless you have the special tool to hold the cams in time. We bought this car used, it started life as a rental and have had it for 20 years. It had like 78,000 when we bought it. I did the timing belt on it about 5 years ago to find someone had set the timing 1 tooth off on both cams and it looks like it had the original belt break as the plastic belt guards were all smashed up. No wonder it never ran quite right and had pinging issues. After 8 hours of sitting on my knees and fighting to get the marks lined up correctly, I fully understand why the last guy said screw it, good enough!

The worst engines to do a timing belt on I have ever seen unless you have the special tool to hold the cams in time. We bought this car used, it started life as a rental and have had it for 20 years. It had like 78,000 when we bought it. I did the timing belt on it about 5 years ago to find someone had set the timing 1 tooth off on both cams and it looks like it had the original belt break as the plastic belt guards were all smashed up. No wonder it never ran quite right and had pinging issues. After 8 hours of sitting on my knees and fighting to get the marks lined up correctly, I fully understand why the last guy said screw it, good enough!
I understand your frustration. Some jobs can take a lot of patience, time, & sweat equity but it sounds like it paid off in your situation. I've worked extensively on the Mazda b series 1.3l? engine they put into the ford festiva's.

20 years.. wow! I've calmed down over the last decade & have only had about 3 vehicles. Now My latest & only vehicle needs to last me 20 years b/c It's just too expensive to buy & sell. I got stuck in that boot loop into my 20's & paid heavily. I've always had an appreciation for vehicles but I need to hold off on buying others. It's nice having only 1 vehicle to maintain after giving my Saturn to my niece last year.

I understand your frustration. Some jobs can take a lot of patience, time, & sweat equity but it sounds like it paid off in your situation. I've worked extensively on the Mazda b series 1.3l? engine they put into the ford festiva's.

20 years.. wow! I've calmed down over the last decade & have only had about 3 vehicles. Now My latest & only vehicle needs to last me 20 years b/c It's just too expensive to buy & sell. I got stuck in that boot loop into my 20's & paid heavily. I've always had an appreciation for vehicles but I need to hold off on buying others. It's nice having only 1 vehicle to maintain after giving my Saturn to my niece last year.
20 years ain't nothing compared to our old 78 Dodge B200 and 87 Mazda b2200, we kept that van 34 years and the truck 33 years before selling them.

I remember reading something on a forum about someone telling their story about changing the timing belt on a 97 626, the guy said he couldn't get it timed properly so he said screw it, good enough. Couldn't believe it when I took ours apart to find the exact same thing. I seriously wonder if it was the same car...

20 years ain't nothing compared to our old 78 Dodge B200 and 87 Mazda b2200, we kept that van 34 years and the truck 33 years before selling them.

I remember reading something on a forum about someone telling their story about changing the timing belt on a 97 626, the guy said he couldn't get it timed properly so he said screw it, good enough. Couldn't believe it when I took ours apart to find the exact same thing. I seriously wonder if it was the same car...
Incredible! You don't see those b vans anymore. At least not very common.

You're coincidence or actual car story is one that you just have to shrug your shoulders but it's something that I would ponder as well. Very interesting. I had a 98' e150 with the 5.4L & loved it. I think vans are under appreciated but they're all getting replaced by better fuel efficient ones now.

Incredible! You don't see those b vans anymore. At least not very common.

You're coincidence or actual car story is one that you just have to shrug your shoulders but it's something that I would ponder as well. Very interesting. I had a 98' e150 with the 5.4L & loved it. I think vans are under appreciated but they're all getting replaced by better fuel efficient ones now.
The reason why I wonder if it's the same car is because that forum post was from like 2000 or so, before we bought the car. Very well could have been.

There is a reason why you don't see them full size Dodge anymore. They were the worst driving, most water filling up from the factory body seam tin box on wheels things I've ever seen. That thing was on its second engine and trans, third steering box, first front end rebuild in 160,000 miles when we sold it. Original owners thought it was ok to load it to the hilt, then attach a loaded 16 foot travel trailer to it at 30,000 miles. That 2 barrel 318 and 727 trans overheated so bad trying to get where it was going it had a meltdown and both were outright replaced by the dealership. That thing also had spotwelds visible through the paint all along the bottom sides, horrible factory tape masking job since it was 2 tone blue. I tell ya, the stuff they made in the late 70's. It was a sportsman royal special edition, only one of those I've ever seen and probably for a reason. I took my drivers license test in it and don't miss it.

Back