Michellin CC2's Fitted!

When we purchased my Wife's Dacia Logan in January 2021 it came with a set of Continental Eco Contacts fitted in the factory 185/65/R15 size on steel wheels. Unfortunately, the tyres had between 2-3mm on them, and the rears which were the originals were starting to crack between the tread blocks, so I quickly started looking for replacements.

My Wife said she wanted the 16" steels from the Logan/Sandero Stepway model. These are 16" star/shaped steel wheels with proprietary trims that make them look like alloys. I went shopping on good-old Facebook marketplace and found a set 15 miles down the road. These had a brand new set of tyres fitted just 6 weeks prior (owner provided me with the receipt) at a cost of nearly £200. Even better, they included a set of OEM TPMS sensors which saved me a job of having them swapped over from the old wheels. A little bit of haggling and I got the set for £150! Bargain!

Except, not so much a bargain. They came with some Chinese budget branded tyres. They were called Fullrun HP199's. Despite having the full 8mm of tread, they were THE worst tyre I've ever experienced. I'm amazed such a tyre was even available in the British market. The tyres were dated the back end of 2020, so I couldn't even use age as an excuse. They were horrific. The first issue with these tyres that came apparent was the noise. Honestly, as soon as you hit 30mph or so, a drone came over the car that made you question the integrity of the wheel bearings. At first, I was actually convinced a wheel bearing was failing. In the dry and reasonably warm weather, they provided enough grip to get you about day to day with little issue. However, as soon as the temperature dropped or there was a little rain on the ground the tyres turned into ice skates! Even pulling off from junctions with next to no power often resulted in the front tyres skipping and jumping looking for grip and the ABS could be activated with little effort.

It also appears that I'm not the only one...

My Wife put up with them for 18 months but now the temperature is dropping again she started to complain about the tyres. My Wife's also started a new job earlier this year and the amount of mileage she's doing is increasing, so I decided it was time to get them off.

Of course, only one choice in todays market...

20221118_074037.jpg

20221118_074050.jpg

20221118_074045.jpg

I had them fitted at our local Costco. They cost us £250 for 4 tyres fitted (~$300 at todays exchange rate) which I think was a very good price. Although I spent an hour walking around Costco while they were fitted and spent another £400. :ROFLMAO: Straight away the car was far quieter, and initial turn in seems to be sharper and slicker. The car seemed to be more settled on the motorway journey home and overall just inspires more confidence. The car is never going to be some high-speed motorway bruiser, but it's nice to be able to sit with cruise control on at our 70mph speed limit without thinking your wheels are going to fall off.

Always have had good luck with Mitchelins..that will be my next tire on my HRV..the coni contact that is on right now as oem tires is OK but not the best in snow and or rain...Two things I dont go cheap on is brakes and tires...over the years I have found Michelins have cleared up many ride issues that dealers told me ...well they all do it...well they dont after installing Michelins on them...

I have them on my VW All Track and love them. A very quiet tire but with excellent handling characteristics. They are excellent in heavy rain when there is standing water on the road... there is ZERO hydroplaning. And they are great in snow. The only negative is that they cost me 1-2 mpg over the tires they replaced. However, I gladly accept that for the safety these tires provide.

When we purchased my Wife's Dacia Logan in January 2021 it came with a set of Continental Eco Contacts fitted in the factory 185/65/R15 size on steel wheels. Unfortunately, the tyres had between 2-3mm on them, and the rears which were the originals were starting to crack between the tread blocks, so I quickly started looking for replacements.

My Wife said she wanted the 16" steels from the Logan/Sandero Stepway model. These are 16" star/shaped steel wheels with proprietary trims that make them look like alloys. I went shopping on good-old Facebook marketplace and found a set 15 miles down the road. These had a brand new set of tyres fitted just 6 weeks prior (owner provided me with the receipt) at a cost of nearly £200. Even better, they included a set of OEM TPMS sensors which saved me a job of having them swapped over from the old wheels. A little bit of haggling and I got the set for £150! Bargain!

Except, not so much a bargain. They came with some Chinese budget branded tyres. They were called Fullrun HP199's. Despite having the full 8mm of tread, they were THE worst tyre I've ever experienced. I'm amazed such a tyre was even available in the British market. The tyres were dated the back end of 2020, so I couldn't even use age as an excuse. They were horrific. The first issue with these tyres that came apparent was the noise. Honestly, as soon as you hit 30mph or so, a drone came over the car that made you question the integrity of the wheel bearings. At first, I was actually convinced a wheel bearing was failing. In the dry and reasonably warm weather, they provided enough grip to get you about day to day with little issue. However, as soon as the temperature dropped or there was a little rain on the ground the tyres turned into ice skates! Even pulling off from junctions with next to no power often resulted in the front tyres skipping and jumping looking for grip and the ABS could be activated with little effort.

It also appears that I'm not the only one...

My Wife put up with them for 18 months but now the temperature is dropping again she started to complain about the tyres. My Wife's also started a new job earlier this year and the amount of mileage she's doing is increasing, so I decided it was time to get them off.

Of course, only one choice in todays market...

View attachment 126723
View attachment 126724
View attachment 126725

They cost us £250 for 4 tyres fitted (~$300 at todays exchange rate) which I think was a very good price.
I just got them for my wife's car and paid ~$800. You paid a great price! I'm jealous!

I just got them for my wife's car and paid ~$800. You paid a great price! I'm jealous!

Bear in mind these are only 205/55 R16's. When I looked around, most places were around the £320-£350 mark. Costco had an offer on if you bought 4 which brought the price down to £250.

Really happy with the tyre and looking forward to hopefully a couple of days of snow in the New Year to see how they perform.

Bear in mind these are only 205/55 R16's. When I looked around, most places were around the £320-£350 mark. Costco had an offer on if you bought 4 which brought the price down to £250.

Really happy with the tyre and looking forward to hopefully a couple of days of snow in the New Year to see how they perform.
Yeah, we got 225/65R17 and even after the $150 off it still cost me what it did.

My '18 Legacy has 225/50R18 and I want the same tires on that car since we drive my kids in both cars. They are $241.99/ea and no discount. Luckily I still have a good ~20k left on my current tires. Not looking forward to another tire bill.

Hope you enjoy them. Keep us posted how they do. We only have a few hundred miles on hers at the moment and no snow to test yet.

I bought CC2'S for my 2018 Subaru Forester last year. So they have one Iowa winter on them. Impressed with the snow/ice/rain handling so far. My fuel mileage did drop, but I retired 1st of the year and don't drive much anymore.

That seems to be a common complaint about the CC2.
My fuel mileage seemed to drop 3-4 MPG...back when I was driving every day to work and back. About 45 miles per day, mostly on Interstate. Now I'm retired and most likely drive 20 miles per week. LOL

The tires will most likely rot before I wear them out. I encourage the kids to take the Subaru out now and then for a good warming up.
Granddaughter's trans took a crap, so she is taking it to work Monday. So I'm going out soon and top off the tire pressures due to the cold weather.

So this is a bit interesting...

The car has had very slightly notchy steering around centre when you initially turn right or left. I assumed it was the top mount bearings and I have a brand new set of OEM top mounts ready to go in sat on the shelf in the garage.

Since fitting these new tyres, all the notchyness has gone away. Infact the steering overall feels a lot smoother. I don't understand how tyres cause cause such a difference in the feel of the steering. I'm almost doubting myself.

I must say, I really like these tyres. I got the car out on some lanes earlier today with the kids to go see what animals we could find. Even when you end up with a wheel in the mud when two cars are trying to pass on a single track road there's just so much less drama when trying to pull off. Water doesn't seem to phase the tyres at all either.
20221119_124214.jpg

I replaced both car’s tires listed below with CC2s this past summer. Echo the fuel mileage drop comments above as well as the confident handling in heavy rain. Hopefully handle the snows that are predicted for the NE this winter although the MDX’s SHAWD system never hiccuped even on the lowered tread of the replaced set of tires.

Will consider these in the future.

Usually all weather tires have a pathetic wear warranty. This is the first all weather tire that I've seen with a decent one.

Getting mine installed on Monday for my '18 Legacy Sport. So far, my wife likes them on her '14 CR-V. She might have about 1k miles on them.

Back