Michelin X Radials

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anybody have any experience with these? I'm looking for a good all season tire for the minivan. I want the tire to be competent in light snow/ice situations and I read that this is one of the top performers in a 2005 CR study. I couldn't find reviews of this tire anywhere as nobody but Costco seems to sell them. If you've owned them, I'd like to hear about your experience.

excellent all-season, general use tires. I have used X's and their predecessors for decades. Whenever I switched, I may have been treated to marginally better "performance", but much worse tread life, and shoddy warranty. Check out Consumer reports on tires. They rate high performance tires and "normal" tires. Michelin X falls in the latter.

Coincidently, sometime in the past, the X series stopped being available at the neighborhood store, and now is only available at big box discounters such as Sams (but not Walmart), Cosco, et.al.

I just put a set of LTX Michelins on my Silverado, but that's a little big for your fitment....

You're having problems finding a lot of info on the X radial, since Michelin only sells that particular tire through "the clubs" (Sam's, Costco, etc).

My Sis is on her third set of Michelin tires (the original Michelin XW4's, a set of Michelins from Sears, and now the X's) on her Subaru Outback that has nearly 200,000 miles. She couldn't be happier with them. Between the second and third sets of Michelins, she had a set of Goodyear tires on it, and couldn't wait to get rid of them. In fact, her high satisfaction with Michelin tires led to my decision to put the LTX's on my truck.

With an 80,000 mile warranty on the X radial, and a top test rating by CR, I don't see how you can go wrong.

I got mine at Costco. However, at 40K miles, I will be getting a pro-rated new set in about amonth, per the tire manager's recommendation. They are wearing evenly but not holding up to the 80K mileage warranty. I run them on a Mazda MPV.

No problem with handling or using them in snow or ice.

Thanks for the comments.
I'm also looking at the Weatherwise II Michelins. Any thoughts about the X Radial vs the Weatherwise? I know nothing about the Weatherwise, except from what is written on the Michelin website.

My dad has a set of X-Radials on his Toyota minivan. After 35k, he still has 50% (maybe a bit less) tread remaining. He runs them at 38 psi Front/Rear.

Don't know if they are similar, but I had a set of the MXV4 Energy's that came with the used car, and thought they were ok but not great.
Before they wore to the bars, replaced with Michelin Pilot Exaltos and really felt it was a big step up. Extremely superior performance in the wet.

Last edited:
We ran X Radials on my wife's Expedition for several years. I couldn't have been happier with them. They were great tires, at a good price. We got them at Costco. Costco tire centers should be able to tell you when the next sale will be on Michelin tires. Michelin usually does a "$100 off a set of 4", or something similar, a couple times a year.

I'm running a set on a '97 Mustang V6, and a set on a '03 Taurus, that we purchased from Costco's. My son has a set of Harmonys on his T-Bird and they are comparable to the X-Radials.
No complaints whatsoever on either tire! The next sale at Costco's will be at the end of January, 2008. I'm hoping our daughter's Sable tires will wait that long........

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back