Michelin Primacy HP cracks on shoulders. Safe to drive on or replace?

I noticed these cracks at around spring this year. The car experiences frequent moments of hard driving so I'm thinking of replacing the tires next spring when the car comes out of hibernation as I'm a little worried about how they're going to hold up despite there still being plenty of thread left. The tires are original to the car (2016 Scion FRS). Date code of this one is 4215, but they're all within a couple of weeks or so and they're all in the same condition. Tires and car have 25,000km on them.

tE2ai8Hh.jpg

LIDlyRth.jpg

Totally fine. Some Michelin tires especially tend to show cracking like that. Not entirely sure why, lots of theories. But Id run them without thinking twice.

I must admit that I would also continue using them. I get concerned when sidewalls get heavy cracking but that cracking in the tread area is something I would monitor in use.

Reactions: hrv
The tires are now in their 7th year, plus is showing signs of typical Michelin "quality". At this point, it is likely they are still fine. However, continue to monitor as the tires and rubber continue to age.

First, that looks more like a kind of erosion wear, and not cracking. That alone should say they are OK.

And even if they are cracks, they aren't too bad. Just starting, so you have a year or two before they are bad enough to replace. You're in Canada, so that seems right on schedule - IF THEY WERE CRACKS, but they aren't!

it appears that there isn’t a whole lot of tread left on these seven year old tires, which are mounted on a sports car. how aggressively, and under what situations, is this car driven? is it an essential daily driver? are its tires a hard to find size? are there tire sales and rebates coming up in your locale? at this point, with supply chain woes and inflation kicking in too, i might be researching various replacement options...

the 4 tires on my 2013 vw passat were at a similar inflection point in late 2020. i even got a quote from discount tire while in my pondering mode. then a month after getting that attractive quote i got an unrepairable flat. i limped into the dt store on my donut spare 45 minutes before closing time and those fine folks honored their quote and had me happily on my way that evening in a nice set of continentals at $100/each.

Clearly just the fact that you bother to ask means its a question in your mind and every time you drive the car "hard" as you self describe you will continue to do so. It can't be more than what a $500 set to replace on that car? Why go through that for your own person mental health I say start shopping now and find a deal come spring or whenver you have the $$ ready to go just do it. Theres no way you won't enjoy driving the car more with new sneakers on it.

I would drive on them and just see if they get worse over time...I would drive them to Florida and back and not worry about them at all....

From a safety standpoint, as stated above they are fine.

However, they are worn to the point that snow traction is a concern....

I would use them but as suggested keep an eye on them. I no longer use Michelin tires. I had a set crack up dangerously and they refused warranty.

I would use them but as suggested keep an eye on them. I no longer use Michelin tires. I had a set crack up dangerously and they refused warranty.
I finally settled on Goodyear after having so many other brands. They seem to hold up and last better than some others. They are not cheap either.
Just like everything else right now , prices are going one way ....UP.

25k km in 6 years? I’d just sell the car at this point.
LOL selling it hasn't even crossed my mind. I don't really care how many km I put or don't put on the car. I drive the car almost every day during the warmer months and it brings me immense joy.

Thanks for your input, everyone. I've decided to replace the tires. I've been wanting to get a new set of rims anyway, so I guess that's a good excuse to do that, since I'm loosing a bit of confidence in the old tires.

Time to put the winters on anyway :sneaky:

That gives you the whole season to make a decision :unsure:

And with the tires/wheels off the car, we can better see how much tread you actually have on them :D

rubber dries out with time and you can get tiny fine cracks at the base of the tread block. Thos are no concern to me.

depending on your climate, the sidewalls will also crack after few years. This is when you should replace the tyre.

I also have similar look on my tyres. From your picture I would say it is more of feathering if like me like to take your corners fast or in extreme cases, your suspension set up needs attenntion

Back