Michelin Premier LTX Different Tread

Status
Not open for further replies.
2004 MDX looking for some new shoes. Currently running Continental LX20 that have started to hydroplane now that they have around 45k on them. Always used to run Michelins on everything but these LX20's were far better than the Latitude Tours it had before. Tried the Yokohama YK-HTX and took them off after 500 miles because they felt too squishy in the turns.

Now I'm seeing the Conti LX25 and it looks awesome. Then I see this new Premier LTX DT and can hardly find any info about it other than an increase from 9/32 to 10/32. Have they changed the actual compound?

Where we currently live now there can be torrential downpours that pool up water everywhere and then for the next month weather will be bone dry and 100 degrees everyday. Right now there's a killer deal on Goodyear Weatherready at Sam's club but I don't see that tire as being a hot weather candidate.

What do you guys think of this new LTX Premier? Will it change the terrible lifespan the original model had?

[Linked Image]

Personally I like the Michelin Defender LTX, this is the next generation of the old MS2 LTX....I live in the snow belt area of northern Michigan and have had these on several vehicles, and IMO they have been great. They are NOT snow tires...

I agree with Tjbouwhu. Great all around truck/SUV tire for the snow belt. Ride quality, noise, tread wear, wet/dry/snow traction... They are the complete package.

Premier LTX never needed compound change. Though I never drove them in snow since I always drive n snow tires. Their performance in wet was always superb.

Originally Posted by Tjbouwhu
Personally I like the Michelin Defender LTX, this is the next generation of the old MS2 LTX....I live in the snow belt area of northern Michigan and have had these on several vehicles, and IMO they have been great. They are NOT snow tires...

We put the defender LTX on our Odyssey. Were very pleased with them. We got almost 60k miles with the OE Primacy MXM4 tires, we could have gone another year and probably 10k, but one had a plug that started to leak, and the winter was coming...

The defender LTX is definitely a firmer tire than the primacy was. And has a nice deep tread. No real difference in handling, but of course its a minivan...

Originally Posted by edyvw
Premier LTX never needed compound change. Though I never drove them in snow since I always drive n snow tires. Their performance in wet was always superb.

Maybe so, but folks from this site, and even the tire guy at Costco recommended against them due to treadlife concerns.

So they may perform well, but theyre a tire that you need to be OK with the longevity.

Originally Posted by JHZR2
Originally Posted by Tjbouwhu

We put the defender LTX on our Odyssey. Were very pleased with them. We got almost 60k miles with the OE Primacy MXM4 tires, we could have gone another year and probably 10k, but one had a plug that started to leak, and the winter was coming...

The defender LTX is definitely a firmer tire than the primacy was. And has a nice deep tread. No real difference in handling, but of course its a minivan...

Originally Posted by edyvw

Maybe so, but folks from this site, and even the tire guy at Costco recommended against them due to treadlife concerns.

So they may perform well, but theyre a tire that you need to be OK with the longevity.

True! Now, if they extended life and kept performance, that is great.

Dunno about newer ones but I was not a happy camper with LTX's MS2's. While they did appear to be able to rack up the miles, they dry rotted and didn't make it 3 years. Had to have a pair replaced due to road force problems (wouldn't balance) right out of the box. Good wet traction, lousy on grass and useless in snow. YMMV but the other Michelin's I had were bested by RT43's in all but wet traction once tread got below 4/32's. But I suspect you are kinda demanding in what you want from a tire? I wouldn't recommend to you RT43's as they are definitely not a tire for drivers!

I dunno, unless if I have money to burn and don't mind tossing it away, I tend to let others test out new products. IMO I'd let someone else try out these tires first, before I invested in a set.

I know this may seem like a broken record to some of you but I rarely ever get the guaranteed mileage out of any of my Michelins. And I ain't complaining one bit. The only tire I buy is Michelin. For handling, ride, smoothness, quietness, wet traction, braking, etc. I am completely satisfied and will probably never change brands (as long as I can get them in my sizes)

You are probably wondering why I don't have a problem with not getting the guaranteed mileage out of them? It is because I get a credit from Michelin for whatever mileage they lacked. I have gotten 33% of my money refunded as a credit at my tire dealer that I could use on any other brand. It amazes me that people don't take advantage of how generous Michelin is concerning their tire mileage warranty.

Heck, I'm happy when they wear out quick as I get a new set of Michelins at a discounted price. But I only use an independent tire dealer. I don't go to the big box stores. It may have to do with my tire dealer wanting me to come back. LOL

As far as your question, I wouldn't think twice about the tread wear rating. Michelin stands behind their dealers.

Seems like Michelin is targeting the sizes used on "mainstream" SUVs and adding back the proper 10/32nds tread as a value proposition. The Premier LTX was targeted towards the Lexus RX(and Michelin acknowledged their development target was the RX) but also wanted to cover the hoi polloi in Highlanders/Pilots, CR-Vs/RAV4s and the GMT platform SUVs.

Agreed the original LTX MS and MS/2 were the best tires ever. We ran the originals over 100k on a Mazda Tribute and they would have gone further if we hadn't slacked off on the rotations at 80k miles. Sold the Mazda with the MS/2 on it and they still looked great after 60k.

Looks like it will be a good fight between new Premier, LX25 and Nokian.

Originally Posted by chuck wood
Agreed the original LTX MS and MS/2 were the best tires ever. We ran the originals over 100k on a Mazda Tribute and they would have gone further if we hadn't slacked off on the rotations at 80k miles. Sold the Mazda with the MS/2 on it and they still looked great after 60k.

Looks like it will be a good fight between new Premier, LX25 and Nokian.

I would also consider the new Pirelli Scorpion Verde All Season Plus II. Just had a set installed onto a 2016 RDX. The tires replaced Premiers which wore out after ~39K.

https://www.moderntiredealer.com/ne...scorpion-verde-all-season-plus-a-refresh

Love the tread but research around wrt ride - I'm one of a half dozen I know that thought they rode hard and never broke in

well the GX is 4,800 maybe the weight? I have all new OEM adjustable shocks and air springs to fool with...but man they are solid @3k mi.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back