Michelin Pilot Super Sport 500+ mile review

Status
Not open for further replies.

JHZR2

Staff member
Size: 215/40R-18 89Y front and 245/35R-18 92Y rear.

C77CFD91-BBCF-45C4-B2FB-D2709E8ADF71_zpsvegflvvb.jpg

2894E1D5-C9B6-469F-9896-09BB372B4B0E_zps2hs9un4b.jpg

7F8960CD-B307-4E56-9B43-0B890C6F0E1C_zpsf9lsntth.jpg

0CF7D9A9-9464-438C-A02E-BDF4A7A9B372_zpsi5s2p40y.jpg

Don't mind the dirty wheels - this is less than 500 miles since washing...

5810A370-E528-47E2-942A-86800DAF0D27_zps3ue5lryv.jpg

942B3211-210F-4DC3-8FF5-8282B92E54C7_zpsyozuozhj.jpg

Interesting how the top tread is set up:

F864FAFE-4626-44FF-833C-FBAC1B7CB7FC_zpsqqn984zy.jpg

With those cross casting marks.

The tires are 30k mile rated. Granted, I think I would have gotten 30k+ out of my OE RFT dunlops, as I typically exceed the tire rating.

So keep in mind I was coming from stock RFT tires. They felt like every bump or frost heave was like driving into a curb at speed. Each one slammed you and transmitted a lot of energy into the cabin/occupants.

These tires ride smooth, very comfortably, and generally quieter. I say generally because I think they are slightly louder on concrete surfaces, but I can't 100% confirm, nor is that what I predominately drive on. On smooth pavement Id definitely say there is an improvement.

I also feel as if Im getting better fuel economy. Cruising on the highway now much more regularly yields 34-35 MPG, while it used to be much more in the 31-33 MPG range. Too many other variables to consider on that though... including the fact that I changed oils (granted to the latest Pennzoil Platinum Euro 5w-40).

I can't say that driving hard at reasonable speeds on surface streets (e.g. fast turning on off ramps and whatnot) yields much different performance, but Ive not yet really dynamically tested them in that regard. For the most part Ill likely have to take tire rack and others' word for that. That said, Ill say that the RFT harder sidewall did also transmit more cornering force to the cabin - in some cases, the vehicle felt more like it was "on rails" with the RFT tires, but that said, it doesnt mean that these feel bad or poor in any way. On the contrary, I think that these tires offer superior performance and enough give that stuff that felt harsher before is better handled, and the car will be able to take harder cornering before feeling more of the brunt of it...

Overall very, very satisfied. I should probably figure out a tire emergency kit to keep in the car. At least when BMW took the spare, they tried to be helpful by putting RFT tires on (despite their issues). In the case of my Honda, which has no spare, they just put an electric air pump in the trunk and called it a day. A portable patch kit and a few small tools and a small pump might be prudent, granted in the BMW especially, there isn't much trunk...

FWIW, $909 OTD with tax and fees at Mavis Tire (really $839 given $70 dealer rebate). No upsell and only the slightest chip on one rim, perfect on the others. They offered to take the wheel and refinish for me, but Im having them get some OE (code A44 IIRC) touch-up paint to minimize the overall effect on the wheel/car... Mavis also confirmed date codes on them to all be the last number of weeks in 2015, so I knew I wasn't getting NOS. So, Im pretty satisfied with Mavis too.

So do you rotate them from side to side? They look nice and I'm sure the ride will be much better compared to the Dunlop run flats.

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
So do you rotate them from side to side? They look nice and I'm sure the ride will be much better compared to the Dunlop run flats.

BMW doesn't really recommend rotating, so Ill probably leave them alone. Id consider side to side, but its probably more hassle than its worth...

I think I see the chip in one picture, right below the air stem. Some scratch remover might minimize it even more before the touch up. Hopefully they use a very fine brush so they don't glob it on and make it worse.

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
I think I see the chip in one picture, right below the air stem. Some scratch remover might minimize it even more before the touch up. Hopefully they use a very fine brush so they don't glob it on and make it worse.

Yeah that pic makes it look worse because there's a drip of bead lube that dried over top...

They're going to just get me the paint... Ill DIY...

You'll be very happy with those. I got about 20k out of mine, and that included autocross and track use. They're a very popular and competent tire, especially for the price.

Now the OEM tire for the M2 and M3/M4.

I have over 19k on the set that came on my 2 Series. I'm hoping to get at least another 7k miles out of them- although an HPDE in June may knock that number down a bit.

Are the PSS on the 2M RFT type?

Of else how do they deal with a service kit?

Happy motoring on the new skins! You may notice they are very resistant to puncture, I always wondered if that was the Kevlar belting.

I certainly hope you never need them, but they are so good they could save your life in the rain...

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
Happy motoring on the new skins! You may notice they are very resistant to puncture, I always wondered if that was the Kevlar belting.

I certainly hope you never need them, but they are so good they could save your life in the rain...

Actually, I managed to puncture three tires with one nail, and one tire with three while I had them. I bought house in brand new development, and there was everything on the roads in the neighborhood.
Anyway, those were large nails and there is no tire that can resist puncture of those nails. However, what is really ridiculous is that it did not affect balance of tires at all.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2

The M235i doesn't come with runflats unless you order all season tires. My car came with what BMW calls the "M Mobility Kit." AKA: a 12 volt air compressor that injects goop into the flat tire.

I'm always surprised by how much air space there is on high performance street tires, but I guess as they wear a bit, they still have to fight hydroplaning. I like the outer shoulder though, that's where the rubber needs to be. I think my BFG's would come close to qualifying as a Mud and Snow tire in my size atleast.
You should try some autocross with that car, it seems to be designed for it, narrow and torquey!

My M5 had the fix-a-flat and compressor in the trunk FWIW.

Originally Posted By: IndyIan
I think my BFG's would come close to qualifying as a Mud and Snow tire in my size atleast.

My very early Comp 2s (In a 255/50-16 size) actually have an M+S logo on the sidewall!!

I actually called the BFG/Michelin HQs and asked if this was an M+S tire, and NOT a summer ONLY UHP tire, since I already had BFG g Force Super Sport all seasons on another set of wheels, and that I wanted the max warm weather stick that their 340 tread wear could give me.

Their response was that was a MISTAKE on their part, and should not have been printed on that tire.
They claimed that only reason it was initially was because of the large void area you've mentioned.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: MCompact

The M235i doesn't come with runflats unless you order all season tires. My car came with what BMW calls the "M Mobility Kit." AKA: a 12 volt air compressor that injects goop into the flat tire.

Aha, yes, that's what Honda provided on my accord hybrid...

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
^^^Same on any SRT8. No runflats just a can of goo and an air compressor.

Basically dead weight!

I have RFT's now, and during winter used regular snow tires. I think I will just stick to compressor and goo. RFT's are sooo hard it is ridiculous, especially in Colorado Springs where roads are on par with some low developed third world country.
What I did during winter:
1. Goo
2. Got bigger compressor then usual
3. Pliers
4. Repair kit (so I can patch tire on the spot)
5. Reflective vest
and some other stuff I cannot remember now (flash light).
And of course, AAA.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back