Michelin Pilot Exalto PE2 tires?

Status
Not open for further replies.

OVERKILL

$100 Site Donor 2021
A good (female) friend of mine just purchased a 2006 BMW 325i and it came with some run-flats that she's not very happy with and would like to replace.

She's looked at Yokohama and Bridgestone, I recommended she look at Michelin.

I checked tirerack, and much to my chagrin, they don't make the Super Sport in her size. However, the Ultra High performance summer tire they DO offer is the Pilot Exalto PE2, which appears to get good reviews.

Her size is 205/55ZR/16's.

Her driving style would be described as aggressive, and she will definitely be using the tire to its capabilities when conditions allow. She's a good driver.

Anybody have experience with this particular Michelin tire?

ya they dont make the super sport in anything below 17" rims.

also those are summer tires as you noted.

Is this a summer toy car or she has winter rubber?

I'd take a strong look at
Bridgestone Potenza RE970AS Pole Position

or

Continental DW

but the michelins are also good.

Last edited:
I have a set. Very, very happy with them. Handle well, are quiet, and are great in the rain also. I also have Conti DW's on another vehicle and if you have the choice, I would take the Conti's for performance. They seem to corner a little better, but the PE2's are great also.

Watch out, they can get mad and ruin your life..I know..

Anyways I run the redesigned Yokohama avid envigors. Very smooth, going down fast though..If I were you I'd avoid directionals they go out of round easy, wear fast. This is my last set.

Use discounttiredirect.com for the actual buy, free shipping use them all the time

The one nice thing about all seasons even with snows is the changeover period.

ie march-april nov-december..

if you get that freak inch of snow.. you can still move.

Originally Posted By: Rand

True. They do make a Pilot Sport all-season in this size. But I get the impression she wants dedicated summer rubber.

I had my car in some light snow and it was exciting......
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL
Originally Posted By: Rand

True. They do make a Pilot Sport all-season in this size. But I get the impression she wants dedicated summer rubber.

I had my car in some light snow and it was exciting......
grin.gif

The Pilot Sport A/S is a very good tire but is still not going to match the Exalto's dry grip.

Consider the Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric if it's available in that smaller size.

LOTS of folks on the 1 series board go to michelin non RFT tires from the OE RFTs. Michelin doesnt have the 135i OE size in some of the better tires, so people go up a size with no issue.

The most popular are the PSS and PS2/PS3. They work great.

I have exalto A/S tires on my 318i and I think they are great too. Far better hydroplaning resistance than Ive had in any other set of tires Ive ever had on the car.

I have a set of Exalto A/S tires in the factory size of 205/60R-15 on my "poor man's BMW", a manual 5 speed Contour
grin.gif
. They have been great tires. They corner great dry or wet, do not hydroplane and are quiet and "comfortable" riding. They also are wearing real good. I can't really say much about the snow as it's garaged before the serious snow hits.

Whimsey

Last edited:
Back to the OP question:

I had a set of Pilot Exalto PE2's on an Audi A3. I was very pleased with them as a 3-season tire. Reasonably quiet, excellent traction dry or wet, and no steering response complaints, but I didn't have that car long enough with them mounted to gauge wear life. I would gladly have bought them again for my current ride if they'd been available in the right size.

Originally Posted By: DFrost
Back to the OP question:.............Reasonably quiet, excellent traction dry or wet, and no steering response complaints,............

I agree. But longevity is not their strength. After 18,500 miles I am at 5/32" tread depth, with non-aggressive driving. Also, they are an old design, going back to 2005 or earlier.

Originally Posted By: SubLGT
Originally Posted By: DFrost
Back to the OP question:.............Reasonably quiet, excellent traction dry or wet, and no steering response complaints,............

I agree. But longevity is not their strength. After 18,500 miles I am at 5/32" tread depth, with non-aggressive driving. Also, they are an old design, going back to 2005 or earlier.

That's pretty good, for any summer tire.

i have the exalto A/S 205-50-17 on my 01 TT very pleased, look at the weights they are very light helping performance and MPG

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back