Michelin or any tire code date advice

Just a heads up...I purchased a set of Michelin tires for my Jeep Grand Cherokee online thru Costco a few weeks ago during a pretty good Michelin sale. I contacted the store for installation and they said if I could wait a week or so they'd be happy to install them with an appointment, since they were extremely busy over the Thanksgiving holiday. So, last weekend I had the tires installed. When I dropped off the vehicle I confirmed that they had the tires in stock. They showed me two stacks of the tires I was buying that just came in. I happen to look at the date code on the top tire which was (3920) and I thought great, brand new rubber. This morning as I'm mailing the warranty registration card, I noticed three of the tires have new date codes (3920) within 3 months and one of the tires is over a year old (4019). So, I'm going to bite the bullet since I didn't think to ask for a matched date set. I guess a word to the particular, if this is important to you, remember to ASK for a close or matched set of tire date codes. I hoping in five years, one of the tires isn't weather checked and deteriorating faster then the others. Lesson learned.

Hmm, about two months ago I had General Evertrek rtx tires installed on my wife’s 2015 Altima at around the 59K mile mark at Town fair tire. They were on special so I said what the heck.

Later on I looked at the date code and they were all xx17. I personally don’t care that they were 3 year old tires (if) they were stored properly. Guess that is why the “special” was going on. In the future I will do a better job of finding out the date of the tires

I had General Altimax rt43 installed on my 17 accord sport, they were all xx/20

All the Michelin tires I have had had sever weather cracking after about 6 or 7 years. They Wear slowly, and had quite a bit more life left, but I replaced them anyway. If it was 4 years different I would complain. I will not order Michelin for seldom driven vehicles.

Rod

I did purchased another set of Michelin Defenders...great tires, IMO. My previous set were at 71k and probably had another 6/8k on them, but at six years old they were starting to weather check/crack around the bead area. Right up until I replaced them they still had good rain traction and were also pretty good in the snow. I'd have no problem recommending the Defenders.

All the Michelin tires I have had had sever weather cracking after about 6 or 7 years. They Wear slowly, and had quite a bit more life left, but I replaced them anyway. If it was 4 years different I would complain. I will not order Michelin for seldom driven vehicles.

Rod
I guess it depends on your climate, but out here, most tires over 6 years old display signs of weather-related cracking.

6 years is also a good time to start considering replacements anyway.

Costco only gives you a 5 year warranty anyway. Usually my tires wear out after 3-4 years anyway.

Just a heads up...I purchased a set of Michelin tires for my Jeep Grand Cherokee online thru Costco a few weeks ago during a pretty good Michelin sale. I contacted the store for installation and they said if I could wait a week or so they'd be happy to install them with an appointment, since they were extremely busy over the Thanksgiving holiday. So, last weekend I had the tires installed. When I dropped off the vehicle I confirmed that they had the tires in stock. They showed me two stacks of the tires I was buying that just came in. I happen to look at the date code on the top tire which was (3920) and I thought great, brand new rubber. This morning as I'm mailing the warranty registration card, I noticed three of the tires have new date codes (3920) within 3 months and one of the tires is over a year old (4019). So, I'm going to bite the bullet since I didn't think to ask for a matched date set. I guess a word to the particular, if this is important to you, remember to ASK for a close or matched set of tire date codes. I hoping in five years, one of the tires isn't weather checked and deteriorating faster then the others. Lesson learned.

I've had this happen to me a couple times before. I was putting a set of mud tires on my samurai and the tire store ordered a set of 4. I got two fresh tires, one that was a year old and one that was nearly 2 years old. I was a little bummed since age will certainly be what kills the tires on the samurai not mileage, but I needed the tires right then so accepted.

On my 2016 ram I bought it at the end of 2018 with a 'new' set of tires. First time I washed it I paid attention to the date codes and they were 2014, so they had been sitting around somewhere for 4+ years.. Personally I won't ride on a tire over 10yrs old or with obvious weather cracking. Whichever comes first.

I wouldn't worry about the tire being a year older than the others. I've had tires that were in the spare slot 15-20 years when I took them out and ran them daily. Never had a problem with the tires. I've got a car that sits in the garage a majority of the time. I suspect the tires on it are at least 10 years old. They have minimal cracking and probably at least 3/4 of the tread left on them. I'm at the age now where I don't drive fast or right on the edge of safely so I feel comfortable with those tires under me.

I just bought a new Kumho Solus TA11 tire a few months ago on eBay with a 2018 date code. The tire has a 70 or 75K miles treadwear warranty. The seller only had one and it was a couple years old so I got it got it for $29. and bought another one from another seller to have a matching pair. The other two tires that were on the car were already this model tire.

Last edited:
I suspect there will be a lot of tires aging out, not wearing out, these days. I've gone from 300+ miles a week commuting to less than 10 since I've been working from home. So, I'm okay with tires sitting in the garage. Minimal fuel usage, lower insurance and less wear and tear on the garage door opener.

Hi RK
Which Michelins have you bought?

I have put a set of Michelin Latitude Cross on my Jeep. They are M+S rated but not 3pmsf. Hope they are ok if the snow comes.

I purchased another set of Michelin Defenders. I had complete confidence in the last set right up until I replaced them at 71k. I expect this set will get me to the end of the road. I've always had good luck with Michelin tires and Michelin's been around long enough to know a thing or two regarding tire design and customer usage. I think unless you absolutely need to drive in some extreme snow and ice conditions you'll be fine without 3pmsf rating. Common sense (and some experience) will usually get you further down the road.

If inside of 3 years, I just don’t see it as a biggie. I bet 99% of people would ever notice. I just put two tires on my truck yesterday, date code 2013. These are winter Blizzacks with 75+ percent of the tread left, from a previous truck. I may just leave them on come Spring & use them up.

We had the same issue buying tires at tirebarn on our van years ago. Not a big deal for some people, however our tires age out instead of wear out at this time. The set of Harmonys we got were 1.5 years old when they were installed. Never again, especially for a high priced tire.

Now I check. Last two sets of michelins have been from different places and one set was not even 2 months old and the latest set was 3 months old.

I hate to be "that guy" but sell the aged set to someone who doesnt care or will wear that drives alot and will wear the tires out in 3 years.

I did purchased another set of Michelin Defenders...great tires, IMO. My previous set were at 71k and probably had another 6/8k on them, but at six years old they were starting to weather check/crack around the bead area. Right up until I replaced them they still had good rain traction and were also pretty good in the snow. I'd have no problem recommending the Defenders.

I just took advantage of the same sale you did and got defenders on my car replacing 7 year old Goodyear eagles. The eagles had phenomenal dry grip, it was getting to the point they were getting to be horrible in the rain. The Michelin defenders are SO smooth compared to the goodyears, even from when the goodyears were new. They are also so much better in the rain. The goodyears were never as good in the rain, however the past year thier performance dropped off significantly.

The new defenders do not have quite the dry grip the Eagles had, I am talking extreme cornering, however part of this may be due to the deeper tread blocks.

I will tell you what, those eagles were amazing during extreme cornering.

Just got back from Discount Tire with 4 Michelin Primacy A/S. I had them price matched Sam's club. One tire has a date code of 2918, two 4919 and one 0320. I am disappointed. Should've gone with Sam's.

Just got back from Discount Tire with 4 Michelin Primacy A/S. I had them price matched Sam's club. One tire has a date code of 2918, two 4919 and one 0320. I am disappointed. Should've gone with Sam's.
1.5-2.5 yr old tires that were not in-service? Not really a concern IMO.

Would never accept tire like that.
Tire aging is a function of temperatures. If the tires were properly stored, 1.5-2.5 years is a non-issue. CapriRacer mentioned at one point that 3-yr old new tires that were properly stored showed no material difference in performance.

There is a reason for tires going on sale for less, especially on the net. I wouldn't worry about it. If everyone wanted all 4 tire to match, and only be a month old, there would never be another tire sale ever again, and tire prices would go through the roof. It's not food.

Back