Michelin Introduces New "X-Ice Snow"

I had DM-V2 which is same generation and technology as WS-80. Absolutely abysmal in ice. Horrid! I put Xi2 after that and no issues whatsoever. They were bit less aggressive in deep stuff, but much, much better in everything else.
How old/depth were your DM-V2s? My driveway is a pretty good test of snow tires and I find the WS-80 and xice2 on each of our cars pretty close really. I can't recall driving on ice and really feeling a difference? Both are going into the 3rd winter so we'll see if one compound ages better than the other.

How old/depth were your DM-V2s? My driveway is a pretty good test of snow tires and I find the WS-80 and xice2 on each of our cars pretty close really. I can't recall driving on ice and really feeling a difference? Both are going into the 3rd winter so we'll see if one compound ages better than the other.
Brand new, 13/32, old maybe two months when installed.
They are good in deep snow, slush, but absolutely horrid in handling in ice. It suddenly breaks, there is no progressive loss of traction at all like in other winter tires. As far as I know, biggest issue with WS80 in testing was precisely what I described with DM-V2 (they are same generation). That is why I went with Nokian Hakka R2 for Tiguan after having WS70 on Tiguan. R2 proved good in worst conditions, but miserable in dry and especially wet.

Originally Posted by SubLGT
Nokian is feeling the heat from competitors. 10-20 years ago it was valid to say they were the class leaders for studded and studless tires. But over the last 5 years or so Nokian winter tires have been equalled or surpassed by the offerings from Continental, Michelin, Bridgestone, and Pirelli.

The Xi3 was introduced 8 years ago, and the independent, objective tests at that time revealed that the only significant weakness of the Xi3 was it slush planing performance. The new tread design of the X-Ice Snow suggests that weakness may have been remedied. But we will have to see how it does in independent testing.

10-20 years ago Nokian's, on European market, largest winter tire market in the world, were afterthought except in Finland. I left Europe for US in 2005, and if one wanted top tier winter tire, he/she would go Good Year or Continental. Good Year was absolute king in 1990's in winter tire market in Europe. Continental took that throne in beginning of 2000's and it is not letting it go.
What we get here is mixed offering at best, though it is getting better.
I started using Nokia as they were called then, here in Ontario, in 1975, they weren't unknown in N.A. only not well known.

Sorry wrong quote SublGT!

After looking at the TireRack reviews of snow tires, and seeing the X Ice3 was nearly rated as high, plus the Michelin demo comparison we took the plunge and bought a set of Xice Snows for both vehicles. We mostly drive on cleared roads in the winter and dry pavement handling is equally important to handling in inclement weather. I also like the handling when the tire is worn.

Does anyone know if the SUV version will be identical to the passenger version or will they be there be differences?

Michelin writes:
What’s difference between X-Ice SNOW and X-Ice SNOW SUV?
X-Ice SNOW and X-Ice SNOW SUV all belong to new X-Ice SNOW tire line, using the same design, compound and following same MICHELIN quality system to produce; SUV version with additional reinforced casing to adapt for heavy SUV vehicles & high torque levels. The “SUV” suffix has been added for those zones where the “SUV” marking is a key indicator of fitment. In North America, the X-Ice SNOW SUV tire line may cover certain fitments of passenger cars, CUVs and SUVs.

The X-Ice SNOW SUV replaces the Latitude Xi2.

Last edited:
From a Michelin FAQ:

How does the X-Ice SNOW performance compare to its predecessor?

We have tested the X-Ice Snow in both new and worn state. We have tested our tires at 2 different wear stages, to simulate several winters usage:
• After 10,000 km of real usage in North Finland (driven)
• At 4 mm remaining tread depth, obtained by buffing and 8,000 km pre-run in real usage conditions.

Winter grip: On average, snow grip has been improved by 4% and Ice grip has been improved by 8%.

Longevity: X-Ice SNOW maintains its leadership in longevity compared to average Tier 1 competitors.

Slush: Hydroplaning and slush performance have been improved by 7% compared to its predecessor.

Rolling Resistance: A reduction of 9% in rolling resistance allows for less fuel consumption.

Noise and Comfort: X-Ice Snow is at the parity in noise level and comfort versus its predecessor

Just completed my first 400 mile roundtrip w the X-Ice Snow. Temps in the 50's and mostly wet roadways with intermittent moderate to heavy rain.
Ride is acceptable if not impressive, hydroplaning resistance is at least as good as the i3's, perhaps better at high speeds. Dry road handling is very competent.
I think they are slightly quieter than the i3's as well.

Winter tire test results for 2020/2021 are beginning to appear online.

The Michelin X-Ice Snow was surprisingly unimpressive, coming in 6th place overall in testing by the Norwegian magazine MOTOR. But Michelin's studded tire did rank #1 among the studded tires.

Continental VikingContact 7 is ranked #1
Nokian R3 is ranked #2
Goodyear Ultra Grip Ice2 is ranked #3

Translation of above link

Another objective test of the X-Ice Snow, this time from Aftonbladet in Sweden:

The Nokian R3 has the top overall score: 8.3
The Continental VikingContact 7 has a score of 8.1
The Michelin X-Ice Snow has a score of 7.9 (or is it 7.6??)

The test data is behind a paywall at:

Overview, from a secondary source:
...Aftonbladet with Robert Collin does the largest winter tire test in Sweden in collaboration with Test World. https://www.testworld.fi These tests are done every year before the winter tire season and below you can see the results. Here you can read the test in its entirety at Aftonbladet...

3rd place: X-Ice snow. Michelin brakes extremely well on ice, to be a tire without studs. And it works just as well. The side grip is a bit worse and the tire steers a little too slowly when you turn the steering wheel quickly. But it still always feels just as calm. On snow, the tire is just as safe and secure and helps the driver to get right even after minor wrong decisions.
On asphalt, the braking distances are a little too long, but the tire is calm in most situations. In an extreme evasive maneuver, the steering is a bit inaccurate, but the rear wheels always hold up nicely, which saves the situation.
The tire does not track in studded tracks or on a worn winter road and rolls easily.
Good: Grip and snow and ice. Always calm driving characteristics.
Bad: Braking on asphalt.

2nd place: VikingContact7.
Continental is excellent on ice. It brakes quickly and the driving characteristics in extreme situations are both fast and accurate. The boundary between grip and cord is soft and the tire forgives a driver error. On snow, the tire is best of all in the test, easily controlled in all situations and there is always plenty of grip.
On wet asphalt it is also good. It steers a bit slowly during an evasive maneuver but is stable and calm without unpleasant surprises. On dry roads you can lose grip at the back during a tough evasive maneuver.
It is medium stable on a track and medium easy to roll.
Good: Grip and driving characteristics on ice and snow.
Bad: Driving characteristics on dry asphalt.

!st place: Nokian R3.
To be an unstudded tire, the Hakka R3 works very well on ice. It brakes well but the best are the excellent driving characteristics. It steers safely and precisely and retains some grip, even after you have started to skid on the road. Very good to handle it without studs. The tire is, perhaps less surprisingly, just as good on snow with always equally calm and safe properties.
On wet and dry asphalt, Hakka 3 is better than average, which is an achievement because the ice and bare ground properties are always opposite. The tire steers slightly slowly, but is safe with good grip at the rear during a quick evasive maneuver.
The tire is quiet and very easy to roll, but tracks a little on a tracky road.
Good: Driving characteristics on ice, snow and asphalt. Rolling resistance
Bad: -.

Another test, again with the data behind a paywall, from Finland's Tekniikan Maailman. It might be the same data set as from Aftonbladet, but Im not 100% sure.

A short overview, from a secondary source:

The best friction tire in the comparison was the Nokian Hakkapeliitta R3. The ring scored 8.3 points. The good sides of the Friction King were driveability in all conditions and rolling resistance, no bad tire was found.

The second best friction tire was the Continental ContiVikingContact 7 with 8.1 points. Immediately after was the Michelin X-Ice Snow, which was only 0.1 points worse than the Continental. The good things about the Friction-Continental were grip and driveability on ice and snow, but dry drivability was criticized.

Michelin’s good column ended with grip on snow and ice, as well as calm driving behavior in all conditions. The braking grip on the asphalt was bad.

The Nokian R3 seems to be showing better test results this year, compared to the previous years. I assume they have recently tweaked their rubber formulation and perhaps also the internal construction of the tire.

Another test, again with the data behind a paywall, from Finland's Tekniikan Maailman. It might be the same data set as from Aftonbladet, but Im not 100% sure.

A short overview, from a secondary source:

The Nokian R3 seems to be showing better test results this year, compared to the previous years. I assume they have recently tweaked their rubber formulation and perhaps also the internal construction of the tire.
I hope it is not howling like R2 after 2-3 years. But, just in case I will stick to Continental and Michelin.

One more test, with data, of the X-Ice SNOW and competitors done at the impressive Test World in Finland.

#1 overall, among the studless tires: Nokian R3
#2 overall, among the studless tires: VikingContact7
#3 overall, among the studless tires: X-Ice SNOW

On the ice handling test, which tests lateral and longitudinal ice traction, and controllability, the above 3 tires were within 0.2 sec of each other in lap times.
The maximum difference in ice braking of the above 3 tires was 0.7m (test speed and temperature unknown).
The difference in ice braking distance for the best studded (Michelin X-Ice North4) and the best studless (Nokian R3) was 4.7m.

Fortunately for Test World, they own one of the best independent arctic testing facilities in the world which is why we're super excited to see this 21 tyre test, covering all the key friction studless and studded winter tyres on the market.

All tyres are in the popular 205/55 R16, and were tested using a VW Golf. There were some interesting new tyres in the test, including the first test of the studless Michelin X-Ice Snow.

Nokian R3 summary:
Positives: No obvious flaws, short braking distances and excellent handling on ice, very good handling and confident behavior on snow, above average performance in the dry and wet, stable during sharp maneuvers, low noise level, low rolling resistance.

VikingContact7 summary:
Positives: Short braking distances and excellent handling in the ice, optimum controllability in the snow, good handling in the wet.
Negatives: Oversteer balance in the dry.

X-Ice SNOW summary:
Positives: Short braking on ice (for a studless tyre), good handling and high level of safety in the snow, well balanced in the dry.
Negatives: Slight slower steering response on ice, relatively long dry braking.

One more test, with data, of the X-Ice SNOW and competitors done at the impressive Test World in Finland.

#1 overall, among the studless tires: Nokian R3
#2 overall, among the studless tires: VikingContact7
#3 overall, among the studless tires: X-Ice SNOW

On the ice handling test, which tests lateral and longitudinal ice traction, and controllability, the above 3 tires were within 0.2 sec of each other in lap times.
The maximum difference in ice braking of the above 3 tires was 0.7m (test speed and temperature unknown).
The difference in ice braking distance for the best studded (Michelin X-Ice North4) and the best studless (Nokian R3) was 4.7m.
That was some solid data. It seems if one was to draw a conclusion quickly, you can't go wrong with any of the 3.

I thought these were interesting.

Late in winter but I just got 4 of these installed on our Odyssey today had to order them but came in

was going to wait till next year but deal was too good for them right now to wait.

replaced 5-6/32” ws80 which still worked but not ideal if bad

no impressions other than discount got them on and they seemed ok to 60 mph for a few miles

Are these Michelin X-Ice Snow ok for summer also? I always buy Michelin's, and these are the only ones Discount has for my honda fit.

We bought a set of Xice Snow last fall for both cars last fall and they were excellent all winter. The winter was pretty mild (50" snow) with only a few deep snow days but handling was indistinguishable from our all season tires (Subaru with H rated RT43) . They were mushier compared to the V rated Honda tires (Purecontact LS) but very predictable. If we get an average (100"+) winter I expect that the difference will be more apparent. They even worked OK in the 60deg spring thaws.

Are these Michelin X-Ice Snow ok for summer also? I always buy Michelin's, and these are the only ones Discount has for my honda fit.
I've been driving very little, and didn't swap mine this summer due to work and family obligations.
They will wear very quickly, and obviously braking and handling are not ideal in warm temps.
Truth be told, an average driver will not tell much difference between an average all-season and the X-Ice Snow in the summer. Slightly mushier maybe, possible secondary body motions could be felt in some situations (though mine are thinner with larger sidewalls than OEM). They do an admirable job, even in heavy rain. Just don't push the limits. They will not brake as well as all-seasons in the heat.

I'm not condoning it, I'd actually advise against it, just sharing my experience.

The Michelin X-Ice Xi3 were the best tires I ever owned, and I recently upgraded to the X-Ice Snow and they are also great so far.

Back