Michelin Introduces New "X-Ice Snow"

How's the wet/slush traction?

I heard not as good as the old
Slush is very good, I cannot say any worse than Nokian Hakka R2 I have on Tiguan. Where they are much, MUCH better than Nokian is wet performance. Now, Continental claims that wet performance of Viking7 is only 1% weaker than Si. I had in Europe TS790, 810, 830 and 850. Wet performance of Viking7 is just bit weaker, but nothing dramatic. Compared to Michelin Xi2 I have on Toyota and had before on BMW X5, Viking7 is better in deep snow and slush, but there is no doubt Michelin is better in wet and especially dry. I had here in CO also Bridgestone Blizzaks WS70 and DM-V2, and of all these tires, I would buy Michelin and Continental again. DM-V2 was really bad in ice, and Nokian as much it excels in deep snow, slush and ice, it is complete opposite in dry, and sometimes in wet I think they are borderline dangerous.

These look to be good in slush . Deep sipes for bite , studs a bonus . Pics of tread are right to left .
IMG_3843.JPG
IMG_3842.JPG
IMG_3848.JPG
IMG_3847.JPG
IMG_3845.JPG
IMG_3843.JPG
IMG_3842.JPG
IMG_3848.JPG
IMG_3847.JPG
IMG_3846.JPG
IMG_3845.JPG

Yes tire might be good in slush, and that is about it. Expect it to underperform in all other categories compared to top tier manufacturers. Looks is not indicator of performance.

The more open design of the voids would be better for fresh powder. Hopefully, it's quieter than the original Winterforce, which saying it's loud was an understatement. The rounded shoulder blocks is better for more predictable dry handling (and doubt it would be decent on the dry handling aspect) than for cutting through slush.

Everything is a trade off it seems. Get tires that run well in snow and slush and add the studs for the ice. That's what I try to do with the Altimax Arctics I use on everything.

I use Cooper Evolution Winter T-rated with studs . Purchased late fall of '18 . Going on 3rd year . ACCENT does very well with them . I think they were around $68 each w/ studs . That price was after $50 rebate , so covered most of the cost for the studs . These begin at 12/32s' with deep sipes that go close to the base of the tire .
IMG_2387.JPG
IMG_2386.JPG

Last edited:
Tire Rack has a few sizes available now, in 14", 15" and 16".

Here are some of their impressions from the February introduction event:

...Testing New, Full-Tread Depth Tires
Tires Tested: Nokian R3 SUV and Michelin X-Ice Snow
Our first demonstration of the day would evaluate handling and braking on a packed snow/icy surface. Our route included a slalom; higher-speed, sweeping turns, some of which were off-camber and downhill; a 270 degree loop on a very icy surface; and ended with a 35-0mph braking zone. The Ford Escape test vehicles wore tires with full tread depth remaining, and we were instructed to drive both vehicles in a similar manner in order to determine the difference between the tires.

Driving the Michelin-equipped vehicle, the strong front end grip and confident front-to-rear balance was immediately apparent through the slalom. The steering wasn't as urgently responsive as the Nokian, but it felt considerably more linear and natural in the way it built effort and response. In larger turns, the X-Ice SNOW had greater stability, felt more planted and less likely to rotate, and when traction limits were exceeded, the breakaway and recovery were smoother and more gradual and less likely to upset the vehicle. In the braking portion of the test, the deceleration in the Michelin-equipped vehicle felt more authoritative, and the numbers appeared to indicate a significant advantage for the X-Ice SNOW. We will wait until our official testing to publish any hard data.

Following the packed snow demonstration, we moved on to driving in deeper snow, still using the same test vehicles and full-tread depth Michelin and Nokian tires. Using a lead-follow format, our drivers took one lap of the short, rally-style course with each product. While the deep snow changed with every passing vehicle and the tires tended to follow the ruts that were cut into the surface, the Michelin-equipped Escape allowed the driver to carry more speed through turns, in addition to exhibiting more confident response to the driver's inputs...

Testing Worn Tires – Buffed to 4/32" Tread Depth
Tires Tested: X-Ice Snow and Blizzak WS90

To demonstrate the long-lasting performance of the new X-Ice SNOW, Michelin then arranged drives similar to what our group had just experienced with the Ford Escapes, but this time we would be driving Hyundai Elantra Sedans equipped with tires that had been artificially worn to 4/32" remaining tread depth. The first drive would take place on a packed snow/icy surface, with a handling course consisting of tight, offset turns; larger, sweeping turns that were sometimes off-camber; elevation changes; and a straight-line 30-0mph braking zone. The second drive was around a rally-style course with deep, churned snow.

Around the handling course, both tires proved capable and delivered confident traction. The Michelin differentiated itself off the starting line, where the vehicle equipped with the X-Ice SNOW was able to launch with more authority, spinning less on the polished surface. Through the varying turns on the course, it was also apparent the driver could rely on the cornering traction provided by the front tires of the Michelin-equipped vehicle a little more. The additional grip allowed the driver to carry more cornering speed and lean on the outside front tire more before the front end broke loose and the vehicle began to understeer. Once again, in the braking zone the Michelin tires felt stronger, and the objective figures in this demonstration seemed to indicate a shorter stopping distance, but we will wait to draw a definitive conclusion until we test the tires head-to-head.

For this round of deep snow driving, the instructions provided to our team were to, with traction control engaged, keep the vehicle at full throttle throughout the entire course. While the deep, loose snow challenged both tires, it was noticeable the Michelin provided more traction for the vehicle to work with. The electronic stability control could sense lower levels of slippage, and as a result, allowed more engine speed, and therefore more power. Additionally, there were no instances where the vehicle really bogged down and seemed to just barely crawl for forward progress, which did happen a few times in the Bridgestone-equipped vehicle when encountering a long stretch of very deep, loose snow...

I have a couple issues first they pick and choose which tires they compare to in test.. also blizzak ws-90 is basically done at 5/32 the manufacturer even says it.. so why test against that tire worn?.. 3rd they arent "normal wear" its "buffed down" I had 6 year old michelin winter tires and they were hard as rocks.. its not just the wear its the age of the tire too.

Why didnt they test all 3 tires in both tests... I bet in the new condition the ws-90 are very close or better than michelins.

Then in worn out condition they test a tire that is worn past its useable winter tread.. why didnt they also test other tires? maybe the nokian doesnt fall off as bad as the blizzak that is totally without its multicell compound that stops at 5/32"?

That whole article reads more like michelin paid tirerack ad.. than anything objective and useful (and I like Michelin tires) just not blind.

I have a couple issues first they pick and choose which tires they compare to in test.. also blizzak ws-90 is basically done at 5/32 the manufacturer even says it.. so why test against that tire worn?.. 3rd they arent "normal wear" its "buffed down" I had 6 year old michelin winter tires and they were hard as rocks.. its not just the wear its the age of the tire too.

Why didnt they test all 3 tires in both tests... I bet in the new condition the ws-90 are very close or better than michelins.

Then in worn out condition they test a tire that is worn past its useable winter tread.. why didnt they also test other tires? maybe the nokian doesnt fall off as bad as the blizzak that is totally without its multicell compound that stops at 5/32"?

That whole article reads more like michelin paid tirerack ad.. than anything objective and useful (and I like Michelin tires) just not blind.
I would not give WS90 that much credit. WS80 was let down and WS90 is pretty much Xi3 chaser and do over WS80.
And Nokian does fall off, unless Nokian suddenly made dramatic leap with R3. Actually, Car and Driver I think had worn out test between Xi3 and R2.

What's the value of the 4/32" test? It's already technically "illegal" in states that have snow tire laws with a minimum tread depth (3/16" or 6/32")

For Europe, the minimum tread depth is 4mm (5/32"), which is around the depth which the Nokian WSI (snowflake) indicator wears out.

What's the value of the 4/32" test? It's already technically "illegal" in states that have snow tire laws with a minimum tread depth (3/16" or 6/32")

For Europe, the minimum tread depth is 4mm (5/32"), which is around the depth which the Nokian WSI (snowflake) indicator wears out.
And practically it does not make any sense in snow.

Going to be watching this thread. May need new winters for my 2011 BMW F10 X-Drive. I've been a fan of Hakkas for a while, and have R2s on this car right now. They really suck the BMWness out of the car in the wet and dry but have really run circles around others in poor weather especially with AWD. For the last 15+ years every time I'm shopping for winter tires I waffle between "performance" and "full" winters. The runner up when I got R2s were Pilot Alpin PA4s. Maybe thinking about leaning "performance" this time - are there new developments expected for Pilot Alpins which match the X-Ice Snow?

I'll have to watch for "performance car" reviews of the X-Ice Snow too...

Last edited:
Take a long look at the new Continental TS870

Take a long look at the new Continental TS870

Continental already gave us the VikingContact 7

Going to be watching this thread. May need new winters for my 2011 BMW F10 X-Drive. I've been a fan of Hakkas for a while, and have R2s on this car right now. They really suck the BMWness out of the car in the wet and dry but have really run circles around others in poor weather especially with AWD. For the last 15+ years every time I'm shopping for winter tires I waffle between "performance" and "full" winters. The runner up when I got R2s were Pilot Alpin PA4s. Maybe thinking about leaning "performance" this time - are there new developments expected for Pilot Alpins which match the X-Ice Snow?

you seem to be going from one end of the spectrum to the other..
R2 seriously compromised in non winter conditions to FULL on winter performance tire that is lackluster in winter conditions.

nothing wrong with going middle of the road such as a michelin studless.. handles like normal passenger tire in wet/dry still great in winter.

or even conti viking contact 7.

If you want more performance I would consider Pirelli winter sottozero 3

Get Viking7. I have them on 328 and I have Hakka R2 on Tiguan. Hakka's are very, very narrow tire. They are horrid as you stated in dry and wet. Uncomfortable, loud. Viking7 are everything R2 is in snow and ice, but much, much better in dry and wet. Plus they ride like any Continental tire, smooth.

you seem to be going from one end of the spectrum to the other..
R2 seriously compromised in non winter conditions to FULL on winter performance tire that is lackluster in winter conditions.

nothing wrong with going middle of the road such as a michelin studless.. handles like normal passenger tire in wet/dry still great in winter.

Yep, I know. I frustrate myself. Keep in mind this is 15-20 years of tire purchases. Starting with some Q rated original Arctic Alpins - great winter traction but at 110kph and above ballooned so much lane changes felt dangerous. Followed by "nuts to this" Dunlop Wintersport M3s - great for one season and left me sliding into intersections unable to stop with 8/32" tread depth remaining. "I have kids now, nuts to this" to Hakka RSis, which turns out had compound problems and were dangerously slippery in the wet above 5C. That car was totalled (red light runner in the summer) and the replacement came with a set of WS60s "these aren't as bad as I thought they would be". Various situations led to my current vehicle which came with a set of Dunlop Wintersport 3D RFT, which were OK but when those dried out (before wearing out) I went with R2s based on decent overall feel and handling on a friend's non-performance vehicle. Now we're here :)

I believe I saw that my size of X-Ice Snow would be H-rated, which is a positive indicator for me that high speed highway stability and "plantedness" would be there. I've had loaner cars with Conti ExtremeWinter and they did pretty good. That combined with reviews of PA4s saying they did quite well had me thinking about the performance end of the spectrum again.

Anyways, will be watching and studying. I have also observed very apparent understeer with the R2s just like the reviewers comparing the X-Ice Snow to the R3. It would be lovely to dial that out. Any time there's snow, ice or slush on the road I've loved the R2s on this vehicle. In the dry and wet I just tip-toe around with no feeling of connectedness listening to the rrrrrrrip sounds from every control input and imagining the dollar bills being ground away on the asphalt. :)

Continental already gave us the VikingContact 7

I mentioned the TS870 as a newer alternative to the Michelin PA4 that Craig is interested in. The newest Michelin Alpin tire is the Alpin 6, but I am not sure if it will ever show up in the North American market. Some sizes are available in V speed rating.

Last edited:
I mentioned the TS870 as a newer alternative to the Michelin PA4 that Craig is interested in. The newest Michelin Alpin tire is the Alpin 6, but I am not sure if it will ever show up in the North American market. Some sizes are available in V speed rating.

Alpin isn't a performance winter, it's a family car winter tire lineup.

When it has the word "Pilot" prefix, it becomes a performance winter.

Continental, in order for it to be a performance winter, it has to have the "Sport" suffix. Because the TS870 doesn't have the "Sport" suffix, it competes with the Alpin.

But in the US world speak, any dedicated winter tires that is not a studdable or Blizzak/Xice/Hakkapeliitta type winter tire is automatically considered to be a performance winter, just like summer tires are automatically assumed for be for performance cars.

Back