Michelin Hydroedge vs others

Status
Not open for further replies.
+1 on the Michelin pilot exaltos

I have them on my Avalon and they are good performers as you have said. They are also extremely quiet. I bought them through Costco to replace same Champiro's sold to my by the local Toyota stealership. The Champiro's were an OK tire, but I thought I had a different car when I first got the Michelin tires. The difference was like night and day.

Didn't I explain that I swapped L&R and that affected the pull?

Don't you guys realize that I had *NO* pull with the last tires, the Coopers or any of the EIGHT other mounted wheels I have?

Don't I get credit for knowing what a pulling tire feels like?
I have a crhappy Firestone that pulls and I still use it on the rear of my car as a smoker.

TR seems to feel there is a problem, as they sent a second replacement.

Simply pulling a wheel off does not cause a problem, and the failure rate is now 50%, as far as I am concerned.

Surely you at least acknowledge that the possibility of two tires that have the exact same deficiency from a tire maker noted as producing some of the the highest precision tires on the market is so low that most reasonable people would question the circumstance, and feel that there's probably a different factor at play. Sure, it's possible, and it seems like you'd be one unlucky cat.

I've only drank one can of Coke Zero in my life; had my first one the other day, and the can was dented. Failure rate: 100%.

Originally Posted By: Oil_Can_Harry
+1 on the Michelin pilot exaltos

I have them on my Avalon and they are good performers as you have said. They are also extremely quiet. I bought them through Costco to replace same Champiro's sold to my by the local Toyota stealership. The Champiro's were an OK tire, but I thought I had a different car when I first got the Michelin tires. The difference was like night and day.

This is a typical Michelin experience. Felt like a new car again! Wait till you stop on the rain sometime.

Sorry, OP, but taking wheels off and on CAN cause problems, especially when the servicing dealer is [censored] that you haven't bought anything there! All TR is doing is trying to cure your problem.

The issue here is diagnostic. First you have to figure out what's wrong, THEN you can fix it.

Best of luck.

Well, 2nd new replacement tire on... the left, the side that was PUSHING and everything is perfect now. I marked the tire BAD, because it was BAD. I have no idea if the first one, the right, is bad. I went with TR's diagnosis of a pulling tire, although I felt like the left was bad the whole time...and it was.

I'm to annoyed to discuss the merits of the HydroEdge. It's been about as big of a disaster you can have with mounting 2 tires.

I have been buying nothing but top Michelins for my (I have 5 cars now) cars for over 20 years. Hydroedge and before that X-one. They are great, ride well, and last a long time.

My car has 16 inch wheels and the Hydroedges were expensive for it and I risked buying Yokohama Avid S for half the price. I like them so far but only have 200 miles on them.

I don't know if you previously mentioned it or not, but do you have the Green-X version or the regular?

The Hydroedges I got for my mom's car have been good so far. They're Green-X ones. I have not actually driven the car, but the other three people in my family have and not one complaint from them. My sister actually remarked about how quiet the car was with them (of course the previous tires made terrible road noise by the time they were ditched so maybe her perception is skewed). We got them from Discount Tire Direct. Maybe Tire Rack got a bad batch?

Originally Posted By: asiancivicmaniac
Maybe Tire Rack got a bad batch?

Could be. I think anyone sees a top manufacture and expects literal perfection. Any process designed and implemented by humans will have errors in it. I've gotten a bad tire from Michelin before, but I keep buying them. In my experience, my chances of getting a "bad" tire are far less with Michelin than with other brands. Overall, I cite the same experience that most others have, such as Michelins typically requiring very little weight to balance, being right the first time, etc. I had a bad one once and it had to be replaced. It happens. That's life. You move on.

This is one reason (besides price) that I prefer to shop local. If you do have an issue, you don't have to deal with waiting for a replacement tire, sending a bad one back, maybe doing all that twice, etc. Nonsense. Besides local guys almost always being able to beat any online price, I get service with a smile.

Ok, I'm back. Drove a bunch of curvy roads in the dry. On-center feel is missing. I have to turn the wheel about 2 inches farther to get the same steering input as other tires.

These are T-rated, and I took a chance on them being less crisp handling, but TR said they are the best handling in it's class. I got them for the wear and to match-up with the other 2 Michelins I have on the car, Pilot Sports. I know, it's a poor match. I do like the Pilots on the front, much better.

To be fair, the lst time I drove that road was in the Astra with the new BFGs on. Those are XL rated, somthing I think I might like on the Accord. I'll do the winter with these and next winter the Pilots on front and basicly leave the HydroEdge on the back....forever.

This leaves the Eagle Response Edge as my favourite tire on this car. I had the CS4s on last and they are not bad at all. I'll use them with the EREs as my summer set.

I have the T-rated HydroEdges too. They are indeed much crisper than the Kumhos I had before, and the Firestones I had before that, but not even close to the Pilot Sport A/S my roommate has on his TL. Of course there is also a huge difference between 215/70-15 (mine) and 235/45-17 (his), not to mention the basic differences in the cars.

Quote:
f course there is also a huge difference between 215/70-15 (mine) and 235/45-17 (his), not to mention the basic differences in the cars.

Yeah that would be like comparing apples to oranges.

I just got these from TR. It grips very well but, the size I have may have a factor more than the tire itself. Hard to say. Have a '98 Honda CR-V with 215/65-15. Previous tire was B/F Goodrich T/A Touring with 205/70-15 before. I noticed the B/Fs are 700 treadwear but, the treadwear on
Michelins are 800 treadwear. Warranty on the B/Fs are 70,000 miles which I pretty much got out of. The Michelins are warrantied 90,000 miles though. Hope I can get that much out of them.

Pretty solid handling and apparent grip. No complaints now. When they are cold, I seem to be able to peel out, w/a 4cyl Accord automatic, which is scary, but when running warmed, they seem fine. I'm using them up front in winter, so hopefully they have some grip.

I kind of regret buying them now. At the time I was searching for super-wearing tire, but now could get away with lower wear-more grip.

Originally Posted By: Audi Junkie
Pretty solid handling and apparent grip. No complaints now. When they are cold, I seem to be able to peel out, w/a 4cyl Accord automatic, which is scary, but when running warmed, they seem fine. I'm using them up front in winter, so hopefully they have some grip.

I kind of regret buying them now. At the time I was searching for super-wearing tire, but now could get away with lower wear-more grip.

Yeah, I still dislike the Hydroedges. I must admit though, that the treadlife is incredible.

I have over 40,000 miles on the set that's on the Saturn, and there's still 6/32 remaining on all four tires. And this is with mostly city driving as well.

Gen. Altimax HP:
have a set on wife's 03 Elantra and they're pretty much PERFECT: not single complain, really: very good handling, quiet, and VERY STABLE IN RAIN, most of all: it almost feels like driving on dry pavement even when in pretty hard rain.
wifey has commented several times how safe she feels in the rain since we got new tires...
They have about 9,000 miles on them now.

Can highly recommend. It's a lot of tire for the money.

Looks like a c0nsumer magazine rated HydroEdge #1.

..unless you ever have to drive in snow/ice. I tend to read between the dots in these ratings. How can a tire be rated tops, when it's "poor" in any category?

It seems the SL2's, maybe even SL1's are very easy on tires.

Originally Posted By: The Critic

Yeah, I still dislike the Hydroedges. I must admit though, that the treadlife is incredible.

I have over 40,000 miles on the set that's on the Saturn, and there's still 6/32 remaining on all four tires. And this is with mostly city driving as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back