Michelin Hydroedge vs others

Status
Not open for further replies.
fwiw, I have a pair waiting to go on my Accord. I'm taking off some almost new Generals on my good wheels to mount the Hydroedge up with a pair of Pilot Sports I already use. Michelins on all 4 corners. I have not purchased Michelins in a L O N G time, but now I have them. My 2006 Acura did have Michelins from the factory, but they were Pilot HX, yuck.

UPS delivered the tires yesterday and they were installed this morning. I haven't driven the car or rode in it yet, but I'm hearing that they are riding quietly.

Factory specs are 30 psi front and back iirc, but some people who reviewed them said the shoulders wear faster than the center on these tires even with 40 psi in them so I might up the pressure.

I'm sure if Michelin didn't have a rebate that we would have went with the Solus KH16 or General Altimax HP. But with two rebates that could potentially put the tires down to $286 for a set I think the Michelins were a steal (that is if neither rebates don't get denied).

I have a problem. One of my new Hydroedge is pushing the car upon install and now I have to go to a Michelin dealer to have it looked at. Total pita.

Originally Posted By: asiancivicmaniac
I'm sure if Michelin didn't have a rebate that we would have went with the Solus KH16 or General Altimax HP. But with two rebates that could potentially put the tires down to $286 for a set I think the Michelins were a steal (that is if neither rebates don't get denied).

Did you get the rebates back yet?

Rebate or not, the Solus KH16's would have been much less than the Michelins and are actually better (check Consumer Report test and Tire Rack report). The Kumho's are great tires, but the model has been discontinued.

Originally Posted By: The Critic
Originally Posted By: asiancivicmaniac

Did you get the rebates back yet?

Yup. Mom got both of them in about a month after they were sent out. No complaints about the tires so far. Oh, the tires are made in the US so that is a plus.

Last edited:
It may have a slipped belt. It happens. I had a Michelin Agility tire on our old van that wouldn't balance. I bought it at Sears, and they spun balanced the tires 3 or 4 times and could never get it right. I paid $60 for a Hunter road force balance out of my pocket, and the road force balance showed one bad tire. I took that printout back to Sears, and they promptly ordered a new Agility (and it balanced fine) and even paid me $60 in cash (at my request) to find the bad tire they couldn't find.

I typically buy Michelin tires, but no company is immune from manufacturing mistakes. It happens every now and again.

It's definately bad. It may be the same one that vibrated after TLE reported it as a bent wheel, but road force spun it out ok. It's now smooth but pulling.

It's been really frustrating. 2x balances and the authorized michelin shop that did my road force now decided to blow a bunch of smoke up my butt about speed ratings and +0 sizing.

I really hate that, they have no respect for customers at all. Good tires came off, bad tires went on. It went from not pulling to pulling. That simple logic is not something that can be agreed on though.

Now TR has softened their position and I can get a replacement tire if I self-diagnose which one is bad.

Anyway, I haven't bough a set of Michelins in 20 years, now I buy 4 and one is bad. That's 25% failure rate in my book.

Originally Posted By: Audi Junkie
Anyway, I haven't bough a set of Michelins in 20 years, now I buy 4 and one is bad. That's 25% failure rate in my book.

For your small sampling set, yeah, it's a 25% failure rate.

Boil anything down to a very small sample set, and you can get disproportionately high failure rates. A co-worker had a Hyundai Tiburon that was a real lemon. He sold it with only 27,000 miles because it was always at the dealer. It was his only Hyundai. He happened to get a bad one. As far as he's concerned, that's a 100% failure rate, and he won't try another one. Never mind that they have some of the better marks in the industry lately.

Yep. Had it swapped to the other side and now it pulls left. Great. Now I have to make a 3rd call to TR and beg them to send me a replacement tire. I had them mounted & balanced (2) that was $25, then $28 for the Road Force and now another $6 rotation and I suppose andother $12 to $20 to get it back mounted and balanced.

A minimum of $75 to mount and balance 2 tires.

There is no benefit to buying tires online.

My local dealer will match their pricing and can service me when I need it.

I feel your pain, but you sure as [censored] didn't save anything.

Well, the replacement tire did not help. I was told to replace the tire on the side to which it was pulling. Did that and it's exactly the same.

Now I have another replacement tire coming for the other side. TR seemed to think the same as me, that the 1st batch of tires seemed questionable.

I'm really sick over this. These types of problems are stressfull. At first, TR sent me to an authorized Michelin dealer for inspection, that was awefull....exactly the reason I don't go to tire shops, those guys were totally full of bullXXXX.

So, since my 1st mount and balance, I spent:

$28 for Road Force on one side and a respin on the other.

$6 to swap the tires L&R

$12 M&B the replacement plus $2.50 to rotate the one back.

another $12 to M&B the next one.

$60 in excess charges and I have no idea what the problem is.

First, rebalancing a tire is NOT going to fix a pull.

Second: There is a very simple test that will sort this out:

Swap the front tires - left for right.

1) If the pull doesn't change, then it's not the tires. And usually it's alignment.

2) If the pull changes direction, it's the tires.

30 If the pull disappears, it's both tires and alignment.

Based on what you've posted, I'm guessing you have some problem other than tires.

Look at a brake dragging. It's possible the mounting dislodged something, and it's now stuck between the pd and the rotor.

I have seen cars develop similar issues just from improper wheel mounting!

Simply pulling the wheels can open a can o' worms.

And the same erroneous logic that allows you to conclude a 25% failure rate for Michelin will also allow you to conclude that ALL tire stores are bad!

Truly sorry to hear of the difficulty but these are only some of the "joys of ownership". Just be glad you don't have a lot of vehicles.

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
There is no benefit to buying tires online.

My local dealer will match their pricing and can service me when I need it.

+1 on that. This is the very reason I prefer to cull a relationship with a local tire retailer. Lately (laugh if you like), it's been Sam's Club. I have "my guy" in there that I always deal with, he does all the tire work on my vehicles (like tire mounting and fixing flats), and he does a professional job. I don't need to deal with sending tires back and forth in the mail.

To Audi_Junkie, I'm sorry to hear that the replacement tire didn't help. Sounds like there's another problem you're chasing. Hope you get it resolved!
frown.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back