Michelin Hydroedge Treadlife

Status
Not open for further replies.
I highly doubt they will be performing as they should be after 60-70K . If the tread is worn much past 5/16" they will start to hydroplane . As someone mentioned it always looks good on paper .

Do some internet research , lots of great info an tires out there .

Originally Posted By: The Critic
Of course, grip be [censored]-- these are very low-grip tires IMO. These tires have a firmer sidewall and acceptable dry grip, but in wet they are mediocre at best.

My experience has been otherwise.

I put a set of Hydroedge on my wife's 2002 Camry, front.

The grip in the wet was nothing short of phenomenal.

However, they were exceptionally noisy.

So, I put a set of Goodyear Assurance TripleTred on the front and moved the Hydroedge to rear.

Last May we were caught in torrential rain for days heading through North Carolina, South Carolina, and Florida.

With these tires on the car you could do 75 mph all day long on the Interstate with no sign of hydroplaning or other slippage - it was like driving on a sunny day.

I've been riding on T-rated Hydroedges for nearly a year now. At 10,000 miles of mostly city use they still look new.

I prefer them to TTs in all weather conditions except for snow. They're excellent in rain, good on dry pavement, but mediocre on ice, hardpack and newfallen snow. They also pick up nails just like the TTs. Guess it's the tread pattern. I thought the ride was too soft and the sidewalls too mushy at 32/32, but at 42/40 I can feel the road again.

I feel safe on the HEs because the noise frightens other drivers from getting too close to me.

These are great tires, I am not sure why anyone would be concerned with having them on their car. 90,000 mile warranty is great. I have never had a problem with them and in fact they are the best tire I have ever owned. You can't go wrong with them, I driven a lot worst that cost a heck of a lot more. My tires still look new with almost 18,000 miles on them. I would rather have a great value in a tire, then some cheap/expensive tire that will go bad in 25,000 miles, meaning 2/32's.

can't speak about snow, but we are nearly exclusive Michelin buyers due to their extremely high performance.

They stick great, they last long!

They can actually make a [censored] car or truck drive better.

I've had these hydroedge tires for about 2 years & 20,000Mi now on my 00' civic. Best tires I've ever owned with this car. I've heard many people complain about helicopter noise as well but I've never gotten that with my mine. Maybe they had the tires mounted on the wrong way.

Anyway, great in the rain (reason I got these in the 1st place), tread is almost like new, & the few stomp-on-the-brake full screeching to a stop maneuvers I've gotten into the tires performed well. The only time they let me down was when we had that last big snow dump here in NYC where we had about a foot of snow. They preformed like any other garden variety all-weather. I'm sure tripletreds would have done a little better.

The only reason I got these instead of the the tripletred was because I wanted to buy from Costco. I'm pretty sure that I would have been just as happy if I had gotten tripletreds.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: The Critic

Does anyone else own a set of Hydroedges? How are they holding up for you?

I've got a set on my Buick and they wear like iron. Excellent tires.
thumbsup2.gif

The Hydroedges on the Camry were installed at 78511 miles and got them rotated for the first time at 92988 miles with 9/32 on the front and 10/32 on the rear. Had 12/32 when new so 3/32 and 2/32 for ~15k miles of use.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back