Michelin Defender LTX/MS after 40,000 miles

I just got back from a Road trip and thought I'd make this Post.
For me it's another Ho Hum Observation, but maybe not for others on the Board.
I purchased these tires 16 months ago, and they have 40,300 miles on them
The tread depth is 9/32nds of an inch. When New, they start at 12/32nds of an inch. For me, these tires are at approx 50% useable life. On my past 4 sets of Michelin Defender's, I run them to 75k miles (when the tread depth is between 5/32nds and 6/32nds of an inch) and sell them on Craigslist for $275-300. I usually do this in April or October, when Michelin has the $70 Visa Rebate
I hope this helps some of the Great people on this Board

Attachments

• IMG20220812173924.jpg
    IMG20220812173924.jpg
    175.7 KB · Views: 123
  • IMG20220812173804.jpg
    IMG20220812173804.jpg
    111 KB · Views: 125
Had those on my wife’s old Lexus GX. Had the dealer swap them on when we bought it brand new and they looked almost new at 60,000 when we sold it. Great tires and your strategy of selling is smart.

That's a heck of a tread life. Given how well they do in braking tests, makes me think it might be worth the extra coin to buy them in the next year, when I'll be putting new tires on my Highlander and Sienna.

The tread life is obviously helped by tremendous straight line highway miles 40k miles in 1.25 years.. yeahhh (ill pass)

I have these on my wife's '14 CR-V. They have about 68k miles and still have decent tread left. I would say 75-80% highway. They are a little loud but I wouldn't expect them to stay quiet with that many miles. When I repalce them, my first choice would be the CC2 but if I couldn't get them I would get these again.

I have these on my wife's '14 CR-V. They have about 68k miles and still have decent tread left. I would say 75-80% highway. They are a little loud but I wouldn't expect them to stay quiet with that many miles. When I repalce them, my first choice would be the CC2 but if I couldn't get them I would get these again.
They’re not great for smaller crossover applications, imo. The ride quality suffers unnecessarily.

This tire is getting a bit old and I’m interested in seeing what it gets replaced with. There are newer tires that have better wet traction.

I just got back from a Road trip and thought I'd make this Post.
For me it's another Ho Hum Observation, but maybe not for others on the Board.
I purchased these tires 16 months ago, and they have 40,300 miles on them
The tread depth is 9/32nds of an inch. When New, they start at 12/32nds of an inch. For me, these tires are at approx 50% useable life. On my past 4 sets of Michelin Defender's, I run them to 75k miles (when the tread depth is between 5/32nds and 6/32nds of an inch) and sell them on Craigslist for $275-300. I usually do this in April or October, when Michelin has the $70 Visa Rebate
I hope this helps some of the Great people on this Board

Many deep sipes to the base ! 🤤

They’re not great for smaller crossover applications, imo. The ride quality suffers unnecessarily.

This tire is getting a bit old and I’m interested in seeing what it gets replaced with. There are newer tires that have better wet traction.
I have found no discernable difference as far as ride quality on my Honda crv...

I do the same thing as you, I sell my tires at 40%-50% remaining treadwear for decent coin on Craigslist and buy new. I'm OCD about new tires I suppose. I used to run tires down to wear bars, and I understand the value of doing that, but I just can't anymore. Used tires sell fast!

Paid for a set for our 16 odyssey will be installed in about a week and a half

Replacing (pro rating and warranty) a different set of tires that are not great

Back