Michelin Defender LTX M/S 275/60R20

Is it me or the tread on Kumho Crugen HT51 looks identical to LTX?

1604553126423.png

Is it me or the tread on Kumho Crugen HT51 looks identical to LTX?

View attachment 33244

There are a number of tires that are "heavily inspired" by the LTX. It's been an incredibly successful and long-running tire series and has an enviable reputation so it's not surprising that other brands would try and capitalize on that.

I run the Michelin Defender LTX MS on my Colorado. Being somewhat less weight than other vehicles I can see these lasting well over 60,000 miles.

This tires outperforms in all categories. The only truck tire I'll ever run.

I picked up a set of 225/65R17 for my wife's CR-V based on reviews and she couldn't be more happy with them. They have ~48k miles on them and are just starting to show wear. She was driving 20k a year mostly highway miles but now with the work situation she isn't driving as much and I have her driving my 18 Legacy to put miles on it. Though, if it starts to snow she will start driving it again since she is more comfortable in her car than mine. I wouldn't hesitate to get her another set unless Michelin comes out with something better.

I recently removed a set of Michelin LTX M/S 2's from my Ram 2500. I replaced the tires with Toyo Open Country H/T II's.

I am moderately okay with the Toyo tires. The Toyo's are quiet, almost as smooth but (and it's a BIG but) the tires seems to have a lot of lateral slop after quick steering input. The best way I can describe the Toyo tires is that a quick steering input results in the back end of the truck "steps out" about a 1/2 a second later, like a lot of sidewall flex. The tread depth is very deep on the new tires and I wonder if the tires will feel better when the tread is worn down about half way? Also, there is slightly more vibration with the Toyo tires

The price difference is significant. About $230 per Michelin tire versus $175 per Toyo tire in the LT265/70-17 size.

I wanted to try the Continental Terrain Contact HT tires out the door at $195 per tire.

The Michelin tire is hard to beat as an all around great highway tire.

I’m on my second set on my Tacoma. Got close to 70K without an alignment. My second set I got an alignment. It was off but not terribly.

Back