Michelin CrossClimate2 Tires

while we haven't had nearly that much snow, when driving through what we have had, there are a few Turns I know for sure my old Tires (Cooper CS5 Ultra) would have fishtailed on, these CC2's went steady and true. Just right around the turn, no slip at all.

Was out this morning on 7"unplowed snow in my forester when nothing was running except 1 jeep and 3 picvkups. Zero AWD drives. I had zero problems in my '18 Forester XT the tires are amazing.
They work well as snow biased all season tire. I am happy with mine although noticed maybe a 1 MPG dip on my 2015 Pilot.

Reactions: hrv
I just found out about the 3 peak tires like the cross climates after buying tires for my daughter's car. This was about 4 years ago? I was a little perturbed I was not aware of the 3 peak tires.
I put the cross climates on my 16 Ford Focus FWD. I can't get up our steep private road in snow/ice. But they seem to do well otherwise.

I just found out about the 3 peak tires like the cross climates after buying tires for my daughter's car. This was about 4 years ago? I was a little perturbed I was not aware of the 3 peak tires.
I put the cross climates on my 16 Ford Focus FWD. I can't get up our steep private road in snow/ice. But they seem to do well otherwise.
The original were Nokian way back and somewhat hard to acquire (now everywhere). I have been buying them since 1999 for New England then on Civic , Subaru , Acura etc.

I am glad bigger players went into game as more choices.

The original were Nokian way back and somewhat hard to acquire (now everywhere). I have been buying them since 1999 for New England then on Civic , Subaru , Acura etc.

Are saying the Nokian tire you bought was a 3 peak tire back in 1999?

Which was basically a performance winter tire from Europe. And they were bad compared to the competition in that performance class. Others just decided not to bring tires like that to NA market.

Did not know

Did not know 3 peak went that far back in the US?
Went back to 1999 in Canada and the US. Adopted in Europe around 2012.

The Canadian tire industry and the Tire and Rubber Association of Canada led the creation of the ASTM F-1805 test method and the development of the Three-Peak Mountain Snowflake (3PMS) symbol. Since 1999, the test and the symbol are used throughout the world to identify tires designed for winter driving.

I have them on my EV6 GT, and the only thing that made me nervous was glare ice on chip n seal. Looked like the road was just wet. Up hill through curves. All 4 tires churning for about 1/4 mile and the electronic wizardry making sure it went where I pointed it.

Other scary incident was around 32f we had about 2" of wet, heavy snow. The kind that when you drive over it, it gets kinda translucent and absurdly slick. My drive way is a 27% grade, and going down that on CC2s in my GT was a bit nerve-racking. After safely doing so (you must turn at the end...or into a pit you go), I looked back up it. Looks like it dragged the tires a hair coming down, but I regulated my speed without it increasing, so that's a win. That driveway is so steep that if you park your car on it mid-way-up, and set E-brake and put the vehicle in Park, I can literally 1-handed shove your car down my driveway. I remember doing that a while back to prove a point about how steep it was since it doesn't show up well in pictures, angles and all. And these CC2's controlled a 5000# vehicle on 255/40/21's on wet, heavy snow, descending. I was impress!

1708606510058.jpg

1708606826117.jpg

Last edited:
Over 22k miles (in about 3 years) on a set of these and still have around 7/32" left on all 4 corners, so on par for the course for the 60k mile rating. Did well in cold weather and light snow (past few winters where I used to live unexpectedly had very little snow), did well in the wet, and did fine in the dry.

No noticeable noise changes, except for the occasional sounds/clicks due to this tread pattern and spacing being a pebble magnet.

No noticeable fuel mileage change, was able to highway-only average 26-27mpg on my car (which was same was about the same as my previous Dunlops and Pilot Sport AS3+, and meets the EPA rating) on a cannonball/cross-country move, with an additional 1k lbs in the backseat and trunk. No issues whatsoever, and that is with a Costco patch and plug on one of the tires within the first 3k miles.

Overall, a great tire if you live in a wintry/snowy climate and only have one set of wheels and tires. In this scenario, it's definitely a better choice to get an "All-Weather" tire rather than an "All-Season." That being said, if I knew I'd end up moving to somewhere with little to no chance of snow, I would've just stuck with UHP All Seasons and gone with the Pilot Sport AS4.

I have them on my EV6 GT, and the only thing that made me nervous was glare ice on chip n seal. Looked like the road was just wet. Up hill through curves. All 4 tires churning for about 1/4 mile and the electronic wizardry making sure it went where I pointed it.

Other scary incident was around 32f we had about 2" of wet, heavy snow. The kind that when you drive over it, it gets kinda translucent and absurdly slick. My drive way is a 27% grade, and going down that on CC2s in my GT was a bit nerve-racking. After safely doing so (you must turn at the end...or into a pit you go), I looked back up it. Looks like it dragged the tires a hair coming down, but I regulated my speed without it increasing, so that's a win. That driveway is so steep that if you park your car on it mid-way-up, and set E-brake and put the vehicle in Park, I can literally 1-handed shove your car down my driveway. I remember doing that a while back to prove a point about how steep it was since it doesn't show up well in pictures, angles and all. And these CC2's controlled a 5000# vehicle on 255/40/21's on wet, heavy snow, descending. I was impress!

View attachment 204810

View attachment 204812
I don't know, but from the tire track it sure looks like it's on backwards. That would help with braking maybe but would hydroplane easy I would think.

Back