Michael's Motor Alley Podcast - High Mileage Oils

I started listening to this podcast today (pinned to the top of this forum). In his High Mileage Oil episode, he was very adamant about not using HM oils in vehicles under 75000 miles. He said the seals would swell too much and the next time you used a non-HM oil, they would return to normal size and leave gaps where new leaks could occur. This is the first I've heard this. I've also heard plenty of folks mention that HM oils are safe to use in any vehicle, regardless of miles, because they adhere to the same certifications that non-HM oils do. Besides, if what he says is true, wouldn't the oil manufacturers have to print very bold warnings on their HM bottles saying NOT to use this oil in low mileage vehicles?

Typical Internet blather by someone who doesn’t know what they are talking about. As you note all one needs to do is look at the approval or license the oil holds and recognize that these have seal swell limits and requirements as part of the license. The rest is just nonsense. But of course it’s more flashy to claim disaster to get ratings.

I used Maxlife in the company Transit for 120K miles, from the first oil change at 7500 miles, because VIOC was adamant about using a synblend oil (I know VWB is a blend too, long story), it never leaked a drop. Even for a couple VWB OCIs when I finally talked sense into the greedy morons! Of course, it did burn quite a bit (not the oil's fault, sloppy Ford engineering).

So I'm to believe that HM oil makes seals swell and non HM oils reverse the process?
This sounds pretty bad.
I haven't watched the video.
I no longer believe a larger % of stuff that I believe on the TV and internet.
Kinda stinks as I used to use my PC to learn and educate myself.

I started listening to this podcast today (pinned to the top of this forum). In his High Mileage Oil episode, he was very adamant about not using HM oils in vehicles under 75000 miles.
I don't see that episode ... got a link to it?

Update - Found the episode - only 6 minutes long.

Typical Internet blather by someone who doesn’t know what they are talking about. As you note all one needs to do is look at the approval or license the oil holds and recognize that these have seal swell limits and requirements as part of the license. The rest is just nonsense. But of course it’s more flashy to claim disaster to get ratings.
Could this be a situation of:

"yes, the amount of seal swelling is considered acceptable, but it'd be better if these products were not used to begin with."

Here's a list of all (?) of this podcasts.

I started listening to this podcast today (pinned to the top of this forum). In his High Mileage Oil episode, he was very adamant about not using HM oils in vehicles under 75000 miles. He said the seals would swell too much and the next time you used a non-HM oil, they would return to normal size and leave gaps where new leaks could occur. This is the first I've heard this. I've also heard plenty of folks mention that HM oils are safe to use in any vehicle, regardless of miles, because they adhere to the same certifications that non-HM oils do. Besides, if what he says is true, wouldn't the oil manufacturers have to print very bold warnings on their HM bottles saying NOT to use this oil in low mileage vehicle
Answered my own question...

Hello BITOGers – Pennzoil here! We wanted to elaborate on the information Michael shared on his High Mileage podcast episode. Our Pennzoil High Mileage motor oil is specially formulated to provide protection for older vehicles or vehicles with 75,000+ miles on them. It is formulated with a higher level of seal conditioners in order to condition older seals in high mileage engines. Think of it this way: the valve guide seals in a newer low mileage engine are like normal rubber bands and older high mileage engine are almost like old rubber bands – they are more stretched out in comparison.

Remember, all motor oils have sealed conditioners. Pennzoil High Mileage just has a higher-level of seal conditioners to swell and help seal older seals. Extra seal conditioners are not really needed in newer low mileage engines. When using a high mileage motor oil in a newer low mileage engine, it could cause more conditioning to the seals than needed. Putting it simply, the seals could be worn into a swelled expanded condition. If one decides to go back to the previous motor oil that was used before the high mileage motor oil was installed, there could be chances of oil consumption.

Hello BITOGers – Pennzoil here! We wanted to elaborate on the information Michael shared on his High Mileage podcast episode. Our Pennzoil High Mileage motor oil is specially formulated to provide protection for older vehicles or vehicles with 75,000+ miles on them. It is formulated with a higher level of seal conditioners in order to condition older seals in high mileage engines. Think of it this way: the valve guide seals in a newer low mileage engine are like normal rubber bands and older high mileage engine are almost like old rubber bands – they are more stretched out in comparison.

Remember, all motor oils have sealed conditioners. Pennzoil High Mileage just has a higher-level of seal conditioners to swell and help seal older seals. Extra seal conditioners are not really needed in newer low mileage engines. When using a high mileage motor oil in a newer low mileage engine, it could cause more conditioning to the seals than needed. Putting it simply, the seals could be worn into a swelled expanded condition. If one decides to go back to the previous motor oil that was used before the high mileage motor oil was installed, there could be chances of oil consumption.
Exactly. I've experienced this in my own vehicles. Never had a "leak issue" using non-HM oils... However, once I did, and then went back to a "Normal" oil, I started seeing more leakage. I know for many, this makes no sense... but to me, seal conditioners do actually swell the seals... I am one to believe using these (In a HM Oil) for a vehicle that does NOT require it, is only causing more future issues.

I'd like to know what type of seal conditioner Valvoline uses, because they said you can use their HM oils in a new engine with no concerns. Regardless, there would be no need to use a HM oil in a new engine anyway.

I'd like to know what type of seal conditioner Valvoline uses, because they said you can use their HM oils in a new engine with no concerns. Regardless, there would be no need to use a HM oil in a new engine anyway.
Oh I disagree with you on this one. I've bought Jugs of HM oil for as little as $4 a Jug! Reason enough and it hasn't hurt a thing it would seem the Toyota has over 150K on it now!

Hi Gena - From what you're saying, it sounds like there is a potential to ruin seals on newer vehicles if you use HM oils in them. Wouldn't some sort of consumer warning on the bottle make sense?

Hi Gena - From what you're saying, it sounds like there is a potential to ruin seals on newer vehicles if you use HM oils in them. Wouldn't some sort of consumer warning on the bottle make sense?
I just started using my stash of Valvoline GF-6 5w-20 HM full synthetic at 2$ per jug from Walmart in my 2017 Mazda with 2.5L with 95,000 miles that was run every day 150 miles, mostly highway round trip. I changed the oil previously every 5000 miles and it had no leaks. I hope it doesn't explode and start puking oil now.

Back