MI Garand lubes?

Status
Not open for further replies.
What is everyone using for lubes, oil and grease wise?By the way I purchased this rifle 4 years ago and it is one of my favorite "fun guns" I own.At fifty yards I can hit a half dollar piece 5 times in a row off the sand bag with my reloads and standard battle peep sight..fantastic..especially with my old eyes.Take it moose/bear hunting every year with me as my camp gun.Now I'm using Remington CLP for my light oil requirements and Bullseye red synthetic grease.Wasn't John Garand a Canadian?
patriot.gif
grin.gif
canada.gif

Years back I use to use a light coating of gun grease on the bolt, topped off with a bit of 'Gun Slick' I think it's called. I recall using a gun oil on the operating rod at the gas port. There's plenty of good stuff available these days, where BreakFree CLP is a good product to start with.

I think that the sights on the M1 Garand are the best ever designed; rear peep with easy wind and range adjustements, good protection, and a decently protected front post.

Greaser I don't have a M-1 but I have it's kissing cousin, the M-14. Both weapons have the same lube requirements and I use TW25-B grease. I think that the original grease used for the Garands was Lubriplate 123. I used to see USGI grease pots for sale in gunshops around here but the supply has been exhausted. Who is the manufacturer of your Garand; Springfield Armory, Winchester, H&R or other? I plan on buying a Garand and 1903 Springfield before I die.

Here is a pic of my H&R M-14. It doesn't actually belong to me but it belongs to the Sheriff's Office I work for and it is assigned to me. Sorry, the auto selector is gone and it is semi-auto only.
 -

Nothing like a nice day at the range!Up here the M-14 is very expensive ($1000-$1400)for a Springfield but a Chinese knock-off(Norico)can be had for $3-$500.They are rough in fit & finish but function allright.My M-1 is a Springfield manufacture 1943 according to the serial number.It was purchased from the Belgium arsenal where it was re-barreled.I bought it for $300 and it was a great deal.The finish has a few honest wear points but all in all a great looking/shooting firearm!The Garand looks a little "chunky" but it points and holds fantastic on target...great gun!By the way your M-14 looks great.

I use 80-90 weight gear lube on my Garands. It seems thick enough to stay where I put it but it's not grease as the purists use. kwg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back