Methods to collect oil samples, no oil change?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey, guys. I'm new to the UOA scene. I'm 4,000 miles into my first run of Amsoil SSO. I'd like to perform a UOA at 5,000 miles without changing my oil, and again at 7,500 miles. I'm asking all of this before I order a kit from my Amsoil account, to find out what is the best method of actually pulling a sample of oil to send in, how much to remove etc?

Anyone with their method in mind or of a way I can do this without spending a lot on expensive equipment(I could get a siphon for cheap to pull it out via the dipstick)...but if one method or tool is more effective at pulling a true sample out then I'm for that since I want the UOA to count.

Lastly, any general thoughts or tips are welcome.

Thanks.

Oh, and I did think about removing the oil filter but on second thought any oil coming out may have slightly raised ppm counts of wear metals so I didn't want to go that route and top off after oil filter replacement etc.

Well, if you go to the Blackstone website, they have a siphon that attaches to the sample bottle for oil samples. You have to go in through the dipstick opening. Without doing an oil change, either using the dipstick siphon method of through the filler hole in the crankcase would be the only suggestions that I have for obtaining a sample.

If you have time and are interested, go to the Blackstone website and take a look at the siphon that they have available.

The dipstick tube siphon is the correct way.

I do it the incorrect way: Pull the plug, let it drain for several seconds, stick the sample container in the stream until it fills, and then put the drain plug back in ASAP. Messy, clumsy, and occasionally painful since I always draw the sample with the oil at operating temperature.

I suppose that's the other area I need tips on. Should I sample cold, warmed up, or right after a trip to operating temp or a long trip?

Ha, after posting this I went reading on the Blackstone Labs website and they have a procedure outlined. I'll just drive the car for a bit on the highway, return home and siphon out from the dipstick enough for the sample. Ordered my free test kit too! Whee.
grin2.gif

The dipstick tube siphon is how I do it.

Engine runing I fill and dump the bottle 3 times then take my sample. KIC anything is left in the tube from the last time I sampled.

Guys, will a basic $25 UOA from Blackstone give me the operating temp viscosity? What all is included in the basic? I'm considering TBN at least, maybe a TAN as well.

Originally Posted By: hate2work

Think about getting a Fumoto, once you do you'll wonder how you got along all those years without it.

I may do that eventually, definitely have strained my neck before from over-tightened drain plugs while using just a pull handle to remove it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back