Metal in 6L90 drain pan, Express van

2011 Express van, 337k, think trans is original. Bought the van from Copart. I think it was a railroad crew transport van. Fleet maintained. First drive it slipped shifting into 4-5-6. 1-2-3 was fine. Drained through the cooler supply line to lower fluid level. Then pulled the pan and found metal in the bottom. See pics. I have never rebuilt a transmission but considering it for this one. Engineer by day job. Average shade tree mechanic by night. Any advice? Mainly targeting Clinebarger for info.

Used transmissions are only about $500 cheaper than going new and have all the 6LX0 issues that lead to these failures. Torque converter, etc. New trans is about $3k drop off and carry out. Thinking I can save $1000 or so doing the labor myself. I would prefer to find a local 6LX0 guy to do the work if possible.

Attachments

• PXL_20220523_021441561.MP.jpg
    PXL_20220523_021441561.MP.jpg
    189.5 KB · Views: 301
  • PXL_20220523_020203240.MP.jpg
    PXL_20220523_020203240.MP.jpg
    120 KB · Views: 302
Last edited:
Converter likely failed and took out the trans and/or 4/5/6 clutch is burnt up.

What advice exactly are you looking for? You’d have to invest in a fair amount of tooling to do this yourself and either a FSM or ATSG manual.

Converter failure!

Pump Stator, Pump Rotor, Pump Slide, Pump Vanes, & Bellhousing will need replaced. There is a special alignment tool for 6L80/6L90 pumps.
The Pump Rotor & Slide are selectable, I keep all three sizes in stock because of this, You will likely need all 3 & send back the ones you don't need.

Bushing replacement requires special tooling, Though you could measure the depth of each bushing before removal & drive the new ones in at the same depth.

It is possible to walk the LARGE center support snap ring out with a heavy duty Awl & screwdriver......But this will be very challenging for a beginner & you run the risk of busting the case! Snap ring pliers for this run @ $200.

The 1234-35R Drum needs to be inspected very closely for cracks in the Drum & Pistons! Assembling this Drum can be challenging.

A Billet Front Twin Disc Converter is highly recommended as is a TransGo Tow & Pro shift kit.

As Matt stated.....You'll need a FSM or ATSG manual.

Thanks for the constructive and thoughtful replies.

I really want to find someone who is familiar with these trans to rebuild with Transgo kit, HD converter, all the good 6L90 upgrades and tune with HP Tuners. Not sure how to find that locally. Doesn't seem like something an average run of the mill Trans shop will do. Hence why I was thinking of doing it myself. I am willing to spend the money on tools, bushing press tools, etc. Saw a picture of a guy that ground ears on a pair of hedge shears to use on the center snap ring. Get creative with that one. I am willing to buy the ATSG manual, only $35 on Amazon.

Last edited:
Do yourself a favor and pick up a GM unit from your closest dealer. Unbeatable warranty, in addition to carrying all published "updates" to the transmission assembly.

Change the transmission fluid and try the fix in a bottle first. The amount of metal I am seeing does not concern me. No chunks of anything.
Interesting reply. Knowing that the metal is likely from the torque converter failing, would you replace it before putting new fluids in it and trying again?

Update: found a FM marketplace deal. 2011 6L90E, rebuilt in 2017, 50k miles on rebuild, out of a 2011 Express 3500. Should drop right in. $750. Seller is willing to ship Fastenal Blue Line Freight. Quote was $170 to ship. With new fluid and my labor around $1000. Seems reasonable for a van I am not sure I will keep but can resell road worthy.

Update: found a FM marketplace deal. 2011 6L90E, rebuilt in 2017, 50k miles on rebuild, out of a 2011 Express 3500. Should drop right in. $750. Seller is willing to ship Fastenal Blue Line Freight. Quote was $170 to ship. With new fluid and my labor around $1000. Seems reasonable for a van I am not sure I will keep but can resell road worthy.
Does that come with the converter? Seems like a good deal, regardless.

I would encourage using the TransGo shift kit that Clinebarger recommended. That should be a cheap upgrade piece, and now would be the time to do it.

Change the transmission fluid and try the fix in a bottle first. The amount of metal I am seeing does not concern me. No chunks of anything.

That's really bad for a 6LxxE unit, Once you see metal bunched together at the filter intake (yellow rectangle).....It's game over!

I can tell simply by looking at the magnet.....6LxxE units do not make debris like that unless the Converter Clutch has gone metal to metal.

RYxuWPE.jpg

Does that come with the converter? Seems like a good deal, regardless.

I would encourage using the TransGo shift kit that Clinebarger recommended. That should be a cheap upgrade piece, and now would be the time to do it.

It does include the converter. I spoke to the seller tonight. He said it has a rebuild tag on the case. The converter is painted grey and has a build date tag of 2017. Came out of a 2011 van. So for $750 that was by far the best deal I could find. Seller is going to drop off at a Fastenal near him and I will pick up at one near me. Shipping for a 350 mile distance between Fastenal stores was quoted at $170. I would spend that in gas for the 650 mile round trip and saves me a 10 hour drive.
That's really bad for a 6LxxE unit, Once you see metal bunched together at the filter intake (yellow rectangle).....It's game over!

I can tell simply by looking at the magnet.....6LxxE units do not make debris like that unless the Converter Clutch has gone metal to metal.

RYxuWPE.jpg

Thanks for the reply. Once I dropped the pan, I knew it was toast. Got a low mile used unit coming. Do you think installing the Transgo SHIFT KIT (https://transgo.com/product-details/6l80-shift-kit/) is worthwhile before installing as suggested above?

Back