Metal conditioners?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been getting some information of metal conditioners like Roil,Prolong, IXL. Does anyone have any experiance with any of these or other metal conditioners.

My understanding is a 10 to 15% increase in mpg.

Mel Miller [email protected]

Unlikely.

Prolong has proven nothing scientificaly. The others I don't know.

I mean let's face it if GM could increase mileage 15% by "conditioning the metal" and avoid CAFE abuse, I'm thinking they would do it.

What the heck is conditioned metal anyway?

I'm actually ashamed to admit this, but once Prolong was available in stores, I figured I had to try it.
dunno.gif

Only later did I find out that no one could duplicate the results of their "run-dry" tests (shown in the infomercial) and that the FTC was no suing them (along with Slick-50, Z-max, etc ...
banghead.gif

I think the active ingredients in this stuff is actually a chlorinated compound which initially promotes light corrosion but uses that corroded layer as a friction modifier.
shocked.gif

I wouldn't use that crap again if you GAVE it to me.
rolleyes.gif

--- Bror Jace

[ December 14, 2002, 04:25 PM: Message edited by: Bror Jace ]

Bror, you are exactly correct on how most of these products function.

Except there is one other aspect that they purportly do and that is to fill the asperities or rough parts of contact points in ep/mixed lubrication areas to reduce friction.

I've got to say that I have seen motor oils so chemically "hot" that we drained the lube right after a qualifying run and had to report it to the EPA as a Hazardous Chemical
lol.gif
lol.gif

But we went faster.
shocked.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Pablo:
Unlikely.

Prolong has proven nothing scientificaly. The others I don't know.

I mean let's face it if GM could increase mileage 15% by "conditioning the metal" and avoid CAFE abuse, I'm thinking they would do it.

What the heck is conditioned metal anyway?

I agree, if all these additives worked as advertised then you would think the Top 3 manufactures would get in on it.

Personnaly, just run a good quality synthetic like Amsoil 0w-30 and a quality air and oil filter and you don't need anything else.

Kind of like feeding your body only good quality high proteins and carbs. Make you feel so much better and perform in sports in top form. Same goes with your vehicles.
grin.gif

patriot.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Rat407:
just run a good quality synthetic like Amsoil 0w-30 and a quality air and oil filter and you don't need anything else.

Kind of like feeding your body only good quality high proteins and carbs. Make you feel so much better and perform in sports in top form. Same goes with your vehicles.
grin.gif

patriot.gif

Rat, I'm gonna pick on you so my question to you is why do you think you need a good quality synth, why not a good quality blend or mineral oil?

hispeed
I only trust Militec-1 which has amongst other things has U.S Dept of Defence part no's (used in Nuke subs etc). Also regarded by most as the best gun lube available.

To the best of my knowledge, Militec was never approved for use in engines for the DOD. It does have national stock numbers but these were assigned for its use as a weapons lubricant. Although there was a lot of politics associated with the promotion of this product, since it contains chlorinated paraffins, it was not considered to be suitable for use in internal combustion engines.

So Militec is safe to use in a gearbox or a gun, but not an internal combustion engine. Now that we've got that cleared up...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back