Messy oil change

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: ThirdeYe
or if it hits right in the middle of the pan where the drain hole is, it sprays all over the place like an erupting geyser. Hate when that happens!

Haha that very same thing happened to me Fri when I was changing my gf's oil. Sprayed all in my hair! Guess I didn't need to use any conditioner in my hair that day :p

My last change on the Civic wasn't messy, but I didn't double-check my records and made it premature! Dumped PenzPlat at only 3k! Oops - I swore it was due for a change. At least the filter had ~9k on it.

On one of my changes about 11 years ago on my W126 Mercedes, the plastic oil drain pan began to leak! It was one of those with the screw-on cap so that you could pour the used oil out into the recycling bin. Always worked fine. But suddenly, the 4th or 5th time I used it, it began to leak ugly black oil everywhere. Thank all the gods it did that before I put it in the trunk for the trip to Autozone!

I managed to plug it up and disposed of the oil and pan, never mind how. The next day I bought a Topsider and did all my changes on the W126 and its successor MB by the "suck it out through the dipstick" method.

I keep a folded-up plastic throw sheet in the trunk for when I need to get under the car...to keep ME clean...if I do spill any liquids, well, the sheet keeps the ground clean too...

We've all been there and done that.
Messes sometimes happen.
We learn from our mistakes and move on to that next oil change.

I will say only this: never sneeze while carrying a full drain pan.
frown.gif

When I was a teenager I decided to change out the transmission oil pan gasket on my '65 mustang because it was seeping.

I forgot to tighten one bolt so after a short drive I parked in the garage and ATF shot out all over the floor. What a freaking mess. Parents didn't find out though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back