MERCON V VERSUS MERCON

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 1998 Ford Ranger with a A4LD automatic trans. It is the first year Ford made Mercon V the requiremnet. I purchased it used and it has 32,000 miles on it. I plan on changing the trans fluid. A good freind of mine who is an ASE certified mechanic who rebuilts transmissions told me the only difference between MERCON and MERCON V is conventional versus synthetic. I change all my fluids other then oil at least annually and probably only put 2-4 thousand miles on the truck. Mechanic told me MERCON V is a waste of money for me. Its entire purpose is to help with shift quality and transmission durability as the trans fluid ages. For how often I plan on changing it he considers it a waste of money for me. Is he right in his assessment?

Last edited:
You don't have an A4LD. The last year for the A4LD was 1994. You have a 4r55e.

And most Mercon V fluids are not even synthetic. Most are synthetic blend. The only one I can even think of that is full syn (AND Ford approved) is Motorcraft.

As I said in my post on The Ranger Station, (exbass94 there) using regular Mercon will negatively affect shift quality and may cause problems because of the different friction modifiers.

Originally Posted By: exranger06
You don't have an A4LD. The last year for the A4LD was 1994. You have a 4r55e.

And most Mercon V fluids are not even synthetic. Most are synthetic blend. The only one I can even think of that is full syn (AND Ford approved) is Motorcraft.

As I said in my post on The Ranger Station, (exbass94 there) using regular Mercon will negatively affect shift quality and may cause problems because of the different friction modifiers.

I believe Motorcraft MerconV is semi synthetic, the only full synthetic MerconV fluids are Amsoil ATF and RedlineD4.

I am not sure if Mobil 1 makes a MerconV speced fluid yet, my thought is that they probably have one out now.

Thanks for mentioning this site..it rocks.

Wait a minute.
Only 2-4 thousand miles each year and you change all fluids at least once in that period?
That's overkill for some fluids!
In this case, your mechanic is right. Why waste money on the more expensive MerconV?

Originally Posted By: mechtech2

In this case, your mechanic is right. Why waste money on the more expensive MerconV?

Because his transmission REQUIRES Mercon V.

Originally Posted By: mechtech2

Because his transmission REQUIRES Mercon V.

Yes it requires Mercon V; but not to be changed every 2-4000 miles. Use Mercon V; change it every 6-10 years or so, if you drive that little. It's ridiculous to change ATF every year if you drive 2-4K mi/yr. Some people never change ATF and their transmissions last 150K miles.

Charlie

It depends on the climate.

If you were the exchange(flush) the transmission completely now, then the occasional drain/refill every few years is plenty.

Your location has climate changes so rust/condensation, along with seal integrity, are what to worry about.

I could hook up the landscape trailer, fill the bed up with dirt, cinder blocks, lumber..... and toast the ATF in a few hundred miles. So, there is NO SUCH THING as a ridiculous maintenance interval. It depends the the USAGE of that vehicle.

A full synthetic ATF(Redline, Mobil1, Amsoil, RoyalPurple, Amalie), any MerconV, or a high mileage ATF(Maxlife) are what I would use.

If you don't plan on a FULL EXCHANGE NOW, then your partial change intervals with the best ATF you can afford is acceptable.

On my '97 Aerostar, the OM helpfully advises that you check trans dipstick for the fluid requirement.
Mine is stamped "Mercon V"
Now, from what I have read on Ford forums, it does actually matter.
In the case of my Aerostar, a fresh fill of Mercon V made the third to fourth shudder go away, as well as the hesitance to engage reverse in cold weather when the trans was not warmed up.
In some cases where Mercon V is back-speced, it provides greatly inferior shift quality relative to the older Mercon spec, at leat according to a number of posters on Ford boards.
So, use what the tranny calls for, and all should be well.
It should not be necessary to change trans fluid yearly, but even if you do, use the recomended fluid.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back