Mercedes- Shell 134 or Valvoline maxlife?

Status
Not open for further replies.
For 1990-2000 cars, are they equally good? I believe forum said one was semi-synthetic, but other met higher spec. I have 4 or 5 speed.

Last edited:
I think the 4-speed auto uses regular Dexron III, so practically any D/M or DexMerc will work just fine. Maxlife is great stuff and very popular here. Mag 1 Synthetic is also a good choice.

The 5-speed automatic uses ATF+4. All ATF+4 is the same.

Be very careful with the Mercedes 5 speed (722.6)...it was designed to be "sealed for life". The MB spec has to be met, Maxlife says "suitable for", while the Shell says, "meets 236.10" or "meets 236.14" which is the superseded specification.

For example: http://www.atraonline.com/gears/2006/2006-04/2006-04_04.pdf

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w210-e-class/1463460-mercedes-benz-722-6-transmission-faq.html

My S600 pushes over 500 HP through the same transmission...and I am pretty picky about the fluid as a result...

Last edited:
Mercedes 5 speed transmission 722.6 and 7 speed transmission needs ATF-134, they are available from several companies: Shell, Mobil, Fuchs ... Mobil and Fuchs are hard to find, I bought Shell ATF-134 from a local Shell distributor.

I should add that I run Dex III in the '92 300E 4-speed. Works great, meets spec. For that car, I would be fine with anything that meets DEX III, including Maxlife...

Originally Posted By: tommygunn
I think the 4-speed auto uses regular Dexron III, so practically any D/M or DexMerc will work just fine. Maxlife is great stuff and very popular here. Mag 1 Synthetic is also a good choice.

ATF+4 is not suitable for Mercedes 5 speed (722.6) transmission, Chrysler dealers have MB236.12 ATF for Chrysler Crossfire and Dodge Sprinter which use MB 5-speed transmission. Source:
http://starparts.chrysler.com/starlibrary/marketing/chemicals/chemicals.pdf

That 722.6 is the same transmission used on the LX cars, which take ATF+4

They may have changed things for the Sprinter and Crossfire, but the LX's transmission is likely just the 90s hand-me-down.

Curiously, the Crossfire owner's manual says Dexron III can be used. The manual is available from Chrysler's website.

Up until late 05 Chrysler was actually using Benz pieces in the SRT8's that were being produced in extremely small numbers. My July 05 production car actually has made in Germany tags on the rear end and the trans. These are genuine Mercedes parts right out of the E55 parts list.

I have run ATF4 since new. Fantastic slushbox, very durable and super smooth.

And FAR from a hand me down, it was way ahead of its time. INFINITELY variable lockup in every gear but first, ball and roller bearings where most trans have plain, and complete integration into the ESP system make it nearly state of the art today.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR

ATF+4 is not suitable for Mercedes 5 speed (722.6) transmission, Chrysler dealers have MB236.12 ATF for Chrysler Crossfire and Dodge Sprinter which use MB 5-speed transmission. Source:
http://starparts.chrysler.com/starlibrary/marketing/chemicals/chemicals.pdf

The Jeep Grand Cherokee of the same year uses Chrysler ATF+4 and a Benz transmission.

I don't know why they have to use different ATF for the same transmission.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
Mercedes 5 speed transmission 722.6 and 7 speed transmission needs ATF-134, they are available from several companies: Shell, Mobil, Fuchs ... Mobil and Fuchs are hard to find, I bought Shell ATF-134 from a local Shell distributor.

If you have a 722.5 5 speed, don't use ATF-134.
Valvoline Maxlife will be fine.

That 722.6 is the same transmission used on the LX cars, which take ATF+4

They may have changed things for the Sprinter and Crossfire, but the LX's transmission is likely just the 90s hand-me-down.

Curiously, the Crossfire owner's manual says Dexron III can be used. The manual is available from Chrysler's website.

This is not a good assumption. Fluid recommendations depend on the application, friction materials and the software programming. The programming on the MB application may have well necessitated a different fluid choice.

@Critic, sure, but the for the transmissions the OP was asking about, ATF+4 will work fine if it's the 722.6, otherwise Dexron.

The different programming you speak of didn't happen until well after 2000.

Here is from Mercedes engineer that I know.
Follow this link for the information on Mercedes 722.6 transmission, note the last line in the image

Benzworld

What about Castrol

Or Red Line Oil W0133-1840589 Automatic Transmission Fluid
this part is an exact fit for: 2010 Mercedes Benz ML450

Also

Mobil ATF 134
Colour, DIN ISO 2549 red
Viscosity, DIN 51 562-1
cSt @ 40ºC 29,6
cSt @ 100ºC 6,5
Viscosity at -40 ºC, DIN 51398 mPa s 8500
Pour Point, ºC, DIN ISO 3016 -51
Flash Point, ºC, DIN ISO 2592 200
Viscosity Index, DIN ISO 2909 185

Castrol Import Multi-Vehicle Automatic Transmission
Fluid (ATF)

Recommended for use in vehicles as indicated below:
Manufacturer
Specification
Acura
ATF-Z1 (except in CVTs)
Allison
C-4
Audi
G-055-025-A2
BMW LA2634, LT71141; Texaco ETL-7045-E, ETL-8027B, S
[censored] M1375.4
Chrysler
ATF+3
®
, ATF+2
®
, , ATF+
®
Ford MERCON V
®
, MERCON
®
, XT-9QMM5
General Motors DEXRON
®
-III H, II-D, II, DEXRON
®
; 9986195; Type A, Suffix A (TASA)
Honda
ATF-Z1 (except in CVTs)
Hyundai
SP-II, SP-III
Idemitsu
K17
Infiniti
Matic-D, Matic-J, Matic-K
Isuzu
Genuine
Jaguar
Shell M1375.4
Kia
All specifications
Land Rover Texaco N402, Shell M1375.4
Lexus
Type T, T-III, T-IV
MAN
339F
Mazda
ATF M-V
Mercedes Benz
Sheet 236.x

Mitsubishi
Diamond SP-II, SP-III
Nissan
Matic-D, Matic-J, Matic-K
Saab
Transmax J
Subaru
All specifications
Toyota
Type T, T-III, T-IV
Voith
55.6335.32 (G607)
Volvo
All specifications
Volkswagen
TL52162, G052 990
ZF TE-ML 03D, 04D, 14A, 14B, 16L, 17C
Various (Aisin-Warner
transmissions)
JWS-3309 [size:11pt][/size]

When you see 236.x that doesn't mean it is for all Mercedes transmissions. The 722.6 & 722.9 are totaling different transmissions. The fluid for a 722.9 transmission is compatibility with the 722.6 (although shifting is affected), but the 722.6 fluid with trash the 722.9 transmission.

I have been using Valvoline MaxLife in my 3 Mercedes (all with 722.6 transmissions) since 2011 without any problem. I change it every 40,000 miles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back