Mercedes Owners

Sorry I have no long term ownership experience with this brand. Short term no issues. It's a luxury euro car so repairs will come with the luxury-euro tax.

One thing I do know is that this platform was shared with Infiniti (Q30/QX30). Same car different skin.

Had one for a loaner for a day and it was pleasant enough. About as exciting as a Corolla and with about the same interior space. Not sure why people are gaga over these compact suvs when a CLA would have similar space but be a lot more entertaining to drive.

I don't follow the GLA, I do more E class. GLA tends to be more stripped and doesn't have as many luxury features and options that might be standard on the E are extra cost on the GLA. But the basics will be to use a vin decoder to see what options the car has. Then you can read about the options on Motor Trend or the brochure. Then the usual warnings, beware of first year models and I think some of the 4 cylinders might have issues with the piston cracking/wrist pin. You can also get the EPC which is the parts lookup and the full dealer repair manual which is the WIS on eBay in the $10 range.

Reactions: GON
Had one for a loaner for a day and it was pleasant enough. About as exciting as a Corolla and with about the same interior space. Not sure why people are gaga over these compact suvs when a CLA would have similar space but be a lot more entertaining to drive.
They're just going down market. They just want people to get used to the brand at the lower price range so they can move up later. I thought about getting a C class at one point, but it wasn't that much cheaper than an E class in the used market and you got a lot more with the E class for just a few thousand more. You should try an S class or a GLS and then try and say the same thing.

I think I’ve had both the first and second generations as loaners. 2nd gen was much bether. Couldn’t even wear a hat while driving with the first gen.

I have a GLS which is a very different car - the only thing I can say is to go to MBWorld forums and see what the current owners are saying.

I have a GLS which is a very different car - the only thing I can say is to go to MBWorld forums and see what the current owners are saying.
Right there's basically mbworld.org and benzworld.org. Mbworld.org seems to be a bit busier. Just read the old threads to see what the common problems are and the years/options to avoid. In general though I like all the options and risks of failures are generally low.

My wife's main vehicle is a CLA250 4MATIC
She loves the car it did have a freak valve spring break at 106k miles

Somebody put some time into that one .....
For the record mine is a 4MATIC
What's the engine layout though?

Yeah that video has some good zingers and they know what they're talking about. There's a few other good rants out there but this one always comes to mind when it's mentioned. Too bad that actor died not too long ago.

https://www.glaowners.com/ is another site you can visit to get an idea of what you're getting into.

Generally, this model's sunroof slider feet are an issue, tend to break apart after only a few years and can be an expensive repair if done by MB (they replace the rails, sliders, and other parts). On that GLA owners website, there seems to be a new slider/shoe by a private seller, possibly from France, that makes changing these sliders in place very practical, without having to remove the rails. There are other issues but I am not too savvy on or what they may be.
If you are not familiar with the MB maintenance schedule, it will be something to take a look at. Basically, once a year maintenance, every year will encompass basic stuff; oil change and other yearly items, but every other year will generally have additional different items to replace. Then there are the mileage/time milestones for other maintenance items as well but will coincide with that years maintenance.

The E class is where Mercedes lives - an excellent car, sold all over the world. From the W123, to W124, through present day, it’s a “real Mercedes”. The S class has always been among the world’s best cars.

The GLA is an OK machine. But for the money, I would cross shop the RAV4, perhaps the CRV, in the higher trim levels.

Mercedes builds a good car, and routine maintenance isn’t bad, in fact it’s surprisingly inexpensive, but oh my, if repairs are needed, it can be shockingly expensive.

Oh yeah, the COMMAND system (NAVI and entertainment system) seems to be behind the times for that model year. No apple car play for that version I believe as that was introduced into later versions of the COMMAND system.

Oh yeah, the COMMAND system (NAVI and entertainment system) seems to be behind the times for that model year. No apple car play for that version I believe as that was introduced into later versions of the COMMAND system.
I think the icon on the screen for the bluetooth device is the first ipod. It's that old. Still works fine, though.

I think it actually stands for something so it's actually COMAND with just one M instead of two like the normal word. On the E class, Android Auto/Apple Carplay was limited to 2016+ models. Not sure about the GLA, depends when they updated comand to the latest version.
I think the icon on the screen for the bluetooth device is the first ipod. It's that old. Still works fine, though.
Bluetooth with Mercedes has been fine for a long while. I still have an ipod touch cable in my 2008 E-350 and I'm still using a 4th gen ipod touch. I just use Spotify and sync my playlists at least once a month. The bluetooth options for that year weren't that good and I like to use the steering wheel controls to go up and down the playlist and control the volume which you couldn't do with a generic bluetooth adapter.

Mercedes builds a good car, and routine maintenance isn’t bad, in fact it’s surprisingly inexpensive, but oh my, if repairs are needed, it can be shockingly expensive.
It's super expensive if you go to the dealer. The forums always have good advice, the indys can be a quarter to half the price of the dealers. But some indys charge almost as much as the dealer. Like motor mounts always seem to go because they used liquid filled ones so they don't last as long so they're usually 600+ at the dealer but I've had it done at an indy for $300-$400 including the mounts.

The nameplate is what gets many buyers gaga for Mercedes.

Back