Memorial Day

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was watching some of the activities at the Capitol last night on PBS. Some of it was heart wrenching.

Please take a moment today for a good thought for those who defend our country and were devastated by war.

May G0D bless them and their families.

Thank you Groucho for thinking of us. I spend the first 1/3 or so of my 29 year career in Marine aviation. I can rattle off a list of two dozen or so friends and colleagues who went out one day to defend the rest of us, and never came home. They are never far from my thoughts.
34.gif

Amen.

I grew up directly across the street from a cemetery that had their Memorial Day remembrance ceremony near the front gate entrance. I vividly remember the 21 gun salute--how quiet everyone was, how LOUD the guns were, how moved I was, and how that very few in my age group (about 10 or 11 at the time) had the chance to experience this deep, soul-moving experience. If you weren't moved by it, you didn't have a pulse.

I am very thankful for their service to this country.

Many years ago I was lucky enough to be invited to a military wedding where I witnessed something extraordinary.

I kept seeing people approach this older gentleman, who was sitting on the side of the pews and wearing a suit, and either shake his hand or salute him. Even the high ranking officers would approach and offer the first salute, usually the responsibility of the lesser rank.

I asked about him, and was told this guy had received the nation's highest medal of valor, the Congressional Medal of Honor. And in honor of his grand daughter's wedding, he was wearing it this day.

So I did something very unusual for me. I steeled myself, walked up to him and offered him my hand. He took it and gave me a firm handshake, and all I could think of to say was "Thank you". I'll never forget the way he looked at me, or how his hand felt, or the way that medal looked around his neck.

To all the veteran's on this board..."Thank you".

As I enjoy the company of family today, I will pause and ponder the gift that these fallen brave have given me. I owe many thanks to all who have served and especially to those who served and made the ultimate sacrifice.
34.gif

Too many Americans take our freedom for granted. If they could be in one soldiers place for a day I think they would think about how very very much we really have and what was sacrificed......

Thank You to all military past, present and future. May you always be in God's graces.
34.gif

You did witness something truly extraordinary! The respect, admiration, and even veneration accorded MOH winners in our military is amazing, and deservedly so. I recall my dad (a veteran of WWII and army retiree) telling me of the unofficial protocols he had witnessed when MOH awarded service members even walked into a room...everyone, even general officers would immediately snap to attention and salute, and then get on with whatever they were doing.

Many years ago, during the VN era, I was privilege to be the XO (executive officer) to a young captain who was, at the time, nominated for the MOH, and later received the award (in 1972). His acts, leading to his award, were absolutely stunning and amazing! He was rather smallish, very thin, and about 5'7" or so, barely 21 years old--and had a baby-face that would have made you guess him to be the last person you'd know to be a genuine hero! True to form for such people, his modesty was exceeded only by his heroics.

Needless to say, we owe so much to our military, past and present for the sacrifices they have made on our behalf!

I spend most of today attempting to comprehend the enormity of what Memorial Day represents. I find it hard, if not impossible to fathom the true feelings of this day beyond the usual superficial activities and nationalism we've become accustomed to. I have not lost anyone personally but many many of my brothers-in-arms can never be Veterans, I salute them today.

We often forget about those left behind; the family and friends. They live the comprehension I can only attempt to reveal to myself.
The Gold Star Mothers are one such group.

The USA wouldn't exist if it wasn't for the brave men and women who've served in the military and the ones who gave the ultimate sacrifice. The world is a better place because of them. God bless them.

Thanks veterans and active duty for all that you do.
34.gif

My father spent 4 years in the Navy during WW11 and Tony spent 25 years active duty and last night reading some of his Commendations and awards and thinking about all the poeple we knew then that never came home. He was in VN and various other places. Some came back but were never the same. I salute everyone that gave so much so that I can sit at the computer and enjoy the freedom to express my viewpoint. THANK YOU

Originally Posted By: hr1940
My father spent 4 years in the Navy during WW11 and Tony spent 25 years active duty and last night reading some of his Commendations and awards and thinking about all the poeple we knew then that never came home. He was in VN and various other places. Some came back but were never the same. I salute everyone that gave so much so that I can sit at the computer and enjoy the freedom to express my viewpoint. THANK YOU

And THANK YOU Helen. Most of us simply could not have done what we did without our loving and loyal spouses back home. There really should be a holiday for all of you as well.
34.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back