Meineke…..

So the only place I could find today to get a safety inspection was meineke. I was standing in line behind a guy with a Subaru Forester needing a oil change. He had called ahead of time to get pricing and was informed he HAD to use synthetic oil so naturally it peeked my interest to listen in for the reasoning. The service manager told him “IT WILL BLOW UP IF YOU DO NOT USE SYNTHETIC OIL” in a loud don’t question me voice. The man questions him again why. He said well it’s the timing components that need it. He then said it takes 0w20 which is “as thin as water”. The older man still confused agreed to the $59 oil change. I got a good laugh out of it.

I wonder how the whole visit went for the Subaru owner. The $59 oil change would be the least of my worries once they get it up on the lift and start pressuring him into other services that may or may not need to be done.

Technically, 0W20 IS the specified oil for those vehicles. Not sure if I agree with his approach, but it allowed them to sell the correct oil for the car.

$59 is stupid cheap for a synthetic oil change.
One of the KC area Ford dealers is now charging $79.95 for "The Works" package. with semi syn and tire rotation. I can remember in late 2018 this service was $39.95. The times they are a changin'.

^^ Yes, people do need to help others out. Merely describing things (bogus upsells, honest tradesmen etc.) is stuff many people need.

If we don't help each other, let alone just communicating, the bad guys get to win too frequently.

Yes, along the way you'll meet people who cannot be reached and will make you feel like a j'cass for attempting.

I don't know what state you live in but here in NC I do my "annual" inspection and renewal every 2-3 years.

Oops.
In N.C. our vehicle property taxes are paid at renewal time along with the annual sticker/plate renewal, and a driver/resident of N.C. Must have a current vehicle inspection to be able to renew their registration. Why would you do this and risk having the N.C. department of revenue come knocking wanting to know why you haven’t paid your vehicle taxes? With todays big brother technology I can’t imagine someone getting away with this for “2-3 years. What’s the old saying about death and taxes? As a side note: I had a N.C. state trooper pull up beside me at a stop light in Blowing Rock N.C. and remind me that I had failed to attach my renewal sticker to my plate and to do so when I get home. He had obviously ran my plate and saw my registration was current but had forgotten to attach the sticker. I gave him a thumbs up….the sticker was in the glove compartment and I put it on at my next stop so yes, a non current sticker is a big red flag and one can be pulled over for improper registration.

In N.C. our vehicle property taxes are paid at renewal time along with the annual sticker/plate renewal, and a driver/resident of N.C. Must have a current vehicle inspection to be able to renew their registration. Why would you do this and risk having the N.C. department of revenue come knocking wanting to know why you haven’t paid your vehicle taxes? With todays big brother technology I can’t imagine someone getting away with this for “2-3 years. What’s the old saying about death and taxes? As a side note: I had a N.C. state trooper pull up beside me at a stop light in Blowing Rock N.C. and remind me that I had failed to attach my renewal sticker to my plate and to do so when I get home. He had obviously ran my plate and saw my registration was current but had forgotten to attach the sticker. I gave him a thumbs up….the sticker was in the glove compartment and I put it on at my next stop so yes, a non current sticker is a big red flag and one can be pulled over for improper registration.
Why risk it?

Because I don't really care...

Technically, 0W20 IS the specified oil for those vehicles. Not sure if I agree with his approach, but it allowed them to sell the correct oil for the car.

$59 is stupid cheap for a synthetic oil change.
My daughter took her 2021 Mazda into Meineke in Charlotte NC for an oil change because she was away from home for several months. They charged $79 which came to $93 after tax and "shop supplies' expense. I called them to ask what synthetic they used (because I like to stay with the same oil for at least 2 OCI's). The guy told me we use Citgo synthetic "inorder to save our customers money". I have no problem with Citgo synthetic but I was a bit surprised that they used a $2 Primeguard oil filter (Chinese made) on a synthetic oil change. I'm not complaining but $93 isn't exactly cheap....I think my daughter now appreciates dad doing her oil changes for free....and using Mobil1, PP, QS, Castrol etc...

Back