Meguiers cleaner wax

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a tractor that I painted last year, it is a work tractor, not a show tractor. Would using Meguiers cleaner wax provide good protection and good shine? The Meguiers website is not very clear. (Yeah I am one of those farmers who waxes his machinery) Thanks

Meguires cleaner wax is my choice for a quick wax job on the car.
It is the easiest wax to remove, cleans well.
Years ago it was the top choice of Consumer Reports because of its ease of use. When I'm done, I spray cold water on the car to harden the wax.

I use Meg's cleaner wax as a base coat on all my vehicles, after clay barring.

It's excellent stuff, but I'm not sure on the longevity because I've always put on different top coats. It's cheap and easy to get, easy to remove.

However, I think if I were working with machinery, I'd probably go with something proven to last a long time like Collinite products. Or use Collinite as a top coat, which is what I do.

cornbelt89,
I'm another farmer who waxes his equipment, and yes, sometimes I get teased for doing so!

I second bigmike's suggestion for looking into a wax that lasts longer. When you say Meguiars cleaner wax, you are refering to their consumer, one-step cleaner wax, the one that comes in the red bottle, correct?
Now, I haven't used that one, but I did try NXT on our tractor, this was version 1, not 2. I was excited after first finishing the tractor, it looked great! The paint is single stage, and NXT made a big difference, the paint was darker, richer-looking. Then, came the test, we used the tractor around the farm. We park the tractor in our machine barn when we aren't using it, so we don't leave it outside 24/7. After a couple of weeks I washed the tractor to clean the dust off it, and I was expecting the NXT to be largely intact under all the dust, because after all, it was only a couple of weeks since I had done it. Well, I was disappointed, not only did it take a big hit, but it almost looked as if I hadn't even waxed it. I think this is due to the fact that the wax just doesn't hold up very well under the hot sun. I proved this as well with our 1991 Ford F-150, which is left outside, 24/7

So, wanting to find something that lasts longer on our vehicles, especially the tractors, I have tried Duragloss, Zaino, Collinite, and they all did a much better job lasting longer than NXT. Then, just last fall, I tried another company's waxes, and I have to say I'm impressed enough to where I think my search for the perfect wax is over for now. They do everything I'm looking for, provide great protection, last a long time, and another bonus I wasn't expecting and am impressed with is that the LOOK, the OPTICS created by the waxes lasts really well! The company I'm talking about is Finish Kare. I used the sealant 2180 on the tractor and truck, and I used 1000P on the SUV's and car. My brother's car makes for a great test of sealants and waxes because it is parked outside all the time in the elements, and it is driven a LOT. The Finish Kare is holding up really well on the car and is STILL going strong.
I don't mean to sound as if I'm raving about the products, I'm just surprised, not to mention pleased, about how they are holding up over time, even compared to Zaino and Duragloss, which I think are two companies that have some of the very best products on the market!

So, after reading some responses, I could put Meguiers cleaner wax on,wipe off, then after that come in with a better carnuba wax? Or would mixing those two formulas be bad?

Originally Posted By: cornbelt89
So, after reading some responses, I could put Meguiers cleaner wax on,wipe off, then after that come in with a better carnuba wax? Or would mixing those two formulas be bad?

Not a problem, go the cleaner wax route and come back in 24 hours and give it a good coat of Meguiars wax
thumbsup2.gif

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

What is the shelf life of the liquid waxes after you open and use them? Are they ok for a while?

Meguire's Cleaner-Wax is a decent product. It will clean well and go on and off easy. However, it will only give you about 3 months of protection. I use it on my RV because it is quick and easy and I keep the RV under a covered roof so I only wax it 2x a year and it still looks brand new. (It's a 2006) Oh and I use it on my mowers and all so it will do the job for your farm equipment. Just wax before and afer the season.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone! Great and very useful info.

P.s. Malo 83, I see you are retired military. Thanks for your service.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Malo83
Originally Posted By: cornbelt89

Not a problem, go the cleaner wax route and come back in 24 hours and give it a good coat of Meguiars wax
thumbsup2.gif

+1
Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Cleaner wax doesn't provide the good look. What I mean is, lets take a neglected car. The paint is dull and the color is faded, but when you hit it with the water hose the color comes to life. That is a way to tell when you need to wax (also water beading).

I used to use Mother's solid cleaner wax because all I knew was wax was wax. It also came out looking clean, but the micro swirls were always there and the sun just never seemed to hit it right and the moon never made it glow.

IMO, cleaner wax is just an alternative to a clay bar treatment. It will look smooth afterwards, but never give you a beautiful finish, and continue to give you dull color. Not worth it. I still have it and am mad at it for wasting all my time and not giving me good results such as that I've gotten from Turtle Wax Platinum or Meguiar's Gold.

Either don't waste your time, or do as was mentioned and follow it up with a non-cleaner wax.

I use Meg's cleaner wax only after clay barring. I don't think any cleaner wax can replace the effects of claying a car.

Originally Posted By: mjoekingz28
Cleaner wax doesn't provide the good look. What I mean is, lets take a neglected car. The paint is dull and the color is faded, but when you hit it with the water hose the color comes to life. That is a way to tell when you need to wax (also water beading).

I used to use Mother's solid cleaner wax because all I knew was wax was wax. It also came out looking clean, but the micro swirls were always there and the sun just never seemed to hit it right and the moon never made it glow.

IMO, cleaner wax is just an alternative to a clay bar treatment. It will look smooth afterwards, but never give you a beautiful finish, and continue to give you dull color. Not worth it. I still have it and am mad at it for wasting all my time and not giving me good results such as that I've gotten from Turtle Wax Platinum or Meguiar's Gold.

Either don't waste your time, or do as was mentioned and follow it up with a non-cleaner wax.

Water beads aren't a great way to tell if wax is still present. What if a wax, like NXT, is designed to sheet the water moreso than beading?

I don't get the moon making the swirls glow part...

A cleaner wax is not a replacement for a clay bar by any means.

Sorry roush.

After a good wax job, (depending on color I guess) the car will shine under the sun and glow under the moon.

The finish, not the swirls. I guess it happens with bright colors like white for instance. I detailed a white Mustang and it looked great under the light of the moon.

I get where you are going with it. I think that has more to do with the brightness of the moon though, lol, as long as the paint isn't covered in oxidation or CC failure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back