Meguiars All Wheel Cleaner Review

I last had my wheels cleaned at the BMW dealer when I had the pcv recall done on February 17th.

I sprayed them with the cleaner, let sit for 4 mins, scrubbed rinsed. I was pretty impressed how it melted off the brake dust.

Here are some before and after pictures of the front wheel. The rears were as clean as the front were after I cleaned them. It’s why I’m going ceramic pads on the front

IMG_3245.jpeg
IMG_3249.jpeg
IMG_3251.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
I've had good results with Meguiar's Hot Rims Wheel & Tire Cleaner in the past.
But will try vinegar and soap home brew next time. And yes, you need to scrub a bit more to get nice clean wheels. I clean alloy wheels on inside too before they go on when I do seasonal swap.

No chemical alone will remove baked on brake dust. Needs mechanical scrubbing.
yeah, it really doesn't come off.

The other front wheel has a ton of curb rash, so I will need to repair and paint anyways.

how was the smell, the purple color reminds me of Iron X which did a fine job but horrible smell.
I don't know how to describe the smell, smells like a weird grape. It didn't bother me. Seemed to go away after I rinsed it.

I've used Iron X with a Scotchbrite pad and plastic probe to reach in to nooks and crannies. Wheels had way more caked on brake dust residue than your wheel so it took more than an hour each.

200,000 mile Saturn
050.jpg

27 year old Buick
057.JPG

Half million mile Sequoia
059.jpg

No chemical alone will remove baked on brake dust. Needs mechanical scrubbing.
Depends how baked it is. This one had a few spots that were baked on and it easily came off with wheel acid:

When using that, you really should use a Scotchbrite pad to clean out the nooks and crannies before the crusty buildup gets too thick.

View attachment 148970
Please do not use Scotchbrite on wheels... this is a painted and clearcoated wheel like most OEM wheels. It will mar the clear at best. There is no "crusty buildup" that doesn't come off. I wash my Mazda's wheels literally twice a year and they come perfectly clean. If there is tar or something on the wheel, medium detailing clay is a good option if chemicals fail.

When using that, you really should use a Scotchbrite pad to clean out the nooks and crannies before the crusty buildup gets too thick.

View attachment 148970
Maybe a white scotchbrite, but most are way too aggressive on paint. I would use a polish or claybar instead to get the toughest bits.
Scotchbrite will break through the clear coat if used more than a time or two due to how abrasive it is.

I use a mix of car wash and dawn liquid. I use a nylon mesh scrubbie that's been washed a few times with towels. This washing removes the initial harshness of the the nylon mesh. These scrubbies are made by an organization that provides jobs for the blind.

I last had my wheels cleaned at the BMW dealer when I had the pcv recall done on February 17th.

I sprayed them with the cleaner, let sit for 4 mins, scrubbed rinsed. I was pretty impressed how it melted off the brake dust.

Here are some before and after pictures of the front wheel. The rears were as clean as the front were after I cleaned them. It’s why I’m going ceramic pads on the front

View attachment 148950View attachment 148951View attachment 148952

there are quite a few products out there that do the same thing. if that one worx for you , keep using it.. I've found that a bottle cleaning brush works wonders in the nooks and crannies..

Back