Meguair's Gold Class™ Liquid Wax

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just obtained some Meguair's Gold Class™ Liquid Wax and Car Wash Shampoo free after rebate.

I have not used it yet.

How does this stuff hold up? IS the wax a simple wipe on/hand buff off. or do other methods of application work better?

I have a Porter Cable, should I use it to apply it?

Thanks!

On a well prepped surface it holds up quite well and offers a very nice appearance. Use of a Porter Cable is, as far as I'm concerned, always a good idea when using a liquid wax as it makes the job of applying a very thin and uniform coat quite easy.

As for the Gold Class shampoo - hands down my favorite car wash. High lubricity and it leaves a very slick finish.

I tested Gold Class several years ago. While it did pretty well against other store bought waxes, I found it left a glossy shine but had average to poor durability (no more than 4-6 weeks) and it stained trim. Looks nice on a light colored or metallic paint job. Good choice if you prefer some "bling" to your paint. Be prepared to reapply regularly and be careful around plastic trim.

The shampoo is one of the better choices found at retail. Can't beat free, that's for sure.

I have been using Gold Class for the better part of 7 years on my 00 Honda Odyssey. Yes, it does give a nice shine but the durability as stated before is not the greatest. If you keep you vehicle garaged like I do, then it will last for about 4 months or so, but as in anything, your time may vary.
cheers2.gif

I've been using it for at least 7 or 8 years. When I lived in Atlanta, I used it once a year. In contrast to what others have said, I found it to be very durable, BUT I do a lot of surface preparation. I wash, then use a cleaner like Meguiars body scrub or clear coat swirl remover, then clay bar, then 2 coats of polish, and finally 2 coats of Gold Class wax. It's pretty much an all day job, but it lasts me a long time. Vehicles are garaged.

Now that I have moved to Florida, I am doing the above twice a year, due to the extreme heat and salt elements where I live.

I use it on my older "weekend" cars, that I want to look nice. These cars also sit in a garage and under cover most of the time, so it suits them well. It has great shine and is relatively easy to use.

Durability isn't great if you have to keep the car outside though. I am keeping my brothers Chevelle in my garage right now, so I moved one of my cars outside. With rain almost every day for the last month and a half, the Gold Class wore off pretty quickly. However, I did wax the Chevelle with the Gold Class last night, and it looks better than new (it has an excellent metallic two stage repaint about 3 years old).

It's great stuff to use on a garaged car that is rarely used, but I wouldn't use it on a daily driver.

I used the Mequires 3 step deal.

I added a Mequires polymer sealant between polish and Gold Class wax however.

It will make your car sparkle like new........

I was impressed, I used the polymer cause some folks said it didnt last a long time wax only

Same here, love the shine, but it doesn't last long.

I washed/waxed the Malibu two weekends ago. Here are some pics. And here's the kicker, these were taken after the car had been rained-on twice early last week.

p7280198.jpg

p7280190.jpg

All my truck has had since I got it new in 98... looks pretty good to me, and feels very smooth...

DSC_0731b.jpg

DSC_0734b.jpg

I've never used the wash, but I wouldn't waste my time or money on the wax. It just doesn't last. Zaino, Duragloss, or Klasse would be a much better choices.

I tried it once, and it works well. I'd class it together with the store bought Zymol cleaner/wax. Same depth and gloss, and about the same durability.
Zymol smells better though.

Never tried the carwash...I buy that in 5 gallon pails, so one brand lasts me quite a while. Auto Magic's Wash & Wax is one of the best carwash soaps I've ever tried. It was cheaper to buy a pail of it compared to one gallon, so I figured why not...It's not like it'll go stale.

I just used the Gold Class Wax and Gold Class Car Wash Shampoo, this stuff is great!

I just bought a '03 Tahoe with a Light Driftwood Metallic paint.

I washed it twice with the shampoo, then clayed the entire truck.

I followed up with two coats of Gold Class Wax.

Fantastic!

The Shampoo alone gave the paint a very smooth finish.

The Wax gave it an even smoother feel, puss really brought out the depth and enhanced the metallic paint.

Great Stuff!

Originally Posted By: GT Mike
Auto Magic's Wash & Wax is one of the best carwash soaps I've ever tried. It was cheaper to buy a pail of it compared to one gallon, so I figured why not...It's not like it'll go stale.

I'd never heard of them until a couple of weeks ago. I bought a can of their #15 carnauba paste wax and I gotta say I'm very pleased. It was like working with a tub of refrigerated butter. It's hard in the can, but once you touch it, it melts. I applied it with my orbital and removed it with microfibers and my car looks stunning and beads water like crazy. I can't wait to see what other things Auto Magic has in their arsenal for my car.

I have a 07 civic and bought the MEguiars Deep crystal 3 step with clay bar. Remember the better you prep the surface the longer the wax will stay on and the longer the shine.
DSC02851.jpg

Last edited:
I use the Griots Garage products with a DA Polisher.
Top Notch stuff there. Great sealants and waxes.
Also another great wax is 3m Perfect it Show car wax. Only get that in a paste. Goes on like melted butter and comes off fairly easy.
One more to add to your list is Harly Wax. One of the all time best.
Do a search for Harly Wax on eBay and you'll find it there. Or Google it and you'll find the distributor.

I'm not impressed with Meguiars products. Lots of marketing hype. Mothers would be a slight step up from them.

Last edited:
i like the appearance of the gold class, especially on a dark car. it's not the longest lasting wax, but a coat of eagle one wax as u dry (or something similar) every now and then helps substantially.

it's easy to apply and remove, both liquid and paste.

I have used the wash and wax for about 3 years. I like the lustre and the ease of application. I try to put 2 coats on my garaged car twice a year. I suspect it's not the most durable, but I like it.

I used meguiars exclusivley as a detailer due to the price point and the decent results for almost five years. However, I saw a post on here about Zaino and gave it a try and was blown away! The shine is deeper and Zaino is a very durable wax.

I waxed my own cars with the ZAIO and a coat of their CS in November of 2007 and it still beads today even through about 3 dozen washes and a horrible Chicago Winter.

I would spend the extra $ and go with some ZAINO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back