Meg's Endurance Tire Spray

Status
Not open for further replies.
Used this stuff for the 1st time this morning. My local Walmart has only had this stuff for a couple of months. Not sure what their deal is.
Looks very nice and I first sprayed it on a SLIGHTLY damp sponge before applying it. Nice glossy look, but not too much.
SHAKE THE BOTTLE WELL BEFORE USING. I figured this out after my first tire.

I will give a review of how it holds up over the next week.

I have eliminated ALL aerosols from my car care regime. Window cleaners, tire dressing, etc. I got fed up with the messy over-spray.

Rob

Watch out for your tires dry rotting by next year. Happened to me. Never used them again just 303 for me. Expensive yes but haven't had any issues yet. Way cheaper than buying new tires. The 303 bottle lasts the summer so not too bad cost wise. just my 2 cents.

I agree that 303 makes an excellent product and I use it on the interior of our cars. I was also using it on the tires for quite awhile until the new Meguiar's endurance tire shine was released. So far, the Meguiar's product is lasting longer than 303 and similar to 303, it has a UV protectant in the formula.

The difference is, Meguiar's uses petroleum distillates and 303 does not.

I am curious about the dry rotting of the tires. The endurance tire shine is new for 2011; are you referring to a different Meguiar's tire gel product that you experienced the issue with.

Originally Posted By: BIGJ552000
Watch out for your tires dry rotting by next year.

BIG 2nd. The best protectant for tires is *no* protectant. Tire dressings/protectant will make a zillion lil cracks all over the sidewalls. I just spray my tires down with the Eagle One Wax As U Dry everytime I wash my car and my tires stay looking like new. The last tire that was on my car when I bought it 7 years ago just had to be replaced (tread wear),and that`s how I cared for them. No dry rot/cracks whatsoever.

Well, I agree to an extent. Some dressings will brown your tires after a while. I've had an Auto Magic tire dressing do that to me, and it was a VOC solvent based dressing. Didn't happen to me using a silicon based dressing, but it didn't last near as long.

I'll see what happens with this one. Dry rot? Scary!

Originally Posted By: BIGJ552000
Watch out for your tires dry rotting by next year. Happened to me. Never used them again just 303 for me. Expensive yes but haven't had any issues yet. Way cheaper than buying new tires. The 303 bottle lasts the summer so not too bad cost wise. just my 2 cents.

Oh Brother! give me a break, I used Armor All tire spray when it first came out over 35 yrs ago and have been using Meguiars for the last 20 and not once have I had to buy new tires due to dry rotting, just like Pennz and sludge this rumor will never die
crackmeup2.gif

Discussions with the VP of R&D of Meguiar's via their detailing forum:

"As most of you know, tire companies build their tires with anti-ozonants build into them. These components are designed to leach to the surface when the tire is under load and in motion in order to protect the rubber from the ravages of ozone exposure. It's ozone that is the main threat to tires, not UV. Ozone levels can vary around the world, but it tends to be greater in and around large industrial cities and at higher elevations. So it looks like Los Angeles and Denver have more in common than they thought! As these anti-ozonants come to the surface and are exposed to oxygen, they turn brown; and this browning of the sidewalls is known as "blooming". Once out and on the surface, they've served their useful purpose and aren't really doing anything any longer - except maybe making the sidewall look less pretty than we'd like. It's a naturally occurring situation ("naturally occurring" as in "it's designed into the tire") and not caused by anything you've applied to the tire. Each tire company has their own recipe not only for the tires but the overall anti-ozonant blend as well. Yes, certain key ingredients are common to most, but it's how their combined, in what ratios, etc that will determine the level of blooming on a given tire.

I can tell you, from personal experience, that when we had 4 different cars at home, each with a different brand of tire, all four cars got the same treatment. That means the same cleaner used on the side walls, and the same dressings used on them as well. None exhibited any cracking that I ever noticed, but one brand of tire showed a noticeably higher level of blooming; ie, those darn sidewalls were always brown. How does this happen when four different brands all got the same cleaning and dressing? It's the tire. That's not good, bad or otherwise, it just is. That's the way the tire was designed. The tires that showed this high level of blooming were Michelins. The other brands were Falken, BF Goodrich and Continental, just for the record. In our VP of R&D's experience, Michelin and Pirelli tires seem to exhibit this to a higher degree than most. Again, that's not good, bad or otherwise, it just is. Both companies make some of the finest tires you can put under your car, no question about it. It's how they construct the tires and what they have in their anti-ozonants that creates this.

Now, fine cracking of the side wall of a tire is due to ozone attacking the side wall. It's quite common for a tire to be taken off a car and the same cracking to be found on the inboard sidewall, the one that never gets any dressing at all. Heck, it never really gets any cleaning either.

So, where do petroleum distillates come into play? Petroleum distillates (let's call them PD's) range from incredibly powerful solvents all the way down to FDA approved lubricants used in food processing plants. That's a pretty broad range. Some petroleum solvents are used in cleaning solutions that will strip that brown off the side of a tire in no time. Some of those might be a bit more harsh than what the tire really wants, or likes. Some might bet a bit deeper into the sidewall and strip out the anti-ozonants that are supposed to be protecting that outer reach of the side wall. Aromatic hydrocarbons, as they're called, are the type of PD's you don't want hanging around your tires as they are very potent. That's not a good thing at all. Meguiar's essentially has two tire dressings with PD's; Hot Shine and Endurance aerosol sprays. But here's the kicker with those - the PD's are basically the stuff that makes an aerosol an aerosol. They're the propellant that moves the ingredients out of the can and onto your tire. They are literally gone in a matter of seconds; they don't stick around on the side wall of the tire.

But what of silicones? Again, silicones encompass a huge variety of materials. We all know that silicones are a bad thing to have in a body shop because any little bit of it getting onto a prepped panel just before paint is sprayed will cause the paint to form fisheyes, a situation where the paint is literally pushed away from the bit of silicone on the surface. But body shops will sometimes use a product called fisheye reducer, which actually contains a type of silicone! Silicone in and of itself, especially in the context of car care products, is an inert ingredient, meaning it doesn't react with anything. Silicones are used to enhance or alter the characteristic of other ingredients - they can make application and/or removal of a product easier; they can help it spread out more readily; they can add gloss. When applied to the sidewall of a tire, they actually prevent - at least to some degree - the ability of ozone to penetrate to the rubber. That means the silicone can actually help protect the tire. Admittedly, this is stretching the point a bit because you're not putting that much product on anyway. Let's face it, we all know that heavy application of a tire dressing is a sure fired way to cause sling, and nobody likes that.

OK, so we've got two aerosol dressings that have a small amount of PD's used as propellants just to get the stuff out of the can. All the rest are water based - gels and trigger sprays like Endurance, M40, Hyper Dressing, Natural & Supreme Shine, etc. All do contain some level of silicone, in varying degrees, but none are harmful to the sidewall of the tire.

To our original poster here, The Dodge, have you looked at the back side of the tires to see if the cracking is there too? Do you have another vehicle with a different brand of tire that you treat the same way but does not have any cracking? Lastly, the area of the tire you describe, close to the rim, is also an area of the tire where there is less flex and movement, and therefore possibly less anti-ozonants being leached to the surface to protect against ozone.

We have every confidence that none of our tire shine products, whether trigger spray, gel or aerosol, will cause any sort of damage to your tires in any way. We have always stood behind every product we make, 100%. That means if you don't like the way it works, we'll give you your money back. It also means that if it damages a surface it's designed to be used on (when used according to directions, of course), we'll take care of you there too. It is extremely rare that we end up buying new parts or contributing to the cost of repairs - not because we fight those claims tooth and nail, but simply because our products aren't causing this sort of damage. That's true of paint care products, cleaners, vinyl dressings, and tire shine products."

Rumors ARE rumors till it happens right before your eyes.I had those goodyear triple tread tires([censored] tires btw) on my prior car(GTP). Let me tell you after using at the time(about 3-4 years ago) Meguiar's endurance tire shine(clear bottle, purple gel) that stuff SEEMED to be good till the following year when all these cracks appeared.
Fast forward, new car, new tires now only using 303 or sometimes nothing. Guess what.... so far nothing, no cracks just nice black tires. So to anyone who thinks this doesn't happen with using this junk is sorely mistaken. Or just keep buying those cheap pepboys tires every year as that would solve the problem altogether.LOL
Correct me if I'm wrong but the whole purpose of using tire dressings is 1.to make them look nice/still like new. & 2.protect the tires from the elements. So if this stuff does one for awhile then fails seems like waste of money.

I have been off the site for a while, came back to check on something that I thought odd. This is it.
In the past, I have always used some form of tire dressing, whether it was Son of A Gun Tire foam or Turtle Wax gel or other products similar. I have also always been a big user of Meg products. We bought some Megs Endurance Tire Shine a few years back and used it on all of our tires, including two sets of Metzeler ME 880 Marathon tires on both of our bikes, the RV, and my wifes 4 Runner. I have never, ever had problems with dry rot. Within a year, the Metz tires were cracking all in the side wall. They were new the first time I used the product. A year and half later and my wifes 4 Runner tires are cracked. The tread was worn to the point where they needed to be replaced, but the ME 880s cost me about 900 bucks to replace. Needless to say, I am hesitant about using this stuff.

Quote:
new car, new tires now only using 303 or sometimes nothing. Guess what.... so far nothing, no cracks just nice black tires.

BIGJ: were the new tires also GY Triple Treads? only if they were the exact same tire can one say that 303 was safer. If they were a different tire, you/we know nothing.

And why would anyone need to use this stuff on GY TTs? i thought they had that perma-black compound that keeps the dark look always.

For those who had dry rot: did anyone look at the inner sidewall (the one that would not be dressed)? Did anyone contct Megs about their garentee?

I have just used the Endurance spray can and it is FANTASTIC!

The spray pattern covers the tire in one pass. I sprayed all four tires in under 20 seconds!!!!!

No over spray either!

Now, on to the whole "dry rot" thing.

There is NO proof, ZERO, that dressings cause dry rot.

Just because YOU used dressings and your tires dry rotted that does not mean dressings = dryrot.

It's as simple as that. So, if that is your argument, case closed. You have no idea what those tires would have done had they not seen dressings. They may have dry rotted quicker. Slower. Not at all. But you have no idea what THOSE tires would have done. So you have no leg to stand on in making an observation.

All I have to say is any thing that has petroleum distillates for tire care(which is most of the garbage on the market) will stay far far away from my tires. Think what you want. Dressing w/Petroleum distillates (usually found in those super ultra shiny shiny high silicone content dressing) can cause rubber & vinyl to crack. To be safe use water based dressing like: Zaino Z16, 303 Aerospace, Lexol Vinylex, Griots Rubber & Vinyl.
Also by the way, straight from 303 Aerospace website:
Other Degradants
"Petrochemicals and silicone oils can remove the protective waxes and increase the rate of degradation. Common automotive "protectants" and "tire dressings" are typically devoid of UV stabilizers of any type and contain petrochemicals and/or silicone oils which dissolve away the protective waxes and can actually aggress the sidewall. In the event of warranty sidewall failure, one of the first things tire manufacturers look for is evidence of the use of these types of products. When found, this is often cause for not warranting the sidewall failure.

303 For Tires
303 Aerospace Protectant contains no petrochemicals or silicone oils and does not remove the protective waxes. 303 is actually absorbed into tires, delivering its unique set of powerful UV stabilizers into the tire polymer, supplementing and surpassing the UV protective action of the carbon black, and leaving a long-lasting flexible protective finish that is water repellent, detergent resistant, and will not attract dust. Ozone must eat through the 303 before it can get to the wax. 303 is an extremely effective anti-oxidant and anti-ozonant. 303 is the longest lasting, most powerful protective and beautifying treatment for tires and all other synthetic and natural rubber."
So keep drinking your kool-aid. I guess I'll happily keep drinking mine.

It never fails to amaze me how one companies marketing lingo is kool-aid and another's is gospel.

I can walk out in the driveway now, both cars have no cracking, my utility trailer has lots. The cars get dressing every wash and the trailer did once, then I noticed the cracking the next spring. I don't blame the dressing, works fine on all my other tires. I believe it's the lack of use that caused them to crack. Aren't tires supposed to seep oils as the rubber is flexed with use?

Personally, "Aerospace Protectant" would steer me away anyway, makes me think of something like Slick50. To each their own I think.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back