Mechanical oil pressure gauge issues:

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently noticed that my oil pressure gauge in the neon doesn't like to go down when i turn the car off. Is there anything in the line that i should look for that might be causing it to get backed up? I don't think anything is wrong with the gauge itself, and i'm using decent copper tubing. I'd like to switch it back to nylon, but people seem to freak out about that for some reason.

Gauge staying "up": could be in the gauge itself. Maybe disconnect the tubing to test? If there's no pressure when not running, probably the gauge. If the needle drops when you disconnect the tubing, mebbe something upstream.

Copper vs Nylon tubing: For what it's worth, back in the olden days('60's & '70's), everyone recommended *steel* tubing for mechanical oil pressure gauges. The claimed reason was that copper would fatigue & break. About 34 years ago, I was riding in a car when a copper OPG line broke- made one %#@&* of a mess!
shocked.gif
Folks more car-savvy than me said breaking *inside* the cabin was unusual- they said it usually happened close to the block. Nylon line usually needs the little steel inserts on the ends to seal completely so the ferule doesn't crush the tubing. I'd prefer that to copper, but not by very much, & it may be tough to find those little inserts.

If it was my car, & I *had* to run a mechanical OP gauge, I'd look for some steel tubing. Copper line worries me a lot. Even better, IMO, would be a good modern electrical gauge. Accurate enough, & it'll *never* hose down your cabin with hot motor oil.
wink.gif

It's reading out of the cylinder head, so the pressure is relatively low (20-30psi tops). I'll try unhooking the gauge and see if that is the culprit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back