Mechanic tools and warranty's

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by PowerSurge
Originally Posted by Exhaustgases
I have S&K tools I use on my vehicles. Never had to warranty any tool I have that was made by them. Buy once cry once. Cheap tools need their "lifetime warranty" for a reason.

I have a SK ratchet that is missing half of the area that holds the ratchet assembly, all broke away, the rest of the handle looks great. In the tool test videos SK did not do too well. My old 1964 or so SK sockets are very soft and show lots of wear. SK over priced for the quality. I also have some very worn Snap ons as well. If you never had to warranty a tool then you must not use them much. The tools I warrantied the most where old US Craftsman flex sockets that were assembled using roll pins, yeah stupid, they ended up with the whole set back. I think I ended up with Protos, and then years later craftsman woke up, maybe from all the returns and started using solid pins.

I went back and re-read your post and let me get this straight....you're complaining about nearly 60 year old tools? Seriously? All tools will eventually wear out. I don't care who makes them. You should be VERY happy with your S&K tools. Have you ever heard the saying, "nothing lasts forever"? Lmao

I actually retired the SK sockets since most are sk wayne, I still occasionally use the ratchet though, I guess those old sk belong in the box with my dads old plumb tools. I stilll use the combo sk wrenchs though, yeah they all have seen lots of action in their time.

I have S&K tools I use on my vehicles. Never had to warranty any tool I have that was made by them. Buy once cry once. Cheap tools need their "lifetime warranty" for a reason.

I have a SK ratchet that is missing half of the area that holds the ratchet assembly, all broke away, the rest of the handle looks great. In the tool test videos SK did not do too well. My old 1964 or so SK sockets are very soft and show lots of wear. SK over priced for the quality. I also have some very worn Snap ons as well. If you never had to warranty a tool then you must not use them much. The tools I warrantied the most where old US Craftsman flex sockets that were assembled using roll pins, yeah stupid, they ended up with the whole set back. I think I ended up with Protos, and then years later craftsman woke up, maybe from all the returns and started using solid pins.

Why not see if S&K will warranty the tools?

Really? You are moaning about 1964 tools being worn out, seriously? I have worn out lots of tools over the last 48 years, sockets and wrenches get sloppy, ratchet mechanisms get worn and sloppy, pliers get loose no matter who made them given enough use.

You replace them its that simple. I got more than 30 years out of some ratchets before they became so worn a kit didn't help them much, 30 years is more than a good run out of the tool. SK Wayne were good tools.

Originally Posted by Astro14
Originally Posted by Trav

There is a lot to be said for that line of thinking.

+1

I've never had to warranty a tool*

* I could have, I suppose....There was that Craftsman 3/8" drive deep 13mm that I used with an air ratchet decades ago...when it shattered, I realized that I needed to get some 3/8" impacts for that ratchet, and I bought a new, made in the USA socket from Sears as I reckoned the breakage was my fault.

One of my first tools I had to warranty was an SK that was made incorrectly. Bought it from Tool Topia. The SK customer service lady told me I should have bought it direct? Whatever that means. Either way, they made it right and I have no reason to complain.

I once was an SK fanboy as I have a few that belonged to my grandfather as well as all the new I bought, but that comment rubbed me the wrong way. I will say their tiny 1/4" ratchets are awesome though. I always use mine.

Originally Posted by dlundblad
Originally Posted by Astro14
Originally Posted by Trav

There is a lot to be said for that line of thinking.

+1

I've never had to warranty a tool*

* I could have, I suppose....There was that Craftsman 3/8" drive deep 13mm that I used with an air ratchet decades ago...when it shattered, I realized that I needed to get some 3/8" impacts for that ratchet, and I bought a new, made in the USA socket from Sears as I reckoned the breakage was my fault.

One of my first tools I had to warranty was an SK that was made incorrectly. Bought it from Tool Topia. The SK customer service lady told me I should have bought it direct? Whatever that means. Either way, they made it right and I have no reason to complain.

I once was an SK fanboy as I have a few that belonged to my grandfather as well as all the new I bought, but that comment rubbed me the wrong way. I will say their tiny 1/4" ratchets are awesome though. I always use mine.

It's a poor customer service employee response defending their brand. Since you bought authorized retail it was uncalled for. That's not corporate SK's response though I would bet. They probably would reprimand the employee if they knew further up the staff chain. SK is now very expensive I just looked up a 15 piece combination wrench set and it was almost $400. In fine print it says $709 retail price, ouch.

https://www.tooltopia.com/sk-hand-tool-86265.aspx

It was much more expensive to buy direct. That's why I went with TT and that's what I told her.

I also posted about their issues on Facebook and received no response. I'm not done with the brand, but they certainly aren't my first pick anymore.

I have very little Craftsman anymore, most of it was replaced with better quality years ago. Most of what I have left are flat head screwdrivers and SAE sockets that I dont use often. That said, since Lowes started selling Craftsman I have not had an issue getting a tool replaced on warranty.

Most of my hand tools are Snapon with some Cornwell thrown in. If I break either brand, its a text/call to the dealer and another one gets dropped off when he is in the neighborhood, generally within a few hrs. If I need it now I will run to meet him to exchange. Have never had either dealer deny warranty on a hand tool

My Matco 1/2 drive impact gun has just reached the end of it's life...I may get it running again, but it's so worn it's not going to be much use to me. It's 30 years old, I doubt if there is a Matco agent in NZ anyway. I think I'll skip the Matco lifetime warranty. Our Matco guy, who started the Matco trucks here, didn't bother with any warranty stuff, broke any tool he supplied and it was replaced. I'll be looking on the lower end of the scale for a replacement....but it's still got the do the job for me.

Stanley/Black&Decker is building a brand new plant in Fort Worth, TX to build craftsman tools - hoping that this move reinvigorates the brand with quality and fair prices. Bringing the production back to the USA is a good start.

Originally Posted by Silk
My Matco 1/2 drive impact gun has just reached the end of it's life...I may get it running again, but it's so worn it's not going to be much use to me. It's 30 years old, I doubt if there is a Matco agent in NZ anyway. I think I'll skip the Matco lifetime warranty. Our Matco guy, who started the Matco trucks here, didn't bother with any warranty stuff, broke any tool he supplied and it was replaced. I'll be looking on the lower end of the scale for a replacement....but it's still got the do the job for me.

Nobody warrants air tools for more than a year here in the states.....That I know of anyway. Of coarse Matco doesn't make anything outside their toolboxes, So your impact is most likely a Ingersoll Rand or a Chicago Pneumatic.

Yes, mine has the Matco logo cast into the body, and there was an alloy plate saying Made in Japan, since lost. But I have seen identical guns with Chicago Pneumatic, and also another brand I've forgotten...so a pretty common impact gun with various brand names. Did CP have a factory in Japan ? I used to have a Desouter air ratchet, Made in Japan, so in the '70's and '80's Japan may have been churning out air tools with branding of your choice, much as China does now.

A lot of CP tools come out of Japan, My CP die grinder is made in Japan.

My new IR 231 impact is made in China, Seems just as good as the USA made Cornwell branded IR 232 it replaced.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back