Mechanic charging for diagnostics?

Very normal to pay for diagnostics and analysis. Usually find this cost is offset against the necessary work completed by the same shop. More than ever, I think it is now worth buying an OBD 2 scanner to at least read the trouble codes, recognizing this is only the beginning of the journey. I am currently exploring bi-directional readers for Euro vehicles. Many options and price points so not an obvious decision. iCarsoft at the top of my list at the moment.

With even a relatively simple battery replacement requiring a reset, anticipate it will pay for itself after the first couple of uses.

Just like a doctor. You pay to find out what is wrong first. There are labs and tests and you pay for them too.

No way you can waive the diag if they do the repair. Here’s and example. You agree to 1 hour initial diag charge. If the tech figures it out in an hour which is maybe a 30% chance. And the actual part it say .3-.8 to replace if you waived the diag fee you would be losing money

So hypothetical 100/hr. You would have 100 in diag. But if repair was .3 that’s only 30 bucks. I can’t make a shop run on 30 labor repairs. If I tell you it’s 1.3 then some smart ass claims it’s only .3 and you are ripping them off. You can’t waive diag

Some of the service contracts don’t want to pay diag. I told one of the “inspectors” when he asked how I came up with the diag I told him I guessed. He looked baffled and said what… said I guessed. You don’t want to pay diag that’s all I can do. And my guess is probably better than some guy off the street

No way you can waive the diag if they do the repair. Here’s and example. You agree to 1 hour initial diag charge. If the tech figures it out in an hour which is maybe a 30% chance. And the actual part it say .3-.8 to replace if you waived the diag fee you would be losing money

So hypothetical 100/hr. You would have 100 in diag. But if repair was .3 that’s only 30 bucks. I can’t make a shop run on 30 labor repairs. If I tell you it’s 1.3 then some smart *** claims it’s only .3 and you are ripping them off. You can’t waive diag

Some of the service contracts don’t want to pay diag. I told one of the “inspectors” when he asked how I came up with the diag I told him I guessed. He looked baffled and said what… said I guessed. You don’t want to pay diag that’s all I can do. And my guess is probably better than some guy off the street

I stopped dealing with 3rd party warranty/service contract work. I'm not going to be told how to run my business.....Been in many arguments over Chrysler labor times.

Drivability, Electrical, EVAP, & HVAC jobs get charged a "Time Spent" Diagnostic, I rarely charge diag fee's for brakes/steering/suspension unless the customer backs out of the repair.

I look at it this way. A doctor will charge you that much for 5-10 minutes of time to tell you if you are sick or not.

I can’t DIY a Dr note. Last time I checked surgery costs more than a checkup…

The fair answer is obviously not to charge a blanket diagnostic fee, unless you’re so busy that you can do whatever you want. If that’s not the case, why turn people on limited budgets off to even coming into your shop and missing out on a certain percentage of potential customers who either can be sold on additional maintenance while there or might come back as repeat customers?

Obvious solution:

Charge an hourly rate of your choosing for diagnostics, which should satisfy everyone in this thread. If the troubleshooting requires consumables, charge for those, too. To make it worth small, easy jobs, make it a minimum of X shop time for each diagnosis so you’re not peppered with tons of five minute OBD scan jobs.

It is not acceptable for a shop, in this very specific instance (not some hypothetical situation requiring tons of training and expensive equipment), to charge hundreds of dollars if they literally end up pulling the code and deciding to swap the sensor, taking all of five minutes. This is just an example, mind you. If the OPs issue takes longer, see the previous paragraph.

An hour of labor charge for diagnostics is normal.
Yeah, but on top of actually doing the job? I just want to pay for the mechanics actual time and materials, including the time spent on diagnostics. If the diagnostics take 10 minutes and replacing the sensor is another 30 minutes, charging 1.5hrs of labor seems a bit much to me... I guess in some areas people will pay that, but it seems around here that would be unusual.

Is it industry standard to be charged a diagnostic fee? Yes. Usually 1 hr for a visual inspection or easily verified complaint, 2 hrs (or more) if it involves electrical or any driveability issue.

Do many technicians deserve to be paid for their "diagnostic work?" No comment.

It's different if you know them and have some established relationship, but basically no decent mechanic has the time for random people who won't pay for diag. They are probably really busy, and their time has value. Also random people coming in with their own diagnosis tend to be pretty high risk.

The only reason my Explorers get worked on with no diag is we are all on the same page with BS.

It’s is a fair charge if upfront . I believe customers who took free diagnosis and declined estimate spoiled the free ones before.

Test equipment and tools are expensive, plus you can't put a price on knowledge, so, I have to respectfully disagree.
Well I think most employers make the value of knowledge and experience quite clear!
I guess the lines get blurry when the work is charged "by the hour", but not for using a scan tool? Lifts aren't cheap either, but I expect the expenses of being capable of doing the job to be included in the hourly rate?
For me I don't like forking out hundreds dollars for a simple job like in the original post, there are lots of jobs that are worth 100's of dollars an hour to me, but replacing a knock sensor isn't one of them. If I run into something I can't do or figure out, I also have no problem paying a mechanic for their time.

Last edited:
I defer these type questions to the actual shop owners that pay the rent, taxes, utilities and consumables bill. They arent running a charity. Just another reason to develop a relationship with a shop that treats you fairly. People that hit and quit shop around rarely get the deals they are looking for.

Back