MB229.5 and MB229.51

Im learning a lot about oils in general. So i bought some redline high performance 5w40 because of the mb 229.5 certification. I also just found out redline high performance 5w40 is not approved by mercedes because it doesnt say MB-Approval? The oil should still be good because it meets the mb 229.5 qualification right?
If they say so. That’s the thing, it comes down to trust in the blender’s recommendation when an oil doesn’t have the approval.

Im learning a lot about oils in general. So i bought some redline high performance 5w40 because of the mb 229.5 certification. I also just found out redline high performance 5w40 is not approved by mercedes because it doesnt say MB-Approval? The oil should still be good because it meets the mb 229.5 qualification right?
As much as I respect Redline products, I would be hesitant making that assumption.

From what I have read, MB makes it very easy for oil companies to get their products MB approved, so it makes me suspicious when a product is claimed to meet an MB specification, but doesn't have MB approval.

Hmm. According to Bevo, Redline does have an Approved 5W-40. Look here.

Is this what you got? If yes, it has MB approval.

Or did you go with this? I found it interesting that it doesn't have the approvals that the Professional Series does, but actually costs more.

@BHopkins Right, the one on Bevo is the Professional-series, the black bottle product and its cheaper. I bought the more expensive “performance” series hahaha. I have a 21 amg 63 with the m177 4.0 v8.

This is for my initial break-in oil change and i may use the professional-series after that. From my understanding, the professional-series is for longer change intervals and better fuel consumption so maybe i have to do another oil change before i hit 10k miles.

Or did you go with this? I found it interesting that it doesn't have the approvals that the Professional Series does, but actually costs more.

Cheaper HC with a small drop of PAO vs more expensive PAO & POE blend.
I'd run that RL performance series only after warranty expired.
Better to read and/or ask the forum first, then purchase oil accordingly.

There is zero reason to use their Professional Series, a while back it was shown to be exactly the same as some common brand which is available for far less cost.

There are more than a couple 229.5 oils available at Walmart for a very good price. Castrol 0W-40 and Mobil 1 0W-40 are two.

I already bought the redline performance so ill just use it and do another oil change at 5,000. After reading the forums i think ill be going with M1 fs 0w40 or the amg performance 5w40 just because its actually Approved. Thanks everyone

Edit - i think i found my oil, again lol. Motul 8100-xcess 5W40 gen 2. The only mb-approval 229.5 and 226.5

Last edited:
Again, why take the risk and use that non-approved oil now, why not run it later after the warranty expired? Motor oil doesn't get bad in just a few years. M1 is fine, Motul isn't better.

Again, why take the risk and use that non-approved oil now, why not run it later after the warranty expired? Motor oil doesn't get bad in just a few years. M1 is fine, Motul isn't better.

That actually makes more sense.
Logically, I believe M1 is more than great enough but i dont know why i rather spend the extra money on a foreign oil! 😭😂

Logically, I believe M1 is more than great enough but i dont know why i rather spend the extra money on a foreign oil! 😭😂
It's easy to imagine that rare and expensive things are better than cheap and common things, because... they often are. As you well know, having bought a C63. :]

For engine oil, all you can really know (that matters) is whether it meets the manufacturer's spec, and the best way to know that is whether it's approved by the manufacturer. Anything beyond that is guesswork, and any marginal benefit would most likely be meaningless anyway. Known exceptions to this are so rare and sketchy that you might as well assume they never occur.

So yeah, those Red Line and Motul options might be better than Mobil 1 0W-40 -- or they could just be more expensive and harder to get.

So yeah, those Red Line and Motul options might be better than Mobil 1 0W-40 -- or they could just be more expensive and harder to get

I would pick Mobil1 0W-40 over Red Line or Motul any day of the week disregarding price - that it can also be acquired for cheaper, makes it a no brainer for me in a MB 229.5 application.

It's easy to imagine that rare and expensive things are better than cheap and common things, because... they often are. As you well know, having bought a C63. :]

For engine oil, all you can really know (that matters) is whether it meets the manufacturer's spec, and the best way to know that is whether it's approved by the manufacturer. Anything beyond that is guesswork, and any marginal benefit would most likely be meaningless anyway. Known exceptions to this are so rare and sketchy that you might as well assume they never occur.

So yeah, those Red Line and Motul options might be better than Mobil 1 0W-40 -- or they could just be more expensive and harder to get.

True true, very good points there. I got motul coming my way lol i need to scratch the itch.

who would you trust

paid shills or amg

Attachments

• CE11F09E-904D-47BD-8B65-2827F1F38F67.jpeg
    CE11F09E-904D-47BD-8B65-2827F1F38F67.jpeg
    127.5 KB · Views: 77
Last edited:
No there is higher shear in thicker oils which heat them up faster. Shear is where most of the heat is generated.

Shedding heat later is different and I don't know about that.
Do all thicker oils really retain their heat longer resulting in faster warm up?

OR

Does this only apply to thicker oils which don't depend on large amounts of VII in order to hit their target hot viscosity?

Do all thicker oils really retain their heat longer resulting in faster warm up?

OR

Does this only apply to thicker oils which don't depend on large amounts of VII in order to hit their target hot viscosity?
It would be irrespective of the makeup, it's about the viscosity however that is obtained. Whatever the viscosity is at the particular instant.

Originally Posted by Quattro Pete
Originally Posted by Pelican
Originally Posted by Tikka
Hi
As anyone who has read my posts will have realised, my knowledge of all things on BITOG is in its infancy, but I am learning.
Could anyone tell me the difference between mb229.5 and 229.51? Is the latter just an evolution of the former? I am thinking 229.51 evolved to 229.52.
Many thanks. Tikka.

Yes that's the evolution of MB oils. They are backwards compatible and forward progressing.
wink.gif

They are not backwards compatible.

If your diesel engine calls for 229.51 oil, then you should not be using 229.5 oil in it.

That would be asking the 229.5 to be forwards compatible, not the 229.51 to be backwards compatible.

The compatibility question was never answered.

If an oil bottle lists 229.51 approval, and the car requires 229.5, is the 229.51 compatible?

Can someone state yes or no and possibly explain where the compatibility information came from?

The compatibility question was never answered.

If an oil bottle lists 229.51 approval, and the car requires 229.5, is the 229.51 compatible?

Can someone state yes or no and possibly explain where the compatibility information came from?
Yes it’s compatible.

Back