MB 229.1/3/5 fuel economy

When it comes to the 229.3 spec sheet, MB states : "min. 1.0% fuel saving compared to 229.1". Same thing for the 229.5 oils, they claim they should AT LEAST get you 1.8% better MPG. That's what i am understanding. How's that possible? It sounds like we are talking about CAFE and something that's usually achieved with xW20 oils.

Usually, 229.1 oils are 15/10W40 while 229.5 are 5W40. The way i see it, they run their fuel economy test by simulating short trips in cold weather only. I don't see how there could be se much difference between a 15W40 with say a typical 4 HTHS vs. a 5W40 at around 3.8 HTHS, same cSt once they're both hot. Do you know what kind of test they run? How is it possible?

MB sheet 229.1 approved oils
for passenger cars with gas and diesel engines, used to be minimum spec for latest (98+) engines, high detergent, dispersant spec suitable for normal drain intervals. Based on ACEA A3, B3. Note 229.1 oils are not recommended for MB's latest (2002+) 4 valve gas M271, M275, M285 and diesel OM646, OM647, OM648 engines.

MB sheet 229.3 approved oils
for passenger cars with gas and diesel engines with extended drain interval indicator FSS up to 20,000 km, or 40,000 km - 25,000 mi, current minimum spec for 1998+ MB engines, min. 1.0% fuel saving compared to 229.1, based on ACEA A3 B4. For gas engine of the M100 series, gas engines of the M200 series and diesel engines of the OM600 series (not models with Euro 4 diesel particle filters).

MB sheet 229.5 approved oils; "MB Longlife Service Oils"
for passenger cars with gas and diesel engines with extended drain intervals beyond 229.3 oils, to 30,000 km, min 1.8% fuel saving, first oils introduced summer 2002. ACEA A3 B4. For gas engines of the M100 series, gas engines of the M200 series and diesel engines of the OM600 series (not models with Euro 4 diesel particle filters).
229.5 engine oils must be used with fleece oil filter designed for use with 229.5 engine oils.

Going from 4.0 HTHS to 3.8 gives you 5% fuel consumption reduction in the hydrodynamic lubrication regime, even with warm oils. You are running slightly more in elastohydrodynamic (good for fuel consumption) and more in boundary lubrication (mixed). Of course, the oiling system is only responsible for a fraction of the total fuel consumed, so you reduced 4-5% of a fraction of the total fuel consumption.

Basically working on reducing friction with optimized base oils, additives, evaporation, sludge...

Example between 229.1, 229.3 and 229.5 ACEA test are the same except:
- min TBN (highest for .5)
- noack (lowest for .5)
- sulphur-phosphorus-chlorine (report for .1 and report+limited+same for .3/.5)
- min hths same for all
- shear stability (highest passes for .5)
- fuel economy test CEC SG-L-54 (highest for .5)

Obviously formulation is different for all.

A filter made of synthetic material instead of paper. Both paper and fleece filters are available for many MB engines starting with the M112 V6 and the M113 V8. From what i have heard MB calls for a fleece one for extend OCIs of 10K+.

IMG_2761 copy.jpeg

Last edited:
I put in a Mann yesterday, like this:https://www.autohausaz.com/pn/HU7116Z, but nowhere on the doz or so web sites I looked at, did they say what the filter material was made of. Looked much like the Wix I replaced. I'm sure it doesn't matter as I change every 5K or sooner. I do have a couple of Mahle's for future changes.

Doesn't matter for 5K. For me, the only way to be sure if the filter is fleece or paper is to look at the it before you buy it.

When it comes to the 229.3 spec sheet, MB states : "min. 1.0% fuel saving compared to 229.1". Same thing for the 229.5 oils, they claim they should AT LEAST get you 1.8% better MPG. That's what i am understanding. How's that possible? It sounds like we are talking about CAFE and something that's usually achieved with xW20 oils.
The fuel economy tests in the MB specs (and ACEA, API and other OEMs) do not work on "mpg" as the result, they work on measuring the actual fuel consumed in a test engine mounted in a room. The fuel economy saving is down to the mass of fuel consumed (or not) - there is no accounting for vehicle mass, tyre pressure, aerodynamics, traffic, topography or any of the myriad other factors that influence "mpg". So a 1% saving on the test engine will never translate to a 1% saving on the road, not even close.

MB dealers in the US don't generally even use the fleece filters themselves. Don't know if its because of price or availability. When I got some for the wife's 2017 300E I could not even find any fleece media ones, so just got the MANN normal ones...I change every 5000 so don't see an issue anyway.

I only ever see this reference to fleece filters in the US.

On a UK based Mercedes forum the concept of a fleece filter doesn't seem to exist, we use ordinary filters and generally change them to the MB schedule of 15000 miles or 12 months. Because I'm only doing 3000 miles per year or less I've been changing my filters every 2 years and have never had a problem with standard Wix filters.

Back