MB 228.51 spec in gasoline engines

btw, I also use PP 5W-30 in this car. I will take a look at PP Euro L as suggested in this or another thread.

Thinking about switching to low SAPS or any oil that passes some cleanliness test within reasonable price. Not sure if just being low SAPS does it or do we need a test or spec (e.g. MB228.51 or MB 229.51, etc.) to back it up. I kind of like the idea of verification.
Dexos2 oil should work as well.

Thinking about switching to low SAPS or any oil that passes some cleanliness test within reasonable price. Not sure if just being low SAPS does it or do we need a test or spec (e.g. MB228.51 or MB 229.51, etc.) to back it up. I kind of like the idea of verification.

Thanks for all the great info guys.
ACEA C3 is the base spec. Dexos2, BMW LL-04, and MB229.51 all build on ACEA C3, I'm not sure which is the most stringent, but MB229.51 has a 10% NOACK limit. MB229.52 kind of builds on top of MB229.51 but has more stringent oxidation requirements and includes LSPI testing, but LSPI isn't a major concern outside of small displacement turbo engines, and MB229.52 oils like Mobil1 ESP 5W30 or Pennzoil Euro L 0W30 are typically only sold by the quart and are pretty steep and I'm not sure they are very beneficial to use in a Hyundai GDI engine where the oil is gonna get dumped frequently.

How does MB 229.51 compare to MB 228.51? Hard to compare on Lubrizol since one is a passenger car spec while the other is a heavy duty spec.
MB229.51 is 0.8% max ash, 6.0 mgKOH/g TBN min, 10% Noack max, 3.5 cP HTHS min plus a bunch of other tests including LSPI.
MB228.51 is 1.0% max ash, 7.0 mgKOH/g TBN min, 12% Noack max, 3.5 cP HTHS min plus a bunch of other tests targeting HD engine parameters.

They are difficult to compare in terms of engine performance because they are tested in a different set of engines to achieve qualification.

Back