MB 228.51 spec in gasoline engines

What is the least expensive engine oil that meets MB 228.51 and can it be used in gasoline engines?

I believe most any diesel oil can be used in gasoline engines, so why would you want it to meet MB 228.51?
Low SAPS or extended drain?

I read some doc about very good cleanliness (pistons, ivd, etc.) with oils meeting this spec. but the spec SA was iirc rated as > %1 which didn't make sense. I was expecting < than some % to be listed and not higher ... but that's another question.

I read some doc about very good cleanliness (pistons, ivd, etc.) with oils meeting this spec. but the spec SA was iirc rated as > %1 which didn't make sense. I was expecting < than some % to be listed and not higher ... but that's another question.
MB229.51 is a heavy duty spec, akin to CK-4 or ACEA E6/E9 which are typically limited to 1% to help protect the DPF but also have decent anti wear and oxidation properties, whereas older HDEO standards had no limits and created much more sulfated ash but were horrible for DPFs.

MB 228.51 requires SA to be less than or equal to 1%.

that is the confusing part. I was also expecting a less than some limit but not greater.
according to lubrizol360 link below:

Daimler MB 228.51

requirement --------------------------- method ------------------- unit ------- limit
Sulphated AshASTM D874%wt> 1.0

Last edited:
I believe most any diesel oil can be used in gasoline engines, so why would you want it to meet MB 228.51?
Low SAPS or extended drain?

Nice list of oils meeting this spec! Thanks.
Never heard of bunch of them. :)

Couple of the names from the list that i've heard of are Shell Rotella T6 and Mobil Delvac 1 ESP.

M1 is listed for 100,000 miles! Is that a typo?

From Mobil website:

Mobil Delvac 1™ ESP 5W-30​

Mobil commercial-vehicle-lube , United States
High Performance Advanced Synthetic Formula Low Ash Diesel Engine Oil

Product Description

Mobil Delvac 1™ ESP 5W-30 is an advanced synthetic heavy duty diesel engine oil for long and reliable service. The development of this product summarizes more than 90 years of ExxonMobil's research and development knowledge. The goal was to define a product that addresses all features required with modern on-highway truck applications, including those with emission control systems1. This top performance product offers unsurpassed oxidation stability³ which results in engine cleanliness promoting efficient and smooth engine operation. The robustness of Mobil Delvac 1™ ESP 5W-30 meets or exceeds the longest oil drain intervals defined by major global manufacturers, offering protection during extended oil drains up to 100,000 miles¹. It was also developed and tested to protect the engine with the use of biofuel components to consider different diesel fuel qualities and future, sustainability related fuel components. The advanced lubricant formulation helps to gain fuel economy benefits in modern engine applications². The outstanding wear protection performance of Mobil Delvac 1 ESP 5W-30 is the result of extensive and close cooperative development work of ExxonMobil with major equipment builders. As a result, this product meets or exceeds the requirements of the latest API and ACEA industry specifications for diesel engine oils, as well as the requirements of many major American, and European engine manufacturers.

¹ Please refer to the owner's handbook for OEM application requirements and oil drain intervals for your vehicle or equipment.
² Compared to an SAE 15W-40 engine oil. Actual savings are dependent on vehicle engine type, outside temperature, driving conditions, and your current engine oil viscosity.
³ Based on PC-11 industry test data.

Features and Benefits​

Mobil Delvac 1™ ESP 5W-30 is an outstanding lubricant solution for modern and latest engine technology equipped with emission After-Treatment devices. It was developed by ExxonMobil to maintain unsurpassed oxidation stability performance to meet long oil drain intervals and support low maintenance efforts. Mobil Delvac 1™ ESP 5W-30 keeps at the same time critical and hot engine parts clean, also while bio diesel fuel components are used, for long and efficient engine life. This feature, in combination with the sophisticated additive system, ensures exceptional engine wear performance and supports long engine life. The low ash formulation protects at the same time all exhaust after-treatment parts required to meet emissions regulations.

The key benefits of Mobil Delvac 1™ ESP 5W-30 include:
FeaturesAdvantages and Potential Benefits
Unsurpassed thermal and oxidation stabilityPrevention of deposits and smooth engine operation
Step out wear protectionReduced engine wear to promote long engine life
Bio fuel compatibleMaintains engine cleanliness and protection with bio fuel components
Enhanced fuel economy potentialReduced fuel consumption
Extended drain interval capabilityFewer oil changes and less oil disposal
Emission system protectionEmissions system durability and performance

Applications​

Recommended by ExxonMobil for use in:

• Most engine generations up to latest and most sophisticated high performance diesel engines with turbo-charger, direct injection and low emission designs, featuring all types of exhaust after-treatment technology

• Heavy duty diesel engines using low sulfur diesel fuels and many biodiesel fuel formulations

• Naturally aspirated and turbo-charged diesel powered equipment

• On-highway short-haul and long-haul trucks and buses

• Off-highway equipment

Specifications and Approvals​

This product meets or exceeds the requirements of:
ACEA E6
ACEA E7
ACEA E9
API CK-4
API CJ-4
API CI-4 PLUS
API SN
API SM
JASO DH-2
DAF Extended Drain
CATERPILLAR ECF-3

Last edited:
Shell Rotella T6 multi-Vehicle meets MB228.51 and it's $26.67 for 5 qt. at Wal-Mart. Not bad.

M1 ESP is a pretty good oil but double the Shell price and kind of expensive for a 6K miles OCI.

The real question is how much MB228.51 really helps with the IVD. TBD

7D7635D8-8C92-44DD-93A4-1277C90D2B1C.jpg

Only the 5W-30 has this approval. Does Walmart carry this particular grade?
Nope, if you want a low SAPS oil for a passenger car, I think Pennzoil Euro L is a much better choice, it's only $22 for 5qts it's rated ACEA C3 and API SN and carries MB229.51, BMW LL-04. and DEXOS2, so it's limited to .8% sulfated ash and has a minimum 3.5 HTHS, the HTHS is prolly a little overkill for a N/A Hyundai engine but the 0.8% sulfated ash and sub 10% noack should be nicer on the intake valves.

1621944013530.jpg

Nope, if you want a low SAPS oil for a passenger car, I think Pennzoil Euro L is a much better choice, it's only $22 for 5qts it's rated ACEA C3 and API SN and carries MB229.51,
How does MB 229.51 compare to MB 228.51? Hard to compare on Lubrizol since one is a passenger car spec while the other is a heavy duty spec.

Still, for a passenger vehicle, I would agree with you to just go with 229.51. It appears to be great at deposit control while being low SAPS. Only VW 511.00 and Porsche C40 beat it.

How does MB 229.51 compare to MB 228.51? Hard to compare on Lubrizol since one is a passenger car spec while the other is a heavy duty spec.

Still, for a passenger vehicle, I would agree with you to just go with 229.51. It appears to be great at deposit control while being low SAPS. Only VW 511.00 and Porsche C40 beat it.
228.51 should have a higher TBN as it's meant for extended drain intervals in heavy duty diesels, 229.51 may encounter more rapid TBN depletion when used with the higher sulfur gas that is still allowed to come out of some US refineries even though we should be entering the final phase of the 10ppm limit being enforced where small refineries no longer have an exception but in typical EPA fashion they've allowed a lot through the cracks batches can have as high as 100ppm as long as a 10ppm annual average is maintained, also there's some credit crap where if one refinery puts out gasoline below the 10ppm limit consistently they can sell credits to other refineries that have exceeded the 10ppm annual average so pretty much you never know what you're getting at the pump in the US. Although on a Hyundai where almost all conditions are considered severe service and the oil gets dumped around 4000-5000mi, it's probably not a huge deal.

I imagine lots of these oils are dual rated for gas/diesel.

I don't mind using the 40 especially in the summer. We just came back from a trip to Nevada and lots of 75- 80 mph speed limits and 90F+ ambient temp ...
I had bought some M1 FS Euro 0W-40 and Castrol Euro 0W-40 and used the Castrol for this trip. Can't say we noticed any mpg hit and the car was fully loaded. Over 2800 miles and the oil level stayed at Full. Granted the car doesn't burn oil in general. 5W-30 is the lowest I've ever used. I typically use 10W-30 in summer but 0W-40 Euro oils looked good with the price.

Thinking about switching to low SAPS or any oil that passes some cleanliness test within reasonable price. Not sure if just being low SAPS does it or do we need a test or spec (e.g. MB228.51 or MB 229.51, etc.) to back it up. I kind of like the idea of verification.

Thanks for all the great info guys.

Back