Mazda6i and media question....

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know there are many opinions about oil filters, but i'm specifically worried about the media. My mazda6 has a cartridge filter so there are no ADBVs and bypasses, etc....The filters come with just media, solid endplates, and two o-rings.

So as to my question, what brand of filter would have the better media? Some of the options I have found so far are:

-mazda OEM (dunno who makes them now, Mahle?)
-Wix 57203 or napa gold 57203
-Carquest, made by wix
-AC Delco
-STP
-Baldwin p7313 and hastings assuming they are the same)
-both purolator lines
-fram (i know normal filters are crap, but what about just media?)
-motorcraft
-possibly autozone or advanced auto house brand filters

Thanks for any information you great posters can provide.

Unfortunately we tend to have more opinions than facts, especially when it comes to filter media. I tend to like OEM filters. Before I came here, I had verified that AC has more media in their canister filters than any others I checked. Any fool with a hack saw and a type measure can do that. It tells you nothing about the quality of the media. You can look up beta ratios, but that just tells you how well the filter filters when new, nothing about the critical dirt holding capacity and the dreaded bypassing later in the OCI. Others here give good reports on OEM filters.

Of course with the cartridge filter, you don't need the hacksaw. I would tend to trust Mazda and use their filter if you have a convenient, reasonable priced source. I don't think $8 at my snotty stealer is reasonable for a PF 2244G for my Cavalier. When it was new, I could buy the same Purflux filter in a Hastings or Fram box. Since with a little bother, I can get Purolator L 15436's for $3 or less, I am using them now. There was a time when you could trust established brand names. Hope purolator doesn't get Bosched up.

The Fram CH 9018 isn't as obvious piece of trash as the PH line. Some here have bad mouthed it. Since I have no idea about the quality of the media, I see no reason to Pay $8 for one when I can get an ST or Purolator for less.

I can get the mazda oem's for $5.95, so thats not horrible. I could get the Purolator's budget one for around $4. I could get a wix variation for around $5. I dont mind sticking to the OEM, i just wish i knew who made them and how good the media was.

Thanks for your reply.

no opinions on just filter media? Will cartridge filters contain the same media?

Like labman stated, we are all just full of opinions. We don't really "know" which is the best filter. However, we do have impressions of which filters are good, better, best. The only filter manufacturer that publishes real beta numbers for filter is Wix. You should try and look it up on their site. Here are my pics for Good Better and Best filters.

Best;Mobil 1, K&N, Pure 1, Amsoil Ea.
Better;Wix, STP, Motorcraft, Napa Gold, AC Delco
Good; Purolator prem plus, ST, Bosch

Filters I won't buy. Fram Extra Gaurd, Penzoil, "house brand" filters except ST. IMHO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back