Carquest cartridge filter QC issues

Long time listener, first time caller. I'm usually a snob about filters and oil, like many of us here. But in the interest of convenience, I decided to use the Carquest filter that I got from Advanced with the 5 gallon oil jug combo. Now, I need 8.5-9qts in my truck, so I need to buy two gallons. Two gallons = two filters. I also had a filter leftover from my last oil purchase (I used a Mahle filter I had bought previously on for that change), so last night I had my choice of three Carquest cartridge filters, all the same PN.

One didn't fit, the snout was a few mm too thick to fit inside the housing on the motor side. It looks like the taper wasn't cut into it.
Another was missing one of the two o-rings on the snout of the filter.
The third? Just right.

I already bought a Mahle filter to either have on the shelf or replace the Carquest filter as soon as it comes in, but it will probably be fine? I'll more than likely just run a short OCI with this change, and go back to buying my oils and filter online (my local Walmarts are extremely hit or miss and not worth the trip). I also realized my last two changes with with regular pennzoil platinum, and not the ultra platinum, I wasn't aware they changed the branding and colors up on the jugs.

Just wanted to post my experience.

Who made the CQ filter? In my application the CQ filters are Hengst or Mann.
I didn't see any markings that I could figure out. I'll post up some pictures when I am home, I didn't take any in the garage last night. Definitely different than the Mahle filter, but I've only had the truck a year and a half so far and have only used the Mahle filter.

In my observation this sub forum, with cartridge filters fit in housing is critical. If one is unfamiliar with the aftermarket application, not used or seen reviews by others using, going with the OEM not a bad idea. I would say the second cartridge filter missing one of the orings, something a pre purchase inspection would notice?

Imo, if the CQ you installed seemed to seat in housing and install properly, likely fine for oci. But, don't blame you for having your doubts.

In my observation this sub forum, with cartridge filters fit in housing is critical. If one is unfamiliar with the aftermarket application, not used or seen reviews by others using, going with the OEM not a bad idea. I would say the second cartridge filter missing one of the orings, something a pre purchase inspection would notice?

Imo, if the CQ you installed seemed to seat in housing and install properly, likely fine for oci. But, don't blame you for having your doubts.

The one that fit definitely fit "right." I'm familiar enough with the cartridge style filters to know the feel when they're seated. But yea, when 2/3 filters aren't good its definitely cause for concern.

Some creative googling and I believe its a Wix 57279. That was the exact typeface on the filter. Mine was made in Jordan, it seems that you can get the same PN but made in china, according to some amazon reviews.

Screen Shot 2022-01-28 at 11.31.54 AM.png

1643388064668.jpg

Last edited:
Back