Mazda Skyactiv-X Not Coming To US?

That’s the scuttlebutt. Take Jalopnik with a grain of salt but in this case Mazda has been greatly affected by the goings on this year. It couldn’t have been worse timing for them.

Is it just me or does 177 horsepower in a small car like a Mazda 3 still seem very sufficient? I remember when cars of that size, some 20 years ago, were putting out maybe 130-150HP or even less but still bought and sold with regularity.

And wow 44-55 mpg is crazy and 16.3:1 compression ratio!

The USA won't get the 16.3:1 compression engine. The USA and a few other companies got a detuned Honda Civic Type R (FK8) as the equivalent octane rating in the UK is USA 95 not 91. I think Mazdas Diesel cx-3 was three or more years late. It'll be interesting to see. It's unfortunate that people can drop $100k on a new vehicle and then complain it has to have premium fuel. This was a regular occurrence when I sold Vehicles at a Lexus Dealership.

The USA won't get the 16.3:1 compression engine. The USA and a few other companies got a detuned Honda Civic Type R (FK8) as the equivalent octane rating in the UK is USA 95 not 91. I think Mazdas Diesel cx-3 was three or more years late. It'll be interesting to see. It's unfortunate that people can drop $100k on a new vehicle and then complain it has to have premium fuel. This was a regular occurrence when I sold Vehicles at a Lexus Dealership.
Many areas only have 91 at highest. That's all we have here, and I see plenty of 1-200k vehicles. It's just what it is.

There seem to actually be a higher and a lower compression version (around 15 vs. above 16), then there are the different octane rating standards of japanese domestic market, european market and US-market obviously, and in addition there's the SPCCI's problem of suffering from high octane rating in the low register and from low rating in the high register of course. At some point they changed strategy for some market and so it all became a bit fuzzy (at least combined with complaints of people falsely regarding it as a supercharged vehicle, who then see it as lacking power).
Don't know, if the right blend would result in tuning of the acute torque curve from refill to refill. Engine management might have flexibility in it to have one play around, ignoring warranties of course. But it is quite probable that the US would start with the expected Skyactive-SiX, not the current four.

Spending an extra $0.50-$60/gallon(my locale) to get extra MPG , no thanks! Never buying a premium drinking car unless it is a real sports car.
I dunno, I view fuel as incidental. My CX5 takes 87 or 93. I gain 27bhp by using 93. That's worth it to me, even though I've only timed it to make maybe a few tenths difference to 100, and some magazines have not tested a difference. It's a few bucks a tank, and that's not a big deal, so there is a demographic that will appreciate a little more power and utility of a few more miles between stops, if the cost is only higher octane.

Is it just me or does 177 horsepower in a small car like a Mazda 3 still seem very sufficient? I remember when cars of that size, some 20 years ago, were putting out maybe 130-150HP or even less but still bought and sold with regularity.

And wow 44-55 mpg is crazy and 16.3:1 compression ratio!

It's definitely more than enough. My last commuter was a 2016 Mazda3 with the 2.0L - I think that was right around 155. My current car's a Forte GT. The Kia's got a 1.6T that puts out 201 HP but I almost never use all of it.

I remember when 88HP was enough.

Never have I driven an 88HP car except maybe VW Rabbit GTI 1982(90HP) that It was enough for fun due to lightweight. Ford had a bunch of dog cars with that number especially when coupled to their 3 speed auto. They all bogged down going longer hills at highway speeds.

Never have I driven an 88HP car except maybe VW Rabbit GTI 1982(90HP) that It was enough for fun due to lightweight. Ford had a bunch of dog cars with that number especially when coupled to their 3 speed auto. They all bogged down going longer hills at highway speeds.

You just had to remember no to turn on the air conditioning until you got up to speed. I don't live in the mountains so I have no idea about that part.

I doubt that it's a issue of insufficiently high octane fuel being available in the US, also octane number standards are different in Europe (and other parts of the world) than the US. Nissan is selling their variable compression 2.0L VC-Turbo engine in the US which has up to 14:1 compression. I think it's more likely that Mazda figures it'll be a very niche product given that it'll be a pricey option on an economy car that will require premium fuel. An economy car that is not very affordable and requires expensive premium fuel might strike some people as not a great deal.

That’s the scuttlebutt. Take Jalopnik with a grain of salt but in this case Mazda has been greatly affected by the goings on this year. It couldn’t have been worse timing for them.
Mazda realizes with cheap gas most people in the USA will NOT want to spend extra money for the X engine.

Very high tech engine that is better suited for Europe.

They have to put one thru emissions testing, an expensive proposition since diesel gate. Then they can sell it.

Rod

Back