Mazda Skyactiv Oil Catch Can

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I just purchased the Mazda in my signature. I'm starting to think about how I want to maintain it and I wanted to see what everyone thinks about installing an oil catch can.

Since the Skyactiv is DI I was wondering about the merits of an oil catch can. Since DI motors are known for oil blow-by ending up in the intake and PCV allowing buildup, I was thinking this might be a good preventative measure. Does anyone have any experience with such a system on a DI engine? Do you think it would be worth installing to try to contain the blow-by?

This is what I am looking at: Skyactive Oil Catch Can

Let the debate commence...

I have read on several forums that catch cans don't work. Especially on VW engines. I've never seen before and after pictures of intake valves, to prove that it works,after long service. Check on a Mazda forum for better info.

Last edited:
Well it won't let me edit, so excuse my typo.

Have you seen the installation instructions for their catch can? I would rather pull the intake manifold and clean the valves if and when the time comes. It's an easier job.

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
Well it won't let me edit, so excuse my typo.

Have you seen the installation instructions for their catch can? I would rather pull the intake manifold and clean the valves if and when the time comes. It's an easier job.

I agree and "stretching" the end of a rubber hose is shady...

The Skyactiv engine has a large, effective oil/vapor separator under the intake manifold. Accessing the PVC hose will be difficult and requires removal of the intake manifold. I doubt you'll get much benefit out of a catch can.

Thanks all. I think you have steered me away from it, especially since it already has an oil separator. I will have to take the intake manifold off eventually to replace the PCV anyway, so I can inspect and clean it then.

Here is the girl in question:

IMG_20170127_130353_1.jpg

Originally Posted By: SF0059
Thanks all. I think you have steered me away from it, especially since it already has an oil separator. I will have to take the intake manifold off eventually to replace the PCV anyway, so I can inspect and clean it then.

Here is the girl in question:

IMG_20170127_130353_1.jpg

Drool... I love the look of the Mazda 6....

There is no PCV valve replacement interval indicated in the shop manual, which I purchased. I think Mazda employed something that does not require periodic maintenance, but time will tell. I have 72,000 trouble free miles on my 2012 Mazda3 Skyactiv.

I am worried about DI carbon deposits on my VW, as they had issues in the past. This engine is too new to know still, but to be proactive, I run RLI Bio-Plus in the gas and LC20 in the oil.

The $/mi of these is quite minuscule (I think I calculated the RLI to be $.25/tank), as such a little amount is needed for maintenance dosing.

You can go that route if you want to feel like you're doing something. I also do not plan on running an FI cleaner like techron/regane, with this regimen, as it shouldn't be needed.
The LC20 also helps me believe that the 10k mile OCI on a DI turbo engine is not too long.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back