Mazda SkyActiv OE Tokyo Roki cut open

Status
Not open for further replies.
This came on a friends new 2020 Mazda3 hatchback. 2.5L SkyActiv engine and AWD. This was an early oil & filter change to get the out the newness. No ADBV on these as they are installed base-up.

Enjoy!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

As the oil looks like something I might pour out of a new jug, I'm curious what the interval of the "early oil and filter change"?

And yeah, filter looks fine too.

Thanks for c&p.

Originally Posted by LotI
This came on a friends new 2020 Mazda3 hatchback. 2.5L SkyActiv engine and AWD. This was an early oil & filter change to get the out the newness. No ADBV on these as they are installed base-up.

Enjoy!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I wish I could get hold of these OEM supplied made-in-Japan 66mm Tokyo Roki's. Only ones available in North America are the Thai plant made ones, 65mm.

Last edited:
Filter looks great! and wet from unused oil! - and most likely better in that shape than the new one that went on! - Mazda-Roki-filters are almost impossible to find....everything is from the -MV (mazdavalue made in mexico) value line etc nowadays....

Considering there's not a fleck of anything at all in that filter, I'd say it was completely unnecessary, plus now your friend lost the notable high-moly FF. I know "common knowledge" is that engine assemblies are horribly dirty and machining techniques leave lots of detritus, but that "common knowledge" hasn't applied to Japanese engines for at least 25 years. I have zero personal worry about running a brand new Japanese engine for whatever the manufacturer says, and that engine will last as long as it ever will anyways.

I'd actually tell your friend to drain whatever oil you put in and put the factory oil back in. Thanks for the C&P though!

If there was anything left in the new engine from manufacturing, it was probably caught in the filter in the first 50 miles. I typically don't do the first oil change untill 1500-2000 miles.

I've learned finally to not do an early oil dump on a new engine

2000-3000 miles at the earliest.

Also trying for 10K mi oci after break in.

I have been enjoying: lower wear, lower, cost. lower waste product

and more free time!
smile.gif

Originally Posted by tundraotto
Filter looks great! and wet from unused oil! - and most likely better in that shape than the new one that went on! - Mazda-Roki-filters are almost impossible to find....everything is from the -MV (mazdavalue made in mexico) value line etc nowadays....

We get the Thai plant's filters these days here in Canada. I don'recall if they're labelled Tokyo Roki.

Originally Posted by Cdn17Sport6MT

We get the Thai plant's filters these days here in Canada. I don'recall if they're labelled Tokyo Roki.

Just checked... no, not labelled Tokyo Roki. Having said this, likely mfr'd in Tokyo Roki's Thai plant. They're Mazda-branded.

Originally Posted by tundraotto

I've seen nothing that would indicate that the Thai filters are lower quality, and the Mexican ones are at the very least good enough or Mazda wouldn't use them.

Originally Posted by 53' Stude
Lotl: what oil and filter went back in and on? Thank You and filter looks great
smile.gif

RGT 0w-20 and a XG7317 that I had since selling my Mazda & Honda cars a couple years ago. Factory size is 6607 but I wanted to get it on before it aged too much. The longer filter fits fine. It was still labeled as a 15k filter. I have a XG6607 for the next change. I will keep it on a 5k(severe service) interval as it will be short-tripped and not warmed regularly. I'll probably stick with 10k filters, like I did with my M6.

From now on the car will see 5w-30 for as long as I take care of it. I have a good stash of VME and RGT(thanks AZ!). The VME is barely a 30 so that will get used first. Mazda says 0w-20 in the US & Canada, 5w-30 everywhere else...we all know what guides that!

As the oil was draining I could tell it was still pretty clean but I won't see this car all the time. There were a couple of other tasks that day so I took advantage. We de-badged the rear, added a rear seat cover for the dog, put a nice license plate cover on, removed the front plate, and Rain-Xed the windows.

I purchased one of these last Friday, but mine is a 2019 leftover. I'm not going to change the oil until the dummy light(s) tell me to. That strategy has worked out well for me in the past.
smile.gif

Originally Posted by cpayne5
I purchased one of these last Friday, but mine is a 2019 leftover. I'm not going to change the oil until the dummy light(s) tell me to. That strategy has worked out well for me in the past.
smile.gif

You need to research "rot lot". Good luck

Originally Posted by PimTac
Nothing wrong with the Thai filters.

Fist batch of filters that caused oiling problems on my cars.

Thai made- Denso.

First on a Suzuki 2.3L Aerio
Then on My Wifes Toyota Rav 4
Then on my Toyota Yaris.

All ran FINE on the factory denso, then had no oiling with the thai denso

Put the Factory back on car ran quiet and excellent,

Put the Thai back on, the horrendous engine noise returned..

Ruined both engines before I could find a good alternative. ( N0n e-core champ = GOOD)

This is the reason I joined this forum and NORIA

Build looked OK , must of been too fine a mesh on the filter media or too much application
of resin binder.

Cant tell the filter paper efficacy by "looking " at it.

Proven poor quality. Period. I'm staying away.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by ARCOgraphite
Originally Posted by PimTac
Nothing wrong with the Thai filters.

Fist batch of filters that caused oiling problems on my cars.

Thai made- Denso.

First on a Suzuki 2.3L Aerio
Then on My Wifes Toyota Rav 4
Then on my Toyota Yaris.

All ran FINE on the factory denso, then had no oiling with the thai denso

Put the Factory back on car ran quiet and excellent,

Put the Thai back on, the horrendous engine noise returned..

Ruined both engines before I could find a good alternative. ( N0n e-core champ = GOOD)

This is the reason I joined this forum and NORIA

Build looked OK , must of been too fine a mesh on the filter media or too much application
of resin binder.

Cant tell the filter paper efficacy by "looking " at it.

Proven poor quality. Period. I'm staying away.

Now THAI Food = excellent.

Wild Boar Basil = YUM!
and of course PAD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back