Mazda Protege filter HELP

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just got a Protege and can't believe how small the filter is; somewhat the size of a shot glass. Is there a bigger/ better filter out there that will fit this. I guess it might not be necessary but it sure is scarry to look at.
Thanks for the help
Smoky
bowdown.gif

It would help if we knew the filter model #. At least the car year so we could look it up. I'm guessing it's the 7317 (Fram/Supertech numbering). If it is the 7317, try the following oversize alternatives:
3593A (direct replacement)
3985 (larger gasket diameter, check it carefully before using it).

I don't know Purolator's X-ref off the top of my head, but you can plug them in on their website and find out.

I think the filter you are talking about is a 2876. You can get a 2867 which is a little longer. Those are Champ filter numbers, they are the only numbers I remember for those filters before our work started using other filters with different numbers on it.

Get a filter for a 626 V6 - it fits perfectly and is a little bigger. I use it on my Protege5.

In fact, Amsoil has the same filter for both cars

Funny, I typed 6607 into Purolator's website and got L14612. I then typed 6607 into Napa's website and got FIL1365. Finally, I typed L14612 into Napa's website and got FIL1064. It looks like one of them is getting discontinued.

The thread size listed on Napa's page is 20x1.5mm. This is the same as the 7317/3593A/3985. Perhaps there are other differences I'm not aware of.

i also have a protege. i believe that most mazdas use 1 of 2 filters, either the bigger one or the smaller one. either of them fit. you can use a larger supertech 7317 if it makes you feel better. nobody here has been able to give me proof that a larger filter helps anything other than the psycological factor of "bigger is better".
i will admit that the filter is tiny though.

heres your proof.

i doubled my oil pressure at rpm's from idle to 3000rpm by using a larger filter.

this is with a very quick reacting aftermarket guage.

I've found the OEM filter to be excellent. Quality throughout and top notch components. Larger filters will fit. (Mazda 626 filter) However, I have only read personal opinions on why the recommendation in the Mazda owners manual should be eschewed in favor of a larger filter. To my knowledge, nobody has ever provided scientific proof to substantiate their claim that the larger filter performs better in Mazda automobiles.

quote:

I have only read personal opinions on why the recommendation in the Mazda owners manual should be eschewed in favor of a larger filter.

did you not read what i wrote? i doubled my oil pressure man. thats not opinion, thats fact!

K&N HP-1010 is probably your best bet. There is also the Mobil 1 1-110. And yea the 7317. Just look up tha filter application for the 2000 Nssan Maxima. You could even go with the Nissan OEM
grin.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Joe1:
To my knowledge, nobody has ever provided scientific proof to substantiate their claim that the larger filter performs better in Mazda automobiles.

Scientifically, I can't substantiate my claim that the larger Mazda (Tennex) filter is better than the dinky little filter. However, the HLAs in my 89 626 used to make a **** of a racket using the small filter, whereas they're quiet through the 3k miles using the larger filter. Scientific? Nah. Better for the car? Probably.

the 6607 is the same filter that goes on my 99 altima. the bosch premium 3323 is bigger from autozone.

Oil pressure is resistance to flow. More pressure = less flow, less lubrication beyond the bearings. (upper cylider, etc.) - now what you want in an engine.

Crypto: It would help to know where you installed the guage, up stream or down stream of the filter? What kind of car did you do the test on?
If pressure goes up down stream of the filter it would indicate better flow, to me.
More input please.
Smoky the stupid
confused.gif

the oil presure guage is mounted after the filter.

this mean the pressure between the filkters outlet and the breaings are twice as high as normal. which is good thing, and thisisnt disputsble. this is direct before and after ttesting with the same oil.

I'm hoping that his aftermarket gauge sender is mounted AFTER the filter.
There's more to engine oil pressure than simple resistance to flow.

I've seen more oil pressure with larger oil filters. It seems that the engine oil pressure regulator hangs on longer(400-700 rpm) before venting. This is important to me when shifting at 8500 rpm. Thats about 7-10 psi more oil pressure in the engine because of more oil flow(caused by pressure regulator opening later), not because of more resistance. Oil pressure response is also more active in the lower rpms.

Once everyone understands that an oil pressure regulator mounted after the oil pump will respond differently with larger(or with normal sized less restrictive filters), then you'll understand why more oil pressure after the filter is possible(and less psi before the filter) which is better for your engine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back