Mazda, most fuel-efficient automaker in US - EPA

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have nothing but good things to say about my 6. It will be a year old in march and I averaged 28 MPG since then. This is almost all around town driving with no long hwy miles.

Originally Posted By: Bladecutter
Just think about the fact that people only ever want to compare brand x and brand y cars with the V6 engines against the Mazda's.

Funny how no one wants to compare the 4 cylinder versions of the same cars against the Mazdas.

I have owned 2 Mazdas so far, and I can easily see myself owning more over the years. Out of all the other car companies I've owned cars from, only Porsche is the other brand that I have already owned that makes a product that I would buy today. Pontiac doesn't exist, Chevy and Buick don't offer anything I want, and there isn't a Nissan made today that I would chose over the equivalent Mazda offering.

BC.

Honda S2000 with 2.0L (2.2L '04 and later) easily beat Mazda Miata on any track any day, rain or shine. S2000 is so much better, engine and chassis, than Miata such that no one compares them. Do you think Miata has any chance to win over S2000, both are stock, on a track ?

They only compare S2000 with Porsche Boxster, BMW Z3, Z4 and MB SLK back in early 2000's, all of which are 6-cyl.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR

Honda S2000 with 2.0L (2.2L '04 and later) easily beat Mazda Miata on any track any day, rain or shine. S2000 is so much better, engine and chassis, than Miata such that no one compares them. Do you think Miata has any chance to win over S2000, both are stock, on a track ?

They only compare S2000 with Porsche Boxster, BMW Z3, Z4 and MB SLK back in early 2000's, all of which are 6-cyl.

Yeah, let's compare two cars, one the original with a minimalistic design approach that has garnered great success by NOT trying hard, and the other-- over-priced, poor-value, try-hard with only one unique benefit, the purposely tuned VTEC engine.

There are multiple reasons the S2000 will never be as successful as the MX-5, ever.

Successful in what way? They are very different vehicles. The S2000 is a far more focused vehicle with a much more developed drivetrain than the Miata. The Miata is supposed to be a fun Sunday driver.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: JC1
Mazda's may be good on gas, but the are terrible when it comes to keeping rust at bay.

http://www.autonet.ca/en/2013/10/09/top-10-best-and-worst-rust-resistant-cars

Regards, JC.

Rust testing requires time. This Mazda6 that the OP bought is too new to have any valid data on. While in the past Mazdas did have rust issues, is it possible these new ones are better in that department?

In VT 2007 Mazda 3's are pretty rusty here and there. A very rare site for modern car.

Oh wow!
When did Honda start offering the S2000 as a new vehicle again?

Oh wait...
They aren't are they?

And last time I checked, there were a few RX-8 vs S2000 comparisons.

BC.

Oh wow!

Oh wait...
They aren't are they?

BC.

You want to compare 4-cyl Mazda with 4-cyl Honda ? Miata vs S2000 is not valid comparison ? How about Miata with factory turbo option compares with stock S2000 ? RX-8 is a convertible ?

Honda is well known for their engines, in term of performance and reliability.

Originally Posted By: dparm
Very impressive for Mazda considering they don't do hybrids and have almost no diesel offerings. Then again, they don't build any huge vehicles to suck down the average.

I was surprised to hear that Mazda became the most fuel-efficient automaker, but then I recalled than they discontinued RX-8 recently.

Originally Posted By: Zako2
Originally Posted By: dparm
Very impressive for Mazda considering they don't do hybrids and have almost no diesel offerings. Then again, they don't build any huge vehicles to suck down the average.

I was surprised to hear that Mazda became the most fuel-efficient automaker, but then I recalled than they discontinued RX-8 recently.

The CX7 was axed also, my 2007 turbo 2.3 has averaged about 17 mpg over the last 85k miles. Both my cx7 and my 2001 miata are rust free even though they live in a seaside environment, with winter salted roads thrown in.

I'm hoping that mazda will bring the 6 ILoop wagon to the US. maybe even the diesel.

Oh wow!

Oh wait...
They aren't are they?

BC.

You want to compare 4-cyl Mazda with 4-cyl Honda ? Miata vs S2000 is not valid comparison ? How about Miata with factory turbo option compares with stock S2000 ? RX-8 is a convertible ?

There's a fair amount of subjectivity in comparisons. The RX-8 was compared with a BMW M3 in one comparison....and won.

How many times did Honda win in Group C at 24 Hours of LeMans? None. How many races has Mazda won in Formula One? None. Mazda is still the only Japanese manufacturer to win the 24 Hours of LeMans. Honda has won 3 Formula One races.

Half the cars on SCCA racetracks are Mazdas. Half. The implication that the MX-5 Miata is a less than a sports car is not supported at SCCA.

As far as reliability, the 4 rotor Mazda 787 won on reliability. The Jaguars and Mercedes Benzes were faster but the Mazda was more reliable.

Originally Posted By: Spazdog

Oh wow!

Oh wait...
They aren't are they?

BC.

There's a fair amount of subjectivity in comparisons. The RX-8 was compared with a BMW M3 in one comparison....and won.

How many times did Honda win in Group C at 24 Hours of LeMans? None. How many races has Mazda won in Formula One? None. Mazda is still the only Japanese manufacturer to win the 24 Hours of LeMans. Honda has won 3 Formula One races.

Half the cars on SCCA racetracks are Mazdas. Half. The implication that the MX-5 Miata is a less than a sports car is not supported at SCCA.

As far as reliability, the 4 rotor Mazda 787 won on reliability. The Jaguars and Mercedes Benzes were faster but the Mazda was more reliable.

Not to mention it sounded/sounds WAY better!

Originally Posted By: 97tbird

and AGAIN, Mazda DOES make a full size mini van! are people blind ???

The 5 isn't a full size minivan. It's a nifty and probably appropriately sized minivan for most, but it is definitely not the size of a "traditional minivan" inside or out. Put one next to an Oddity, Sienna, or just about anything other than a 1990s MPV and it will look and feel quite small. The 5 to me feels not much bigger than a 3. I drove one yesterday, and unfortunately drive and work on a variety of minivans, so I'm not basing this on pictures or magazine specs.

Mazda got this title because their lineup does completely lack the biggest, heaviest vehicles out there...body on frame and true full sizes. They have no F-150 or Tundra. Not even the B4000 anymore. The 5 is smaller than the last MPV was. The CX9 is low volume, and still not that big really. Almost any company that makes SUVs has one (or a couple) that are larger than the CX9.

Not saying Mazda should do anything different, but if their lineup looked like other lineups, it would be a wash.

Originally Posted By: 01rangerxl
Originally Posted By: 97tbird

and AGAIN, Mazda DOES make a full size mini van! are people blind ???

The 5 isn't a full size minivan. It's a nifty and probably appropriately sized minivan for most, but it is definitely not the size of a "traditional minivan" inside or out. Put one next to an Oddity, Sienna, or just about anything other than a 1990s MPV and it will look and feel quite small.

The current Mazda5 is longer than a standard length 1st generation Caravan. It's Japanese gauge so it is a little narrower than the 1st gen Caravan but only about an inch or so.

The current Odyssey and Caravan are probably bigger than most body on frame Domestic vans from 30 years ago.
Yep. I checked
Current model Caravan length: 202.5 inches
'71-'96 LWB GM G-series van length: 202.2 inches

The minivan is bigger than a regular wheelbase G10/G20.

So the Mazda may well be the only "minivan" left. But you are correct. It is not a "full-size minivan". The others would be full-size vans 30 years ago.

A Madza5 is a okay decent vehicle for a family of 3-4. Absolutely useless and not practical for a anything more. However it only offers space for one to two persons(with no cargo) in a pinch vs majority of vehicles which offer cargo space + room for one more squeezed in.

I assume the sales are paltry on this one.

Why bother?

Different is better.

If Mazda were making the same line-up as it's competition, it would be redundant.

I for one am glad they make something different. If they make what you want, buy it. If not, don't.

Best overall fuel economy is largely a meaningless figure. But then it's not the only largely meaningless bit of potential ad copy out there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back